Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: curing meat  (Read 17438 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
curing meat
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »
I got this link for a home meat curing setup.  Looks pretty awesome and easy, I might do it soon.  I think I just need to buy the humidity controller, I should have everything else.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/meat-curing-at-home-the-setup/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: curing meat
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »
I don't think you can cure it tom. once it's meat, it's pretty much done for  ;D

**EDIT to add a terrible joke**

Unless, of course you are talking about that famous pig with a wooden leg.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:01:36 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:51 pm »
i have been wanting to mess with charcuterie for a while.  i didnt read the link, but i think lacto is used for some salami

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »
i have been wanting to mess with charcuterie for a while.  i didnt read the link, but i think lacto is used for some salami
Definitely some  lacto (especially for Genoa, Hungarian, and similar uncooked salamis), as well as a different, slower acting curing salt which is designed for dried salamis and the like.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:00:29 am »
I got this link for a home meat curing setup.  Looks pretty awesome and easy, I might do it soon.  I think I just need to buy the humidity controller, I should have everything else.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/meat-curing-at-home-the-setup/

I have the same idea just waiting to pull the trigger to get it all together. I don;t want any of this near my brewing.

And one for cheese!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:45:31 pm »
I don't think you can cure it tom. once it's meat, it's pretty much done for  ;D

**EDIT to add a terrible joke**

Unless, of course you are talking about that famous pig with a wooden leg.

Beat me to it! 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:53 pm »
My bible:

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, And Curing by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn

I just cut into a salt-cured prosciutto I've had curing for the last 3 months. Pretty amazing! Now I need to make friends with someone who has a meat slicer...
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »
My bible:

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, And Curing by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn

I just cut into a salt-cured prosciutto I've had curing for the last 3 months. Pretty amazing! Now I need to make friends with someone who has a meat slicer...

I got it (the book) for my birthday. Made the 5# master sausage recipe tonight after a three hour rest. Wow. How amazingly the red wine affects the finished product. Delicious!. I have a grinder with sausage attachment, but making the links was easy despite the slooooow work. ???

Get a stuffer. I'll have one by weeks end. Let the grinder do it's job. Leave the stuffing to the specialized equipment.

As soon as I get some instacure I'm doing some pancetta. Or maybe some speck.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:49 am »
My bible:

Polcyn has one of his places where I live. He knows his sausage, and teaches sausage making at Schoolcraft College, which is one of the top cooking schools around. He has been friend with Ruhlman since Ruhlman wrote "The Soul of a Chef".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
First time homecured bacon. Awesome! Pastrami from a cheap cut of brisket and smoked guanciale (pork cheek) also incredibly unctuous and awesome! All for less than $10.

Will never buy bacon again. Or pastrami.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:51 am »
My bible:

Polcyn has one of his places where I live. He knows his sausage, and teaches sausage making at Schoolcraft College, which is one of the top cooking schools around. He has been friend with Ruhlman since Ruhlman wrote "The Soul of a Chef".

Have you been to his restaurant? The Forest Grill? I want to go but haven't talked with anyone who has. He was on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain once, good episode. They pulled the skin off of a deer with a four wheeler, pretty cool  8)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:30 am »
Ah thanks for reminding me...

Two pounds pork belly- pancetta stresa started 6/29/12. Can't wait to cut into this one. I could do it now but will wait another week. Used the recipe from Charcuterie. I just couldn't bring myself to hang it at ambient temp though. Co-opted the kegerator for the drying!

Cost me about $5. Try buying it for that price at the store.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:50:21 am by euge »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »
Looks awesome euge.  I just made a brine to cure some more pork loin and make bacon.  IT should be ready for smoking on Friday, recipe is from Charcuterie too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:33 am »
Did you see Ruhlman is coming out with another charcuterie book?  Salumi, I think it's called. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:24:15 am »
Did you see Ruhlman is coming out with another charcuterie book?  Salumi, I think it's called. 

Ooooh?! (rubs hands together)