Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted some Coffee Today  (Read 24871 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Roasted some Coffee Today
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »
Using a hot air popcorn popper roasting 1/3 cup at a time ending up with 4 pints. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Roasted some Coffee Today
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:18:35 am »
How long did that take?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:21:48 am »
My hot air popper it too fast IMO. I'm probably 5 min or less when I use it. So his quantity would certainly be less than an hour.

I use a modified bread machine and a heat gun, my average roast seems to be about a half hour and I end up with about 1.5-2lb
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:44:36 am »
How long did that take?

I roasted these beans well into the 2nd crack (Vienna Roast). I didn't really time it but it was less than 5 minutes per 1/3 cup of beans. Keeping the cover on the popper and putting the popper in the bucket helps a lot. The cover deflects the heat to the bottom of the bucket so the popper is pulling in the heated air. The beans need to vent for a day or so before they can be sealed up in the jars. Our kitchen smelled soooo amazing this morning!  Here's a link where I got my start...  Cheers!!!  www.sweetmarias.com
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:41 am »
That's cool.  I don't really drink coffee though, it's just curiosity.  Although home-roasting coffee for a beer sounds like fun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:38 am »
How did the coffee taste after brewing? I've often considered trying to roast my own coffee but never tried as of yet.  It's the time factor at work.
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:30:18 am »
How did the coffee taste after brewing? I've often considered trying to roast my own coffee but never tried as of yet.  It's the time factor at work.
It needs to rest for a couple of days and vent gasses but it tastes really good after that. I like my coffee black & strong, but low acid, so I choose low acid beans and by roasting well into the 2nd crack I can eliminate some acid that way too. The hardest part is locating a hot air popcorn popper that will do the job. Cheers!!!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:59:03 am »
I've roasted coffee for years and have not purchased anything but green beans for well over 6 months. Tastes great! Decide what roast you like and then run with it. I experimented for years with varying roasts and finally determined we like Vienna best. I take it to 465F and then kill the heat and cool to at least 220F with spritzes of water. Then I let it cool the rest of the way, package in a bag which allows the gases to escape and then grind when I need more java.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
I took my $15 Poplite popper apart and modified it. The beans roast and stay in the roaster while the chaff flies away. Something to do outside for sure!

I'm a French roast man. I take it past 2nd crack and then dump into the colander to finish and cool. Let it degass for 12 hours. Home-roasted beans are far superior to what you can find for the most part out there.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »
I took my $15 Poplite popper apart and modified it. The beans roast and stay in the roaster while the chaff flies away. Something to do outside for sure!
I think I've seen your pics before. Did you mention that the 3rd can probably wasn't needed. I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Ya, definitely an outside sport. Roasting green coffee beans does NOT smell like what they smell like after they're roasted, plus the chaff makes a huge mess. Cheers!!!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
My setup looks like I am cooking meth or something. Just roasted a few minutes ago. Probably took 45 min start to finish because it is freakin cold outside...

The bread machine stirs the beans, the heat gun roasts them, the fan blows the chaff and smoke away.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »
I love it!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:39:48 pm »
Just yesterday on the NPR show Splendid Table they did an interview with Tom Owen of Sweet Maria's about home-roasting coffee.  'Made me want to look for the hot air popcorn popper that I haven't used in years to see if it is the cool kind.  
I'm very tempted to try this, as if I didn't have enough to do already.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »
Just yesterday on the NPR show Splendid Table they did an interview with Tom Owen of Sweet Maria's about home-roasting coffee.  'Made me want to look for the hot air popcorn popper that I haven't used in years to see if it is the cool kind.  
I'm very tempted to try this, as if I didn't have enough to do already.

If you do it I'd be willing to bet there's a 99% chance you won't/can't stop....  ;)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »
My setup looks like I am cooking meth or something. Just roasted a few minutes ago. Probably took 45 min start to finish because it is freakin cold outside...

The bread machine stirs the beans, the heat gun roasts them, the fan blows the chaff and smoke away.

GENIUS!!!