Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Rose By Any Other Name  (Read 13820 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A Rose By Any Other Name
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »
Someone mentioned the random beer name generator:

Here are just a few of the "questionable" names that came from there:

Achin' Black Hole Bock
Bald Madonna Wit
Retarded Dragon Maerzen
Where's my Beaver? Pale Ale

Those are offensive to so many groups.

narvin

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »
I suppose names and labels like these should be omitted as well:

I would omit gimmicky labels like that, but because it almost guarantees the beer is going to suck.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »
I named my home brewery "Inappropriate BrüHaus" and definitely lean heavy on the innuendo when naming my beers. I think of naming beer as an extension of the creative part of brewing that I like so much. The risque names are my style as anyone who knows me (and therefore anyone who would typically be drinking my beers) would know. I don't think it is anything that alienates women in general, as many of my female friends appreciate dirty humor as much as I do.

The way I think of it, you may consider me crass but then I would probably consider you a prude. If you're not in my face about it, I won't be in yours. And I agree that you should at least be creative about it. "Dick Joke Dubbel" is rather unimaginative and so is anything named "Pantydropper" anything.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »
I'm with Denny, mine now all have numbers. The CAP I'm holding goes by the ubiquitous title of #129 CAP. Boring, but it sure makes inventory and labels easy.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
Agreed, I like bawdy humor.. I'm going to the RenFaire this week for f'sake, but I've just seen a number of crude names that aren't funny and aren't imaginative. And those just annoy me.. if you can make it funny and risque.. go fer it, but then again it seems by the field of names I've seen things like "Three Fingers Deep Tripel" or "Shocker Stout" are names some people like that just make me roll my eyes. (and those are the polite ones)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:14 pm »
I named my home brewery "Inappropriate BrüHaus" and definitely lean heavy on the innuendo when naming my beers. I think of naming beer as an extension of the creative part of brewing that I like so much. The risque names are my style as anyone who knows me (and therefore anyone who would typically be drinking my beers) would know. I don't think it is anything that alienates women in general, as many of my female friends appreciate dirty humor as much as I do.

The way I think of it, you may consider me crass but then I would probably consider you a prude. If you're not in my face about it, I won't be in yours. And I agree that you should at least be creative about it. "Dick Joke Dubbel" is rather unimaginative and so is anything named "Pantydropper" anything.

You know your crowd, so name as you see fit. I really don't think most women would be offend by the names thrown about in this thread. It's like anything else, if you don't like it look elsewhere.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »
This may be the dumbest thread ever outside the "Pub" section.  ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »
You just made me chuckle.

Where can we vote on that?

By the way, if someone told me they were "three fingers deep" I'd assume they had a good start on a fifth.  But maybe I'm clueless.

Also, I just read some tasting notes for The Ball Buster shiraz, which is actually supposed to be quite good, so these sorts of naming gimmics are not the sole province of beer.

And, I kind of like the sound of "Yes Dear APA."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:26:44 pm by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 07:38:13 pm »
Agreed, I like bawdy humor.. I'm going to the RenFaire this week for f'sake, but I've just seen a number of crude names that aren't funny and aren't imaginative. And those just annoy me.. if you can make it funny and risque.. go fer it, but then again it seems by the field of names I've seen things like "Three Fingers Deep Tripel" or "Shocker Stout" are names some people like that just make me roll my eyes. (and those are the polite ones)

hey, some of us went to Wichita State!   8)
Shocker names and shocker humor are unavoidable here.  It's perhaps even more popular than "Shocker Football - Undefeated since 1986!" t-shirts.
just sayin...

cheers--
--Michael

narvin

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »
Come on, it's not like any of those random names were "Retarded Madonna's pale bald beaver dishwasher Buddha's brown belly wee heavy sausage IPA".  Now THAT would be ribald.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:48:23 pm by narvin »

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »
So there is small brewery in Loveland, CO called Big Beaver Brewery. all there brews play on some "potty humor" they are very clever. I like their names and more importantly the beers are very good.
some examples are: Shaved tale ale, But-a-nut brown ale, black curly's Ipa, and big woddy ipa 2.0
here is link to their site http://bigbeaverbrew.com/brews/
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
So there is small brewery in Loveland, CO called Big Beaver Brewery. all there brews play on some "potty humor" they are very clever. I like their names and more importantly the beers are very good.
some examples are: Shaved tale ale, But-a-nut brown ale, black curly's Ipa, and big woddy ipa 2.0
here is link to their site http://bigbeaverbrew.com/brews/

Love the name "Breezy Bean Bag Scotch Ale" :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 05:06:41 am »
A local brewery here who are frenemies of mine made a secondeunning beer and called it "sloppy seconds" and I refused to drink it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:46 am »
The problem I have with a lot of those names is that the people who come up with them think they're a lot more clever than they actually are.  To me, most risque beer names come across as juvenile and dumb.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »
I like "Old Leghumper"  robust porter

So many legs... so little time.