Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicken pot pies :O  (Read 7252 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Chicken pot pies :O
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:00 pm »
What you using for chicken? my favorite is old hen. She is most likely to be the best, not the fast grow big breasted monster. I like a old leghorn, she maybe 2 years old but plenty of flesh for pot pie or NOODLE (a nood to my wifes ex) soup. Can't find it grow you own and enjoy the eggs you get beforehand. I'll sell you real old hen chicken also.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:40 am »
I think the secret to a great chicken pot pie lies in the crust (no pun intended). A great pie crust is the secret ingredient IMO.  :)

Oh yeah.  Have you tried the Cream-cheese pie crust from Berenbaum's Pie and Pastry bible?

No I have not...I'll look into that and get back to you on it.
Ron Price

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:53:10 am »
Have you tried a roux?  It seems to work for me, and I haven't had any issues with freezing my pot-pies.
+1  I usually make roux thickened pot pies from what's left over from a rotisserie chicken from Costco and whatever veggies I have available.  I use the individual portion pie aluminum pans to make the pies and then freeze them for later. Basically take them out of the freezer and pop them in the oven to reheat. I think they last for a while before breaking down, but the pot pies usually don't last long enough to find out.  Mmmmm pot pies.

I also agree, the secret is in the crust, which is better when homemade, and for me I prefer the crust on the top and the bottom...although I have made the poor mans version with stretched out Pilsbury tube dough baked on top.  ;)
Mark

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:08 am »
I make mine with frozen phyllo dough.  Delicious. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »
Hand ground flour and using America's test kitchen recipe for pie crust is what we use.