Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newest BJCP Provisional Judge with all time lowest score!  (Read 11036 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Newest BJCP Provisional Judge with all time lowest score!
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:32 am »
This morning I recieved this e-mail:

Congratulations on passing the BJCP Entrance Exam; you are now a BJCP Provisional Judge!  You will be emailed a passing certificate that you will need to show to the administrator of the BJCP Beer Judging Exam.  You must take the Beer Judging Exam within one year of passing the Entrance Exam or start over.  Good luck!

Which is strange because I took the exam in early April (on a whim) during my lunch hour, without studying or without reference materials....it was hard and as I expected, I failed (what I thought was miserably).

Then I got this explanation:

Hello, You should have received an email informing you that you passed the BJCP Entrance Exam.  This may come as a surprise, so let me explain.  We did some detailed statistical analysis that led us to make a final tweak of the passing threshold, and all exams were rescored against this target.  You were just below passing when you took the exam, but that score now passes.  Congratulations!

So, it is official.  I am a Provisional Judge (now looking for a tasting exam seat in Denver area) with the distinction of passing with one of the lowest scores ever!  I am the opposite of Gordon Strong!

Thanks BJCP for lowering your standards just enough to let me slide by to continue my unbroken streak of mediocracy!

Sincerely,
Mr. C-
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Newest BJCP Provisional Judge with all time lowest score!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
Grading on a scale...gotta love it.   I got a 17 on a Physics exam in college and that was a passing grade.  One kid got a 100%...bastard.  If it wasn't for him, my 17 probably would have been an A.  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:39 am »
 :) That's funny. Congratulations!
Hey man, you gotta start somewhere.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:14 am »
Don't get me wrong, I am very, very pleased that I (probably) don't have to take that monster exam again.  I felt like the whole exam was filled with trick questions with the changing of one word of a question having an impact on the answer.  The exam was designed to make you think about each question....there were very few low hanging fruits where you just absolutely KNEW the answer.  Kind of like Monty Python's Holy Grail at the Bridge of Death....

What is your name?: Gary
What is your quest?: To become a Certified Beer Judge.
What is time temperature curve for optimal performance of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis and how is this effectively manipulated by the Trappists in the lower regions of Belgium?: Ummmm Blue? No Yel.....arrruuuuuggghhhhh!

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:48:03 am »
Correct Answer: There are no higher regions of Belgium!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:06 am »
The word is mediocrity.  But somehow that seems to fit.

Congrats!  And good luck on the tasting exam.  If you haven't done it before, volunteer to be a judge or steward at a brew contest.  Thats the best practice for the exam.  That and try at least one of the listed commercial examples of each style just to give yourself an idea of what everything tastes like.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:34 am »
Congrats!  It's all up from here! ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:51 am »

Yeah, I am an idiot!  :)

Have been a steward for a couple of NHC 1st rounds.  It has been my only chance to taste some flaws that I haven't (yet and hopefully never) experienced in my beers.  I was proud of myself for being able to identify some of the things the experienced judges were picking up.

Judging in competition is difficult, but yet, the judges usually come to the same conclusions and close scores with a surprisingly high occurence.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:52 am »

Mediocracy is a situation which can occur in a democracy in which mediocre people prevail. The society is then subordinated to a quasi-egalitarian ideology in which words and ideas are redefined by mediocre people, to be convenient for mediocre people. ;D oh, and those that cut and paste from Wikipedia ::)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:04:53 am by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:37 am »
So, it is official.  I am a Provisional Judge (now looking for a tasting exam seat in Denver area) with the distinction of passing with one of the lowest scores ever!  I am the opposite of Gordon Strong!

Had a buddy in college that didn't know, until he walked onto the stage, whether he was graduating or not.  2.0 average required and he ended up with a 2.0016.  Thirty years later he's still doing just fine.
Joe

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »
(now looking for a tasting exam seat in Denver area) Mr. C-
I think there is one in Ft. Collins this month.
Brew on

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

Have been a steward for a couple of NHC 1st rounds.  It has been my only chance to taste some flaws that I haven't (yet and hopefully never) experienced in my beers.  I was proud of myself for being able to identify some of the things the experienced judges were picking up.

Judging in competition is difficult, but yet, the judges usually come to the same conclusions and close scores with a surprisingly high occurence.
Sounds like you have enough experience then, now start looking up adjectives and do that commercial beer homework.  Its tough but its for a good cause.

And to make you feel better I got a 60 on the tasting portion of my first exam.  I didn't take my own advice obviously.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »

Had a buddy in college that didn't know, until he walked onto the stage, whether he was graduating or not.  2.0 average required and he ended up with a 2.0016.  Thirty years later he's still doing just fine.

2.0 and go!!!. incidentally, the movie mediocrity is quite funny if you ever get a chance to watch it.
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »
When I was in college I was bummed when I got my first B (Calc 3).  I had an 89% average in the class.  90% was needed for an A.  The professor would not budge.  Up to that point I had a 4.0 average.

A mentor and good friend told me not to be bummed.  He said it was the degree not the GPA that mattered.  He said, "Eventually you will come to realize that 'D' means 'Done!'  Even if you get a D you pass and you're done with that class."

Sage words.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't enter my beers in competition any more!   ;)

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:36 am »
Correct Answer: There are no higher regions of Belgium!

First of all, congrats! Second, I disagree with that answer. There ARE higher regions in Belgium. But, the only Trappist brewer to utilize brett is Orval, and they would certainly not be considered to be in the lower regions. So, one possible correct answer is that none of the Trappist breweries in the lower regions use any form of Brett. Another possibility, and one that I don't know for sure, is that the variety of Brett used by Orval is not Bruxellensis.

As for the temperature curve, I have no idea.