Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No good deed goes unpunished....  (Read 5675 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
No good deed goes unpunished....
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »
I was just looking at my BJCP record and saw that I have enough experience points to hit Master.  All I need to do is retake the tasting portion and score 2 more points on it!  Unfortunately, the only exam around here in the next year is one I'm administering, so I can't take it!   :'(
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Re: No good deed goes unpunished....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »
I was just looking at my BJCP record and saw that I have enough experience points to hit Master.  All I need to do is retake the tasting portion and score 2 more points on it!  Unfortunately, the only exam around here in the next year is one I'm administering, so I can't take it!   :'(

Having the "official" paper and designation is nice but I'm sure that many would agree you are already a master of the craft  :)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »
If you get ready to retake, drop me a note and I can offer some pointers on the taste portion to maximize the score.

I need a written retake for Master, but I ain't gotta take the taste again  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »
If you get ready to retake, drop me a note and I can offer some pointers on the taste portion to maximize the score.

I need a written retake for Master, but I ain't gotta take the taste again  ;)

I got 89 on written and 85 on taste, ended up with 88.  No friggin' way am I gonna retake the written!  I've gotta run the numbers to see what I'll need on the tasting to make it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:07:02 pm »
This seems like a good place to ask.
What does it get you? Is it personal; is there a career path; does it get you a lot of chicks?
Is it just cool in our geek world - like a 300 level Paladin in World of Warcraft?  ;)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »
For me and a lot of other BJCP judges I know, it's a sense of personal accomplishment.  I'm not really looking for anything but the enjoyment of learning about beer and being able to pass that knowledge along to others who are interested.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »
I was just looking at my BJCP record and saw that I have enough experience points to hit Master.  All I need to do is retake the tasting portion and score 2 more points on it!  Unfortunately, the only exam around here in the next year is one I'm administering!   :'(
Well you should do pretty well then!
Brew on

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »
This seems like a good place to ask.
What does it get you? Is it personal; is there a career path; does it get you a lot of chicks?
Is it just cool in our geek world - like a 300 level Paladin in World of Warcraft?  ;)
Well, you see, every time you level up it unlocks another BJCP subcategory. ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:52:01 pm »
I was just looking at my BJCP record and saw that I have enough experience points to hit Master.  All I need to do is retake the tasting portion and score 2 more points on it!  Unfortunately, the only exam around here in the next year is one I'm administering!   :'(
Well you should do pretty well then!

;D ;D ;D

www.dennybrew.com

boulderbrewer

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »
Quoting Denny here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"I was just looking at my BJCP record and saw that I have enough experience points to hit Master.  All I need to do is retake the tasting portion and score 2 more points on it!  Unfortunately, the only exam around here in the next year is one I'm administering, so I can't take it! 

I got 89 on written and 85 on taste, ended up with 88.  No friggin' way am I gonna retake the written!  I've gotta run the numbers to see what I'll need on the tasting to make it.

For me and a lot of other BJCP judges I know, it's a sense of personal accomplishment.  I'm not really looking for anything but the enjoyment of learning about beer and being able to pass that knowledge along to others who are interested."

Why would you not re-take the written, your statments seem to contradict what your beliefs are. Take the written, you have taken it before how hard can it be. You can pass on the knowledge better by taking it twice. Are you taking the easy way out? Just the tasting? Maybe you need a 91 on your written instead, that knowledge can be passed on. Tasting is personal.IMO

A disclaimer here I have never taken the BJCP test or have attempted it, so I my be talking out of you know where. I mean no disrespect to Denny. But Come On Man! (ESPN flavor)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:10:33 am »
Why would you not re-take the written, your statments seem to contradict what your beliefs are. Take the written, you have taken it before how hard can it be. You can pass on the knowledge better by taking it twice. Are you taking the easy way out? Just the tasting? Maybe you need a 91 on your written instead, that knowledge can be passed on. Tasting is personal.IMO

A disclaimer here I have never taken the BJCP test or have attempted it, so I my be talking out of you know where.

You ARE talking out of you know where. Why not retake the written? Cause it is friggin hard. There's nothing to be gained for Denny by retaking the written with the score he currently has. A taste retake makes more sense to move up plus it would only be 15 beans.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:56:55 am »
yeah, the written is no joke - a lot of essay questions with a lot of points to be made for full credit with very little time.

I want to retake mine, but we can't seem to get any local exams, and I'm not up for driving 4-6 hours each way, hotel room, and a blown weekend just to get a few more points - maybe when I get closer with experience points I'll get the itch.

Den - is there any other exams given in the area?  Portland, etc.?  Maybe you can just tag on to that, have the wife go with you and you could make a day trip of it?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:21 am »
I'm giving one on Sunday, Denny, fly on over and I'll save ya a seat.  8)

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:00 am »
So how does the tasting only test work?  I recently took the BJCP and ended up with a total score of 68.  I got 71 written and 60 on the tasting (I ended up having to rush through all of the tastings in order to finish on time).

I'd like to get to the "certified" level and I reckon I could do that with a better tasting score.

Any input on the tasting only test is appreciated!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:48 am »
Any input on the tasting only test is appreciated!

if its anything like my exam, unfortunately, the 'tasting only' part of the test spans the length of the exam. 

Ron Bach was our administrator (great guy if you ever met him - one of the only GM2s I think) - he gave us 1 tasting at set intervals throughout the exam to give us some separation in between the styles.

This is kinda good though as you get the entire time to write out your answers for the tasting and really analyze it, rather than being rushed.

That said, I would probably think about retaking both parts - you can probably increase your written score and can definitely increase the tasting - who knows, you may be able to hit National.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281