Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What makes a recipe "yours"?  (Read 9557 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: What makes a recipe "yours"?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
That I am the one who has to clean all of my equipment to include stubborn, stuck on krausen out of my carboys. Until someone else wants to clean for me, then they are mine.

That and I am having fun making up my own for the time being. ;D
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 02:33:32 pm »
All the recipes I brew now are mine. aside from a handful of Charlie P. recipes I brewed years ago the only clones I have brewed in the last several years have been "the" dry stout recipe (the well known Guinness clone)  and a Pliny the elder kit I ordered from B3 around 7 years ago basically because it was easier and cheaper to get that quantity of hops. and I just wanted to try Pliny but couldn't get out to California.  ;)

If you sit down and have an idea of what beer you want to brew and you design the recipe - even if you look at several other recipes to see what other people are doing - then it is yours. You can certainly get ideas from other people, but if you brew Denny's BVIP and increase the munich malt or raise the bittering units slightly then it is still denny's recipe.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
I've made all my recipes from scratch since around 1998, so I consider them mine.  when I started creating recipes I might read 15 or more published recipes to get a feel for what others have done, but when it came time to actually write my recipe all books, magazines, websites, forums etc are closed and I come up with the recipe.  Then to make it even more mine I do an inventory or ingredients on hand and adapt my new recipe to what I actually have around, thus there is one more layer or separation between me and published recipes.
A few years ago a bunch of us over at realbeer.com came up with a recipe(actually one for AG and one for extract) and had Austin Homebrew put together kits with the ingredients for the ESB we all decided on.  Then everybody brewed it and we sent a couple of bottles of our beer to 3 other participants.  The differences were really outstanding so it was very obvious that recipe and even ingredients play a small part in brewing a beer.
This is a good club activity.  Our club has done this a few times.  Recipes are 10% of what makes a beer in the end, in my book.

Equipement and the procedures one uses with the equipement are much bigger parts of the equation.  Ingedients are also a big part.  How fresh are the ingredients?  If the recipe says Maris Otter, which malster selected will have a big influence on the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »
"the" dry stout recipe (the well known Guinness clone)
Where is that published?  I'd like to look at it.  Does it go by another name?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »

This is a good club activity.  Our club has done this a few times.  Recipes are 10% of what makes a beer in the end, in my book.

Equipement and the procedures one uses with the equipement are much bigger parts of the equation.  Ingedients are also a big part.  How fresh are the ingredients?  If the recipe says Maris Otter, which malster selected will have a big influence on the beer.

+1.  I think it was Denny that recently said he had judged a contest that had 3 different entries of one of his recipes and all three were different and not like his when he brews it. (sorry Denny if I am attributing this incorrectly to you)
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:24 pm »
By and large, most of the recipes I use are created by me. I usually have an idea or flavor profile that I'm targeting, and the recipe is born. It may or may not closely resemble some other recipe out there in the great wide world of beer recipes, but I call it mine. Recipes aren't copyrighted as far as I know so feel free to call it your own.  :)
Ron Price

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
"No offense, but who are you to decide?  There's nothing wrong with simple recipes, and there's nothing wrong with complicated recipes, as long as you have a reason for every ingredient being there in either type."

None taken. I decide when its my beer - or rather the beer that I am going to brew. That is what makes it "my recipe". I too have some recipes with complicated grain bills. However, my style of brewing is to lean to the simpler side, at least in recipe formulatoin.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:28:40 am by snowtiger87 »
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:35 am »
If you follow the recipe perfectly, then it's not yours, but if you change grain/hop proportions, mashing temps, yeast, etc. IMO it's yours.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
What makes a recipe "yours"?
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:09 am »

+1.  I think it was Denny that recently said he had judged a contest that had 3 different entries of one of his recipes and all three were different and not like his when he brews it. (sorry Denny if I am attributing this incorrectly to you)

You're darn close.  It was at NHC in Orlando.  I was presented with at least 6 versions of my Rye IPA recipe to taste.  None of them tasted like the other, and none of them tasted like mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:16 am »
i think if you brew the beer, it's yours, whether you copied a recipe or not.  i'm not sure it's possible to brew an exact clone of any given recipe given the factors of different water, malts from different makers, etc....

that said, i'd still call it a clone when asked, but knowing that it's not the same as the beer i was attempting to reproduce.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
I don't think I've ever made a recipe that was exactly what was written down.  I always change something if only hopping rates.  Things like the recipe calling for .5oz. of this hop at 5.4%  and I have that hop at 5.7% but I don't bother to adjust the amount.  The beer I made is mine. 

I regularly make recipes that still have the original name from the recipe I started with, but the original creator wouldn't recognize what I made as their beer.

If I make it, it's mine and one of a kind.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 03:40:29 pm »
I don't use a recipe as such; more of guide lines. I know what goes in a cream ale, stout, etc...but have never made the same twice. A little more or less of this or that, different hops and hop schedule. Usually FWH but the "15" may turn into "25" if I decide to boil down a little further. Toast my own specialty grains.

You get the idea. Everything I make is mine.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »
There's no doubt that if you make it, it's yours.  To me, that's not the same as whether the recipe is yours or not.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:37 am »
Possession is nine-tenths of the law.  ;D :-* ;)
Ron Price

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:04 am »
It's your recipe when you create it. Otherwise it's your version based on someone else's recipe. If you are unsure whether its yours or not, then it is not yours. The end product is always uniquely yours.(unless you did a group brew)