Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted some Coffee Today  (Read 24874 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Roasted some Coffee Today
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:27 am »
Can you "freshen up" already roasted coffee?  For example, I've got some light roast in the freezer.  Would a couple minutes in the popcorn popper make it better without changing it too much?  Sort of thinking along the lines of frying spices to bring out their flavour.  Could the same thing work for coffee? 

Disclaimer: I have never tried it, but have read about it in various articles & forums and it's about 50/50 yes/no. The "yes" folks say it's a totally different flavor than taking it to that roast level to begin with. I'd say try a small amount and let us know how it turns out. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 08:38:04 am »
Just have to say, this thread is great.  I've looked for years at the roasters at Williams Brewing and thought that it was just too much of an investment for something that I might not stick with.

But after reading this thread and the info at Sweet Maria's, I'm heading down to the Walgreen's at the corner to buy up a couple of their poppers (if they have them) and give this a go.

Lucky for me, I just piped an outlet on my back porch, so I've got an ideal spot to roast and let my neighbors deal with the smoke and chaff!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 09:03:32 am »
Just have to say, this thread is great.  I've looked for years at the roasters at Williams Brewing and thought that it was just too much of an investment for something that I might not stick with.

But after reading this thread and the info at Sweet Maria's, I'm heading down to the Walgreen's at the corner to buy up a couple of their poppers (if they have them) and give this a go.

Lucky for me, I just piped an outlet on my back porch, so I've got an ideal spot to roast and let my neighbors deal with the smoke and chaff!

Check your local Thrift Store (Goodwill) first. I wasn't so lucky but I know some have been. I picked up 2 of the poppers on eBay for ~$12 each, and be sure they are the kind where the air is circulated through the vents around the perimeter of the bottom. Those are the preferred ones. Plus 1200 watts minimum.  Cheers!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:46 am »
Can you "freshen up" already roasted coffee?  For example, I've got some light roast in the freezer.  Would a couple minutes in the popcorn popper make it better without changing it too much?  Sort of thinking along the lines of frying spices to bring out their flavour.  Could the same thing work for coffee? 

Disclaimer: I have never tried it, but have read about it in various articles & forums and it's about 50/50 yes/no. The "yes" folks say it's a totally different flavor than taking it to that roast level to begin with. I'd say try a small amount and let us know how it turns out. Cheers!!!

I have done this. Yes it does work. I've taken totally unusable store-bought beans and a little spin in the popper to darken them up made them into something much more acceptable.

Bear in mind you can do this in a skillet on the stove or on a baking sheet in a hot oven. Already roasted beans have lost their chaff and won't smoke nearly as much unless you really scorch them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:38 am »

I bought a third popper a few months ago trying to cut down on the time I spend roasting, but halfway through the first batch it quit and never came back on.  I think the 2 I use are Pop-Lite, I'll check at lunch.
I roast on my back porch.  My neighbor saw my 2 poppers one day and asked what I use them for in terms of homebrewing.  I made him a cup of coffee, nest thing I know he's on his back porch roasting coffee in a popcorn popper.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »
next thing I know he's on his back porch roasting coffee in a popcorn popper.
The quest for the perfect cup is contagious!!!  Just like the quest for the perfect beer and the quest for the perfect BBQ.

Cheers!!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »

Here's what I found at Target today.  This looks like it's the right design to me.  Unless I'm mistaken.

They didn't have any in stock, so I'd have to go back but it ain't far.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
That's on Sweet Maria's preferred list so it must work.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 09:52:49 am »
You guys are going to have me dissecting my air popper, aren't you?!?!  (That or digging the bread machine out of storage and making sure the heat gun doesn't smell like linoleum....)

For the later steps: what sort of grinder is preferred? I've got a cheapy burr grinder, but I think the granule size may be less consistent than I get with a whirly blade.  I also usually just brew drip, 'cause I'm lazy.  Is there any advantage to roasting one's own coffee if one isn't doing french press?
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 09:59:16 am »
You guys are going to have me dissecting my air popper, aren't you?!?!  (That or digging the bread machine out of storage and making sure the heat gun doesn't smell like linoleum....)

For the later steps: what sort of grinder is preferred? I've got a cheapy burr grinder, but I think the granule size may be less consistent than I get with a whirly blade.  I also usually just brew drip, 'cause I'm lazy.  Is there any advantage to roasting one's own coffee if one isn't doing french press?

I use a fairly inexpensive burr mill (Mr. Coffee) that I purchased from Target a while back. It seems to work okay for my needs. http://www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx?pid=8543

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:01:53 am by hamiltont »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 10:07:42 am »
I have this model grinder and love it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
You guys are going to have me dissecting my air popper, aren't you?!?!  (That or digging the bread machine out of storage and making sure the heat gun doesn't smell like linoleum....)

For the later steps: what sort of grinder is preferred? I've got a cheapy burr grinder, but I think the granule size may be less consistent than I get with a whirly blade.  I also usually just brew drip, 'cause I'm lazy.  Is there any advantage to roasting one's own coffee if one isn't doing french press?

I use a simple whirling blade grinder and run my coffee through a Mr. Coffee everyday.  It is very much still worth doing, to me at least, over just dumping in Folgers.  Like brewing equipment, it doesn't have to be fancy to be good.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
I have a starbuck burr grinder that was on ebay for $50. That's like a $100 off IIRC.

The MrCoffee can be adjusted to do a fine grind if you open it up and tinker with the gears.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:53 am »
Even a cheap burr grinder will be better than a whirling blade. A decent grinder is the best coffee-related investment you'll make.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »
Buy a good grain mill and repurpose your corona mill as a coffee grinder. That is what I did.