Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraAroma vs Aromatic?  (Read 21916 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
CaraAroma vs Aromatic?
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:06 am »
What's the difference (other than color) between Weyerman CaraAroma and Dingemans Aromatic?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: CaraAroma vs Aromatic?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:41:38 am »
Caraoma adds strong caramel flavor, red color, and malty aroma. Whereas, Aromatic malt is a kilned barley malt used to give beer a strong, aggressive malt aroma and rich color but not nearly as dark as cararoma.
Ron Price

Offline pikelakehomebrew

• Cellarman
  • brewing in the north metro
    • Pike Lake Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:19 am »
What's the difference (other than color) between Weyerman CaraAroma and Dingemans Aromatic?

Well, technically you can use the Dingemans up to 100%, albeit with relatively low diastatic power — and it probably has similar caramel notes to the CaraAroma.  But given the vast °L difference between the two, I think CaraAroma (IMO) has a richer, deeper caramel aroma contribution...but that's subjective and depends upon how much you're using I imagine.

I'd think that you'd want to use the CaraAroma for bigger, darker beers over the Dingemans, which you might use for less-darker beers but want that deep caramel aroma.  Just my two cents, and quite obviously subjective.
pikelakehomebrew.com
On tap: Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Peach Blonde Ale, Surly Furious clone

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
So CaraAroma would be perfect for a IIPA - something maybe as simple as 90% MO/10% CaraAroma?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
10% will be Arrogant Bastard like. I did my first one with around 9% and it was a tad too roasty for me. The last one I did 92.5/5.5/2 (pale/C-Aroma/Carafa Special) and I like it much better.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline tony perkins

• Cellarman
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:45:40 am »
I'm trying to identify the malt that would give my red ale the deep red color and rich, dark dried fruit / burnt sugar flavor that I see in Mad River Brewing's Jamaica Red Ale:

http://www.beerclubguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Jamaica-Red-Ale.jpg

I've tried 7% Crystal 120 and 3% Crystal 40, and that didn't get me there.  Do you think CaraAroma is the ticket?  If so, what percentage would you use?
Drinking:  Pale Sour, Maibock, APA
Primary:  Patersbier
Secondary:  Sour Brown
Conditioning:  Barleywine
Up Next:  BDSA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:52:56 am »
Try about 15-20% carared.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tony perkins

• Cellarman
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:38 pm »

Thanks again, Denny!  And would that be in place of, or in addition to, other Crystal malts?

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:51 am »
CaraAroma and Aromatic aren't really very similar grains.  The first is a crystal malt that gives Dark Munich Malt-like flavors, while the second is a toasted malt similar to an exaggerated Light Munich Malt.
I'm trying to identify the malt that would give my red ale the deep red color and rich, dark dried fruit / burnt sugar flavor that I see in Mad River Brewing's Jamaica Red Ale:

http://www.beerclubguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Jamaica-Red-Ale.jpg

I've tried 7% Crystal 120 and 3% Crystal 40, and that didn't get me there.  Do you think CaraAroma is the ticket?  If so, what percentage would you use?
That sounds like Special B, which gives a nice red, especially combined with a 120L crystal malt like CaraAroma.  Maybe about 1/2 pound each per 5 gallons, a'la Ken Lenard's Home Run Red.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:52:55 am »

Thanks again, Denny!  And would that be in place of, or in addition to, other Crystal malts?

I'd use it in place of an equal amount of base malt.  Carared doesn't seem to act like a crystal malt.  It's closer to a base malt in terms of fermentability.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tony perkins

• Cellarman
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:22 am »
That sounds like Special B, which gives a nice red, especially combined with a 120L crystal malt like CaraAroma.  Maybe about 1/2 pound each per 5 gallons, a'la Ken Lenard's Home Run Red.

I'd use it in place of an equal amount of base malt.  Carared doesn't seem to act like a crystal malt.  It's closer to a base malt in terms of fermentability.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just bottled a red last night, but the next couple of times I brew it I'll try these approaches.  I'll report back with results, even if that's a year from now.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:15 am »
I have tried the Carared with Denny's recommendation and it was OK, but I still prefer a mixture of darker crystal malts (60,80,120) for deeper red color. YMMV.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim