Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Espresso Machines  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Espresso Machines
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:00:53 am »
I dont post a lot here, but I do read a lot of them, and I know there's a bunch of people who love and know a lot about all things food.  Our faithful espresso machine crapped out after 7 years. It was nothing fancy, an older Krups Novo. It made some good espresso every day and multiple times a day on the weekend.  I'm using a stovetop one now, but I would like a new machine. Any suggestions for a midrange semiautomatic machine would be appreciated? 
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Espresso Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:15:05 pm »
Is mid-range $500-1000?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »
I used to use a machine but I found that the Billetti stove top is my favorite.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:06 pm »
Thanks euge, I didnt really specify $s. 500-1000 budget is what i would consider midrange for just the machine, no grinder. Our original was cheaper, but I would like a better one.
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »
I also use the stovetop model. Makes a nice 16oz mug of espresso. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
I also use the stovetop model. Makes a nice 16oz mug of espresso. :D

Ha! no kidding I usually make a double on the machine every morning before work. I like the stovetop too, but my wife's not so into it...our stovetop model makes 6.....its a shame to waste it....so I have to drink it.  :o
Mark

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
This is one of those weird questions that come to mind after reading the subject line "Espresso Machines" in a homebrewing forum....

What would happen (what would the result be) if you put hops (pellets would work best, I think) in your espresso machine and extracted tea at 9 bars pressure (is it 9?). Would it be a bittering tea, a flavor tea, or an aroma tea?

Follow up question: What would be an ideal use for this hop tea?  Throw in boil, throw in at end, throw in fermenter or secondary, or use as a randalizer type situation in serving vessel?

has anyone ever tried any of this?  Someone call Calagione.  :)
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »
Thanks euge, I didnt really specify $s. 500-1000 budget is what i would consider midrange for just the machine, no grinder. Our original was cheaper, but I would like a better one.

Automatic,  semi or manual?

This site has a lot of good info: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »
This is one of those weird questions that come to mind after reading the subject line "Espresso Machines" in a homebrewing forum....

What would happen (what would the result be) if you put hops (pellets would work best, I think) in your espresso machine and extracted tea at 9 bars pressure (is it 9?). Would it be a bittering tea, a flavor tea, or an aroma tea?

Follow up question: What would be an ideal use for this hop tea?  Throw in boil, throw in at end, throw in fermenter or secondary, or use as a randalizer type situation in serving vessel?

has anyone ever tried any of this?  Someone call Calagione.  :)
I have two espresso machines sitting in my garage.  They have been modified to pour cold beer through the portafilter.  We used them at the conferences in Oakland and San Diego, and will again at the conference in Seattle.

In one we pour a stout through coffee grounds and straight into the cup, but it gets pretty foamy because the pump is running (but the boiler is disconnected).

In the other we pour an IPA through hops and into the glass.  This one comes out much less foamy - it's a different machine that lets you push the beer through with just CO2 pressure.  We found that whole hops work much better than pellets, the pellets clog too easily.  There is a definite impact of pouring the beer through the hops, although it is fairly small which isn't that surprising considering the short contact time.

Not exactly what you are talking about, but still cool. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Yes, cool.  I just can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.

Would like to see it in Seattle, but DOH! Waiting List.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Sheer beer geekery.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:02 pm »

Automatic,  semi or manual?

This site has a lot of good info: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/

Thats a good site. Was just checking it out. Thanks for the info. Im looking for a semi automatic. Although I would love a manual one, that’s not just making an espresso, thats an art and far beyond me.

I have two espresso machines sitting in my garage.  They have been modified to pour cold beer through the portafilter.  We used them at the conferences in Oakland and San Diego, and will again at the conference in Seattle.

In one we pour a stout through coffee grounds and straight into the cup, but it gets pretty foamy because the pump is running (but the boiler is disconnected).

In the other we pour an IPA through hops and into the glass.  This one comes out much less foamy - it's a different machine that lets you push the beer through with just CO2 pressure.  We found that whole hops work much better than pellets, the pellets clog too easily.  There is a definite impact of pouring the beer through the hops, although it is fairly small which isn't that surprising considering the short contact time.

Now I know what I’ll be doing with our old machine. I’ll just put in on top of the Sanyo fridge that’s been waiting in my garage for over a year waiting for me to make a kegerator out of it….
Mark

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »
Now I know what I’ll be doing with our old machine. I’ll just put in on top of the Sanyo fridge that’s been waiting in my garage for over a year waiting for me to make a kegerator out of it….

;D

At some point it will float to the top of the priority list.  Or you'll throw it out. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:28:43 pm »

Follow up question: What would be an ideal use for this hop tea?  Throw in boil, throw in at end, throw in fermenter or secondary, or use as a randalizer type situation in serving vessel?

has anyone ever tried any of this?  Someone call Calagione.  :)
I have two espresso machines sitting in my garage.  They have been modified to pour cold beer through the portafilter.  We used them at the conferences in Oakland and San Diego, and will again at the conference in Seattle.

In the other we pour an IPA through hops and into the glass.  This one comes out much less foamy - it's a different machine that lets you push the beer through with just CO2 pressure.  We found that whole hops work much better than pellets, the pellets clog too easily.  There is a definite impact of pouring the beer through the hops, although it is fairly small which isn't that surprising considering the short contact time.

I had that coffee stout at club night 2010.  It was really good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »
I know that craigslist in my local area always has coffee shop equipment listed...you may be able to score a deal on something there.
Ron Price