Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe  (Read 27204 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:38 am »
I plan to brew an Imperial IPA tomorrow. Here's a link to the recipe.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/11363/imperial-ipa

I want to use Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe in the brew. However, I've never used Citra or Simcoe, so I don't know how much or when to add them. I just took a guess when I created my recipe. Does anyone think I need to change my hops schedule? I could substitute with Cascade, if you think that would work better. The last thing I want is a beer that tastes like cat piss! LOL!

Also, what should I dry hop with?

Your opinions will be appreciated!   :)
Scott B

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:31:38 am »
I've used Simcoe a few times and haven't gotten any cat piss taste.  Maybe I just don't pick it up.  I have never added it before 15 min though.  If you are worried drop the 40 min addition and increase the bittering addition.

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:24 am »
I have had really good results dry hopping with Citra. That and Amarillo are good dry hoppers in my opinion.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:04:18 am »
You're doing it wrong. All Nelson, all the time.  ;)
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:19 am »
I plan to brew an Imperial IPA tomorrow. Here's a link to the recipe.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/11363/imperial-ipa

I want to use Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe in the brew. However, I've never used Citra or Simcoe, so I don't know how much or when to add them. I just took a guess when I created my recipe. Does anyone think I need to change my hops schedule? I could substitute with Cascade, if you think that would work better. The last thing I want is a beer that tastes like cat piss! LOL!

Also, what should I dry hop with?

Your opinions will be appreciated!   :)

I'm making an 'express IPA' Sunday with the same combination. I haven't finalized the hop bill yet but I'm leaning towards bittering primarily with the Simcoe, late additions of Amarillo and Cirtra and dry hopping with equal amounts of each.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:52:33 am »
I started using Simcoe as my bitter hop in my APA w/ Cascade at the beginning of the year.  It's a great beer that everyone really enjoys.  No cat piss taste w/ Simcoe at 60 min.  I've never brewed w/ amarillo or citra, so no first hand knowledge of those two.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:37 am »
You may want to add 2-5% of dextrose, i.e. corn sugar just to help dry it out a little?  You have a strong malt bill and no crystal malt, which I like.  What is your mash temp?  I would shoot for somewhere between 147-149*F.

I like your hop choices.  I would use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior for your main bittering charge.  Amarillo, citra, and simcoe are to valuable to waste as a bittering charge.  I would bump up amount of your late hops a bit and move them to a little later in the boil (less than 20 minutes).  If it is an IIPA, it has to be dry hopped, IMHO.  I would use at least 1oz. each of citra, amarillo, and simcoe.  I like to build my dryhop based on my boil hop schedule.  I recently dry hopped with 1oz. of citra, amarillo, and simcoe in a pale ale and the beer at the moment is fantastic!  Even my wife loves it (which is saying a lot).  It took a while for the flavors to mesh and come together, but now they are very floral and tropical fruit.  Very smooth, no cat piss ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:13:40 pm by hoser »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:13:52 am »
I'm really enjoying an IPA I just brewed using these three hops in combination for flavor/aroma. I used 1/2 oz of Chinook at 60 minutes for my bittering charge, then I used 1/2 oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra at 15, 10, 5, and flameout. I did a 30-minute hot steep/whirlpool. Then I dry-hopped with 3/4 oz of each. The main notes are the tropical fruit from the Citra highlighted by some floral notes from the Amarillo. The Simcoe gives a nice resiny bite and adds some real nice complexity.

My recommendation is to get rid of your 30 and 40 minute additions (and maybe even the 20-minute one). Add those at flameout and do a long whirlpool before chilling. At 30 and 40 minutes you aren't getting much flavor or aroma contribution from those hops, since most of the hop oils will boil off. You really want to add them as late as possible. I'd also dry hop with at least an ounce of each of the hops.

The more hoppy beers I brew, the more simple I keep my hop schedule. For my next hop bomb, my hop schedule is probably going to be something like this:

60 min - 0.5 oz of Columbus or Chinook
10 min - massive addition of a blend of all my flavor/aroma hops
Flameout - another massive addition of the hop blend
Dry hop - split the remaining hops in 3 batches and add them each 3 days apart. Bottle 3 days after the last addition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
It took a while for the flavors to mesh and come together, but now they are very floral and tropical fruit.  Very smooth, no cat piss ;D

I get the same exact thing here. I'm loving the Amarillo and Citra combo in the dry hops. Next time I think I'm going to swap out the Simcoe for some NZ aroma hops like Nelson, Motueka and/or Rakau and really push the tropical fruit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:29 am »
I think I must be one of the few homebrewers who doesn't really care for Citra.  Just too weirdly fruity for my tastes.  I know of least a couple commercial brewers who fell the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:12 am »
I like your hop choices.  I would use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior for your main bittering charge.  Amarillo, citra, and simcoe are to valuable to waste as a bittering charge. 
I was kind of thinking along those same lines. I want to use hops I have on hand and was considering Summit for the bittering hop.  I haven't used Summit so was kind of waffling back towards Simcoe.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:47 am »
You're doing it wrong. All Nelson, all the time.  ;)
So many hops...so little time!  ;)
Scott B

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 11:40:03 am »

I like your hop choices.  I would use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior for your main bittering charge.  Amarillo, citra, and simcoe are to valuable to waste as a bittering charge.

Simcoe too valuable to waste as bittering?  Could you explain this for me, I've only been brewing since Oct. 2011, so I was wondering what your opinion on this is.  I've used magnum in the same APA recipe @ 60min, but when I switched Simcoe for Magnum the beer came out better, and my wife liked it much better (which also is saying a lot).  I thought it had more of a "tropical" taste than w/ magnum, but maybe that's just in my head.  Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:28 am »

Simcoe too valuable to waste as bittering?  Could you explain this for me, I've only been brewing since Oct. 2011, so I was wondering what your opinion on this is.  I've used magnum in the same APA recipe @ 60min, but when I switched Simcoe for Magnum the beer came out better, and my wife liked it much better (which also is saying a lot).  I thought it had more of a "tropical" taste than w/ magnum, but maybe that's just in my head.  Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
After reading everyone's input, I've decided to use the Simcoe as the only bittering hop.  I will use a combination of the 3 toward the end of the boil and for dry hopping.  I also picked up some specialty grains for increasing the color.   Thanks for the help!
Scott B

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:51:56 am »

Hops like Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra are in high demand and hard to find not only on the homebrew scale, but professional as well.  And "when" you do find some, it comes at a premium cost.  It seems like a waste to me to use a hop know for it's wonderful flavor and aromatic properties as a bittering addition when those volitile hop oils will be boiled off when using it as a 60 or 90 minute addition.  IIPA are all about massive flavors and aromas from late and dry hops.  Using a good low co-hulomone high AA% hop as a bittering source adds a smoother bitterness, but will have little if any flavor impact on the final beer.