Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer contamintaion  (Read 6228 times)

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
beer contamintaion
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:48 am »
Hello all!

I have a question about beer contaimintation:

How can you tell visually when your beer is contaminated. I'd like to know from primary, secondary, bottles, and kegs. If anyone has pictures of this, that would be a GREAT visual! Thx!

-Eldon
IPA makes my day!

Offline niquejim

• Cellarman
Re: beer contamintaion
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »

This one was done intentionally (see my mango beer recipe)
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
A big clue is that the beer is cloudy, but it's not chill haze or yeast.

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:59 pm »
The reason I am asking this is because I have NEVER had this happen to me yet.  Does mold look like mold (bread mold)? I just need some close ups pix or illustrations to give me an idea. I'd hate to work so hard at something and loose it all to contamination.

Thx

-Eldon
IPA makes my day!

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »
This is a good sign of an infection.  It was a stored yeast sample that accidentally got left out of the fridge.  The same thing hit my pear cider when, due to a set of unfortunate circumstances, I had to neglect for a month.  It is probably acetobacter from fruit flies.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:17:37 am »
That's what I'm talking about! Thx!

Eldon
IPA makes my day!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: beer contamination
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:54 am »
But, just because your beer may look ok, doesn't mean it isn't contaminated.
Brew on

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 06:31:31 am »
The reason I am asking this is because I have NEVER had this happen to me yet.  Does mold look like mold (bread mold)? I just need some close ups pix or illustrations to give me an idea. I'd hate to work so hard at something and loose it all to contamination.

Thx

-Eldon
You mention that you want to know how contamination might look so you wouldn't loose a batch to it (contamination.)  I would think that by the time you could see the problem it would too late to avoid it.  And as others have posted beer can be spoiled without visual evidence.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 06:32:05 am »

Thx

-Eldon
You mention that you want to know how contamination might look so you wouldn't loose a batch to it (contamination.)  I would think that by the time you could see the problem it would too late to avoid it.  And as others have posted beer can be spoiled without visual evidence.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 10:05:57 am »
The pellicle photo collection thread on HBT is full of pictures of how infected beer often appears.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pellicle-photo-collection.174033/

Granted, most of these are intentionally pitched with bactera and/or brett to make mixed fermentation beers; however, beers unintentionally infected with bacteria and wild yeast often create these same biofilms.

You may see cloudiness before, during, or instead of a biofilm. That's often a sign of infection, too. Wild yeast can do some weird things like make what looks like mushroom caps floating on the surface or spongy blobs that sort of look like flattened silly putty. If you see what looks like a disc or fried egg floating beneath the surface, that's either acetobacter or a combination of acetobacter and other contaminates forming a combined mass, similar to a scoby used to ferment kombucha.

Mold like you think is fairly uncommon in beer. You can get mold growth if you add fruit or other ingredients in secondary that float. If wort fails to start fermenting in a few days, you can also see mold growth. In these cases, it may be fuzzy, powdery, or furry growth like you see on bread. It may also be fairly smooth blobs of unusual colors like red, blue, yellow, or green. Mold will either float on the surface or grow along the edge of the surface and up the side of the vessel. If unexpected growth on the surface is white or tan, it's most likely yeast and/or bacteria. Any other color, likely mold.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 08:21:33 am »
Another HBT thread about infections (contaminations) - this one is mainly about accidental contaminations:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/post-your-infection.71400/

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 09:22:28 am »

Check out the Milk the Funk wiki for lots of images of various non-Saccharomyces bugs.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.