Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill  (Read 7531 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Grain Mill
« on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:51 am »
I'm looking to add a grain mill to my set up so that I can start buying bags of grain.  I'm currently doing 3 gallon batches and will eventually start doing 5 gallon batches.  Any suggestions on what grain mill to get?  Thanks!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Grain Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
I have the JSP Maltmill that I've used for about 100 batches so far. It performs well and hasn't failed me yet (KOW). It comes highly recommended.
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Grain Mill
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:55:29 am »
Here's my disclaimer: Everyone who has a mill, likes their mill.

I have a Barley Crusher and have motorized it and I have been very satisfied with it.  I do around 16 batches a year and not had any problems with it (that I didn't cause).  I can run 13 lbs through in less than 5 minutes.  Very good mill for the cost in a low volume shop.

Monster mills get very good reviews and are beefier than the Barley Crusher if you need to do a lot of volume.  They are a good option if speed is a requirement.  I believe you have to build your own chute with some versions.

As I said though people generally like the mill they have.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:02:45 am »
I have a Barley Crusher that I use with a drill and it works great.  It fits perfectly on top of one of my old buckets.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:36 am »
I have the JSP Maltmill that I've used for about 100 batches so far. It performs well and hasn't failed me yet (KOW). It comes highly recommended.

I use one of those also...the adjustable version.  I've been using it for maybe 12 years, and the friend who co owns it and I have run well over 700 batches of grain through it.  Still works great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:29 am »
Slowbrew is right. Everyone seems to like the mill they have. I have a Barley Crusher and am very satisfied with its performance. The only thing I would recommend is if you get a Barley Crusher, go for the bigger hopper.
Mark Gres

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
I use a monster mill 2-roller. Every proper mill on the market is more than good enough for homebrewers.

I recommend an adjustable one. I like to run my malt through once at 1.5mm then again at 0.5mm. It's sort of like using a 3-roller this way. The first pass breaks the husk loose. I can get a really fine crush while leaving the husks mostly intact.

If you ever plan on milling wheat, you'll definitely need an adjustable mill.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:02 am »
I have an adjustable mill, but once I settled on a gap I haven't changed it in 10 years.  I just found a gap small enough to mill anything I put in the mill.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:15:53 am »
Thanks for the info everyone!  I actually just did a CL search and found a person that is getting rid of his entire brew system and he only lives 5 minutes from me.  With it is a mill that he's used for 10 years and he says it still works great.  Comes with a motor, belt, hopper, homemade stand, etc... and he agreed to sell it for $65.  It's adjustable and he said he hasn't adjusted it since he first set it up.  I'm heading over later today and take a look at it and he's going to demonstrate it for me.  If this doesn't work out, then I'll be looking into the JSP and Barley Crusher. 

Also, congrats to Ron and Denny on being elected to the governing committee. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone!  I actually just did a CL search and found a person that is getting rid of his entire brew system and he only lives 5 minutes from me.  With it is a mill that he's used for 10 years and he says it still works great.  Comes with a motor, belt, hopper, homemade stand, etc... and he agreed to sell it for $65.  It's adjustable and he said he hasn't adjusted it since he first set it up.  I'm heading over later today and take a look at it and he's going to demonstrate it for me.  If this doesn't work out, then I'll be looking into the JSP and Barley Crusher. 

Also, congrats to Ron and Denny on being elected to the governing committee.

That's a great find!  The motor alone would you that if were starting from scratch.  I love CraigsList.  I just (and I mean just, like 3 minutes ago) sold three shop lights via it.  Junk = cash on that site.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »
i use my vitamix 8)
Don AHA member

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Grain Mill
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
I'm looking to add a grain mill to my set up so that I can start buying bags of grain.  I'm currently doing 3 gallon batches and will eventually start doing 5 gallon batches.  Any suggestions on what grain mill to get?  Thanks!

Monster mill!

Having said that, I would spend your money on getting to full volume boils (presumably five gallons post boil is your goal).  Buy a ten gallon kettle and possibly a burner if you can't use your own range or don't want to.

Veldy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:01:15 pm by veldy »

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »

I use one of those also...the adjustable version.  I've been using it for maybe 12 years, and the friend who co owns it and I have run well over 700 batches of grain through it.  Still works great.

That is about a batch per week...that is a lot of brewing!

Veldy

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:58 pm »

Monster mill!

Having said that, I would spend your money on getting to full volume boils (presumably five gallons post boil is your goal).  Buy a ten gallon kettle and possibly a burner if you can't use your had range or don't want to.

Veldy

I'm enjoying doing 3 gallon batches.  It allows me to still brew in the kitchen and brew more often.  I do have everything I need to do 5 gallon batches minus the burner.  Once I'm ready for larger batches, I'll get the burner.  Oh, and the Craigslist mill didn't work out so I'm looking into the Barley Crusher, a JSP Mill, and a Monster Mill.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Jeremy Baker

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »
The Monster Mill is my preference, but with three gallon batches, I would get the cheapest mill of the three that you have listed.  I had a JSP for years and the only reason that I bought the Monster Mill (three roller) is because our cat knocked down my old mill and broke it.  The axle was slightly stripped from using a drill (this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Monster), so I decided that a replacement was in order instead of fixing the old mill.  They are all exceptional!

Veldy
P.S.  I still brew in the kitchen too.  I use two burners on the gas range and boil 7.5-8 gallons routinely.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:03:03 pm by veldy »