Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: adding sugar...  (Read 5297 times)

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
adding sugar...
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:58:48 am »
What's the best practice for adding sugar to the boil? How long before flame out? Any tricks or precautions?

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: adding sugar...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:02:24 am »
I usually add it in the last 30 minutes. I measure it out in a bowl and then dissolve it in some of the boiling wort in the reserved bowl, then add it back into the main wort. That keeps it from clumping on the bottom and burning.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:34:40 am »
I put it in at the start of the boil so I don't forget!  Also, it has an impact on hop utilization, and I figure my hopping based on the wort gravity with the sugar in there.  I guess I just haven't found a good reason not to add it at the beginning of the boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:43 am »
I wait until after the break since the boil seems to increase in violence a bit with an addition.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:04:11 am »
I wait until after the break since the boil seems to increase in violence a bit with an addition.

Yeah, me too.  I do all additions of anything after the break.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Thanks fellas!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:14:50 am »
I put it in at the start of the boil so I don't forget!  Also, it has an impact on hop utilization, and I figure my hopping based on the wort gravity with the sugar in there.  I guess I just haven't found a good reason not to add it at the beginning of the boil.

I've found that if I don't do as Denny suggests the sugar ends up being left out 95% of the time. And I like to keep my utilization straight.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »

+1  Since I figure hop utilization from the beggining of the boil, I figure it's best to add the sugar at the beginning.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »
I did what The Major suggested.  It worked nicely!  Now just need to see how low the gravity goes, since it was for a Saison.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:37:01 am »
I will set my additions out on a table with my timer and brew utensils.
Bittering hops in a bowl
Aroma hops in a Different bowl
Sugars one more bowl
Belgian spices if brewing that style...in another bowl...
final additions like whirlfloc and nutrients in another little shotglass
Then I just go down the line up and usually don't forget anything
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:10:46 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:06 am »
What's the best practice for adding sugar to the boil? How long before flame out? Any tricks or precautions?

I also like to add after the break and another usedful trick was to put the sugar in a hop /fine mesh bag -the boil will dissolve it quickly with no lumps or worry about it sitting on the bottom-worked well with honey too on Saturday.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:52 am »
I will set my additions out on a table with my timer and brew utensils.
Bittering hops in a bowl
Aroma hops in a Different bowl
Sugars
final additions like whirlfloc and nutrients in another little shotglass
Then I just go down the line up and usually don't forget anything

I do something similar, but I use zip lock bags with the time of the addition written on them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:20 am »
The ziploc bag idea looks doable. I like to weigh the hops out in tupperware and line them up. I lay some whirfloc tabs on top of the 15-20 minute addition so they don't get overlooked. You'd think sugar treated like this wouldn't be forgotten. Somehow still happens. Look over after chilling wort- sugar still there. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:22 am »
Also, it has an impact on hop utilization, and I figure my hopping based on the wort gravity with the sugar in there.  

I tend to do the opposite here Denny and try to get more hop components into the unladen wert
before I laden the wert with additional sugar...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:44:51 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 11:53:39 am »
The ziploc bag idea looks doable. I like to weigh the hops out in tupperware and line them up. I lay some whirfloc tabs on top of the 15-20 minute addition so they don't get overlooked. You'd think sugar treated like this wouldn't be forgotten. Somehow still happens. Look over after chilling wort- sugar still there. :-\

Well, it's not like I've never finished chilling a batch, then looked over to my desk to see the finishing hops sitting there....;)

www.dennybrew.com