Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Westvleteren 12 and other belgian beers  (Read 9771 times)

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Westvleteren 12 and other belgian beers
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:57:41 am »
hop fields on the way to the abbey

The blonde and the 12, both were excellent

12's with the hop tart

Poperinge bar

Poperinge bar

Poperinge bar

Brugge bar

Ghent bar

We had a lot of fun. Going to the abbey to get the Westvleteren 12 was probably the highlight of our 10 day trip. The weather was perfect in august, 60-70f. We woke up early in the morning and walked to a bicycle rental shop in Poperinge. It is a nice 15-20 minute bike ride through the Belgian countryside. There is nothing but farms and hop fields on the way to the abbey and you can pull over on the side of the road and get walk up and smell the hops growing on the vines. We had about 7 or 8 rounds and left there feeling really good. It was awesome.

I would recommend this trip to any beer lover. I was worried my wife would not enjoy herself because she wanted to see museums and churches and other artsy stuff and she is not a big drinker. The town near the abbey, Poperinge, is very small and only has a few "tourist" type attractions. She kept asking me, "Are we really staying there for two days!". She liked it so much that she suggested we do a "proper" trappist tour and visit all 7! That part of our trip was very relaxing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:13:28 pm by glitterbug »
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Westvleteren 12 and other belgian beers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:41:37 am »
I love Pope. Where were the bar shots taken? The Palace or Paix?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:47:59 am »
Looking at all of those great Belgian beers just made me really thirsty. I would love to go there some day.
Ron Price

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:45:38 pm »
I love Pope. Where were the bar shots taken? The Palace or Paix?

The first one is at Palace and the other two were at Belfort

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 12:52:33 pm »
Looking at all of those great Belgian beers just made me really thirsty. I would love to go there some day.

We talked about an overseas vacation for YEARS but always found an excuse. We finally just booked some tickets. It really motivated us to start saving and take the time off work :)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:07:14 pm »

Ahh, don't think I've ever gone to Belfort. I stayed at the Palace and love that place.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 01:12:26 pm »

Ahh, don't think I've ever gone to Belfort. I stayed at the Palace and love that place.

We stayed at http://users.telenet.be/Galant-Hus/engels/home.html a b&b. The owner was really nice and the free breakfast was good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:12:24 am »
I'm so jealous I think I'm gonna cry!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brookspn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:24:15 pm »
I've been thinking heavily on taking this trip.  What was the overall costs with lodging and everything.  Also, what language was spoken at most of the places.  I want to learn the necessary conversational Dutch or French before I go so I can get around and have a good time.

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
Very cool man. I'll be there in March and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. ;D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 05:40:11 am »
We're going to Amsterdam in april for a party ( Trance Energy ) before heading  down to Belgium.

My buddy is flying this week to Amsterdam after getting a $1 airline ticket deal.... :o 
( MartinAir nonstop Orlando to Schiphol )

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:07 pm »
I've been thinking heavily on taking this trip.  What was the overall costs with lodging and everything.  Also, what language was spoken at most of the places.  I want to learn the necessary conversational Dutch or French before I go so I can get around and have a good time.

Cost: Just imagine what it would cost to vacation in America and you will probably be pretty close. You need food, lodging, beer money, etc. Prices are little higher in Europe because of the horrible exchange rate (1 euro = 1.5 usd). You should also go in the "shoulder season", less crowded, cheaper flights and hotels. We used venere.com to book most of our hotels.

Language: We never really had a problem. I guess we looked like tourists because most people addressed us in English  ;D We learned a few basic words but it was only for fun. Nothing really usable in a real conversation.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:03:42 pm »
We're going to Amsterdam in april for a party ( Trance Energy ) before heading  down to Belgium.

My buddy is flying this week to Amsterdam after getting a $1 airline ticket deal.... :o 
( MartinAir nonstop Orlando to Schiphol )

$1 ticket is insane  :o

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 05:33:26 pm »

I have lived in France and been to Belgium and the Netherlands several times. In my experience, every Belgian and Dutch person I have ever met who was born after 1950 has been fluent or near-fluent in English. There is no reason to learn even one Dutch word. French is somewhat necessary in France, but I still say if you aren't damn good at French, you're better off not speaking any, except the phrase, "I cannot speak French, can you speak English?" For some reason, French people can't understand French when people speak it with foreign accents. I even remember translating a Swiss-German guy's French for some French people. His French knowledge and grammar was MUCH better than mine, but his accent was thick, so they couldn't understand a single word he said.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:36 pm »
Spent 3 hours calling St. Sixtus last night... didn't get through. I'll try again on the 13th (14th in belgium)... but this means I will not be able to get 3 crates of the 12, only 2 crates of the 8 :-(.