Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tornado!  (Read 5531 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Tornado!
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:06:57 am »
I was coming home last night in a really bad storm with an ominous, eery looking sky when a tornado alert came on the radio. The rain had been pounding, intermixed with pea sized hail, when suddenly - everything went completely still. The storm sirens started wailing and the radio reported a funnel cloud had formed over Huntsville. At the time I was stuck in slow moving traffic trying to get over Chapman Mountain. I managed to get off the main road, out of traffic and onto a back road that went parallel to the Hwy when suddenly stuff started falling out of the sky! It looked like roofing material, paper, all kinds of crazy stuff. I was scanning the sky from my limited vantage point when a super gust of wind sheered down upon me and nearly lifted my truck on two wheels....  :shock: I'm not exaggerating! I looked out the window where the gust came from and there was stuff flying at me ... looked almost like streamers, and at the same time a transformer blew! Then my truck shook like a train was coming through. I was white knuckle scared and pulled off in a nearby neighborhood thinking about getting out and laying down in a ditch. Storm sirens were blaring. I stopped for a moment and that weird calmness came back again - so I decided, wisely or not, to head for home, ignoring speed limits completely.

My mom calls my cell phone and asks where I am ... I tell her I'm on 72 E. She's watching the TV weather alert and tells me there's a tornado heading right down 72 E. I'm not sure if the thing is behind me or in front of me! I get off 72 and start heading down Ryland Pike which pulls away from 72. My mom starts quoting places in the path of the funnel cloud ... 72 E, Maysville, RYLAND PIKE!!! Holy sh!t, that's is exactly where I am!

The sky was ominous black - I mean more black than you can imagine - except it was lit up by frequent strings of lighting in the clouds. I pass a Dollar General and that place is PACKED. People are getting out of their cars and running in for shelter. I figure, the tornado probably looks at a Dollar General like a condensed trailer park. That thing has a bull's eye painted on it for sure. I have no idea how I am going to die, but I am determined it will never happen in a Dollar General. There was only one car on the road, a Sheriff headed the other way! I wondered if that was a bad sign. Regardless, I didn't slow down and he wasn't about to turn around after me.

Anyway, I made it home without any further excitement and, while it was wet it didn't look like any wind damaged had hit my cove. No trees down. No abundance of branches down. Dogs were fine. Wife and kids managed to get home about a half hour later. All was safe.

I have to admit ... it was the most exciting drive home I have had in a long while.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/01/huntsville_tornado_photos_vide.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:20:17 am by majorvices »

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Tornado!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:09:45 am »
Keith,  I'm glad all are safe.  That's more excitement than I need. :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:14:55 am »
Wow, that's pretty wild.  Glad to hear you and the fam made it home ok!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:17:46 am »
wow! glad that you are safe.  how about you get your excitement at the occasional boilover or something? 

be well, keith. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:00:16 am »
see these folks?...

Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:20:49 am »
Once but it was during a bad acid trip.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:47:09 am »
Once but it was during a bad acid trip.

Holy cow, glad you're safe Keith!  Speaking of bad acid trips and tornados....

I grew up in IA, where tornados were common.  Seems like every year a small town would get wiped off the map.  One time in college, I went to a friends house for a visit and a tornado ended up heading right for the town.  We had both just taken some acid (disclaimer: this was 40 years ago....I don't do that stuff any more!).  His dad was a minister, so we headed for the church basement to ride it out.  Tripping our brains out, sitting in a church basement as a tornado roared over us was one of the strangest experiences I've ever had!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
I'm glad all are safe.  Tornados are scary.  I grew up in Northern AL and have seen my share.  If I have a bad dream/nightmare (which is rare) it usually involves a tornado or two.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:15 am »
I guess the only casualty was your drawers.
Just brew it...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:18:44 pm »
Thankfully I'm made of tougher grit than that.  ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:48 pm »
Wow...you are a lucky guy. Glad you're okay.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »
Glad you're safe, but dude, That is SWEET!! I love big storms. Been in some pretty hefty ones myself, and I'm positive two tornados, small ones at least. My dream is to go on a tornado chasing vacation.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:53 pm »
And which beer did you celebrate with?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:01:15 am by majorvices »
Brew on

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
 :o Holy crap that is freaky exciting! 
Great story, I almost never read that much script,
but the Dollar General made me spit and then howl with laughter  :D

I have to admit that those kinds of wicked thunderstorms fascinate me,
when it gets all black and foreboding, wind and lightening....wow that makes my blood roil!

Although I have never experienced the full-on destruction of a tornado,
and that might put a damper on the cool factor.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 08:08:16 pm »
I have no idea how I am going to die, but I am determined it will never happen in a Dollar General.

LOL!
I'm glad you made it home in one piece.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.