Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AIPA...Aroma...BJCP  (Read 6595 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: AIPA...Aroma...BJCP
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:22:21 pm »
I have read somewhere (and personal experience seems to support this) that dry hopped kegs seem to be great for the first 1-2 gallons or so, and then the hop aroma seems to fade.  I have also read that some homebrewers compensate for this by spliting the dry hop addition in half and pitching half initially and reserving the other half until one has gone through 2 or more gallons in the keg. 

Just an idea if you want consistency of hop aroma throughout the keg.

I have seen the same thing. Great for the first part of the keg, but not so much at the end. It's still worth the effort even if it is short lived.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Re: AIPA...Aroma...BJCP
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »
For the BJCP judges here, have you ever judged an AIPA that had too much, or too strong of a hop aroma?  Is it even possible for an AIPA to have too much hop aroma, as far as comps are concerned?

I could see an argument if the aroma didn't feature American hops or hops that can be considered/confused for American (like some New Zealand types)

Are you asking cause you were dinged for it, just curious?

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk

I asked the question initially after seeing the "Citrus Bomb IPA" recipe with 10-oz of aroma hops.  Granted, it is a 10-gal batch, but there doesn't seem to be much of a limit to aroma/dry hopping.

I am still trying to find an issue with "too much aroma hops"?  I don't think there is such a thing :P  Bittering,...yes.  Aroma...no.  Plus, the Citrus Bomb IPA recipe is the brain child of Nathan Smith.  The dude knows his hops, if he says 10 oz. of aroma hops then I say "Amen"

For what it is worth, I have brewed his Citrus Bomb IPA twice with some minor adjustments for my system and I don't think there is too much aroma.  It is very pleasant and smooth.  Too be honest, I am wanting more aroma, but that may be the way I brew and my system and process vs. what Nathan Smith dose. 

I have recently done an IIPA with over 1.5 lbs of hops in the last 20 minutes and have found the results to be phenomenol!!!!!  So, 10 oz. is nothing ;D

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »
At some point it stops tasting like a beer and starts tasting like a strong hop tea. If you mess the balance up enough that the malt is so weak then won't that effect your score?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »
I have read somewhere (and personal experience seems to support this) that dry hopped kegs seem to be great for the first 1-2 gallons or so, and then the hop aroma seems to fade.  I have also read that some homebrewers compensate for this by spliting the dry hop addition in half and pitching half initially and reserving the other half until one has gone through 2 or more gallons in the keg. 

Just an idea if you want consistency of hop aroma throughout the keg.

I can't recall ever noticing that in the kegs I've dry hopped.  That's probably close to 100.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Certainly not doubting your experience, Denny, but I can't ignore what seems to be mine either.
Perhaps one would not experience loss of hop aroma from a keg rapidly emptied within a short time frame (e.g., an evening, or even a few days), but, in my house, a keg could easily last several weeks or longer--so, yes, I think the hop aroma fades by the time we get to the end of the keg.  I use pellet hops in a mesh bag.  Perhaps my experience would be different if I used leaf hops?  Probably not.  My guess is that I'm blowing out the majority of the aroma in the first 1/2 of the keg because the hop oils have time to re-equilibrate between each dispense.  Perhaps it is nothing more than the effects of time on hop aroma within the keg.  I'm open to ideas.  At the end of the day, I just want my hop aroma to last!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
AIPA...Aroma...BJCP
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:39 pm »
And I absolutely don't doubt your experience, either, Richard.  I think it's a subjective matter of perception combined with the fact that different hop varieties produce different effects.  BTW, most of my kegs are on tape for a couple months.  I kicked a keg of Rye IPA yesterday that was on for 11 weeks and the dry hop aroma was still great.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »
  BTW, most of my kegs are on tape for a couple months. 

Obviously it's that hops tape that makes all the difference. Helps the hops aroma "stick" around longer.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
  BTW, most of my kegs are on tape for a couple months. 

Obviously it's that hops tape that makes all the difference. Helps the hops aroma "stick" around longer.

On the iPad, my typing is even worse than usual!  OTOH, hop tape....hmmmmmm...... ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell