Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That German lager flavor  (Read 134565 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: That German lager flavor
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:51 am »
I lager in the primary fermenter (bucket) with an air lock.  I believe the low temperatures keep oxidation at bay.  At least I haven't had any issues with it.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

musseldoc

« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2012, 01:29:44 pm »
If you are using an airlock, then the headspace should be CO2 and keep you safe from oxidation (not indefinitely, but a while).  I think the most important variable is ensuring that yeast is present in whatever container you choose to lager your beer.  Obviously, if you leave it on the primary, then there is plenty of yeast.  However, if you are transferring to a keg or secondary carboy to lager, make sure you transfer the beer before you crash cool to lager temps.  This way, some yeast makes it over into your new lager vessel. 

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #287 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
I've never found the amount of yeast left suspended at the end of fermentation to be enough to keep things going.  I tend to give the beer a stir when I rack to a secondary, and really pull out a good amount of yeast.  Maybe 20% or more of whats in the bottom.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »
I've never found the amount of yeast left suspended at the end of fermentation to be enough to keep things going.  I tend to give the beer a stir when I rack to a secondary, and really pull out a good amount of yeast.  Maybe 20% or more of whats in the bottom.

Yeah. I think a homebrewer is better served by waiting until the beer hits FG before lagering. Trying to lager the traditional way (before terminal gravity is reached) is begging for a stuck ferment.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2013, 07:21:30 pm »
Resurrection! I'm hitting the German lagers hard again. I just had a Weihenstephaner Pilsner and damn was that good! Anyone brewing any good lagers lately? Maybe it's oxidation or something, but whatever makes that beer smell and taste so good, I want it!
Jesse

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #290 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »
I think I am brewing some good lagers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:48 pm »
I think I am brewing some good lagers.
I thought so when I had them.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #292 on: May 24, 2013, 05:14:12 am »
Resurrection! I'm hitting the German lagers hard again. I just had a Weihenstephaner Pilsner and damn was that good! Anyone brewing any good lagers lately? Maybe it's oxidation or something, but whatever makes that beer smell and taste so good, I want it!

Got 4 x 5G in the chest freezer which will start to come down to 32F today for 3 weeks before kegging.  Just tapped a BoPils last night that made me smile!   :)

And 3 more kegs in the lager fridge!

Lager away man! 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:17:41 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #293 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
So jealous. I have a German Pilsner ale-style on tap right now that is pretty good. Not a lager, but resembles one. Any thoughts on Saflager 34/70? Is it basically the WY2124 strain in dry form?
I'm guessing Rahr pils malt is not a good choice for an authentic German lager, it doesn't seem to have that quality aboot it. While clean and tasty, it's missing something.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #294 on: May 24, 2013, 09:08:38 am »
Have not used 34/70 so can't help there at all besides that I've heard good things.....

I have used about all the Wyeast strains though and lean towards, in order: 2001, 2278 and 2124 for my BoPils.  For German Pils I use 2206 and 2308.  And I am about to tap a Spaten clone made with WLP860.  Really looking forward to that!  Tapping tomorrow on a camping trip!   :)

Dave

Dave Zach

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #295 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:42 am »
34/70 is the Weihenstephaner strain.  I have used it a number of times, but had issues with diacetyl early on.  You need to pitch two packets reconstituted, and give it a good few days diacetyl rest close to finishing.  It seems to get better with subsequent generations.  I have found that liquid strains with ample starters work better in my experience.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #296 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:39 am »
S-189 is the best lager strain I've used. It's super easy to use, very clean, but not particularly "German" flavored. IIRC it's a Swiss lager strain.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
Anyone brewing any good lagers lately?

I tapped a keg of Munich Dunkel last night that I'm pretty happy with.  I don't brew much lager, but this beer has me reconsidering that approach.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »
I've been brewing a few lagers lately.  I have a Double Bock on tap now (although a bit young), a CAP lagering and a German Pils fermenting.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
I have lagers sitting in the fridge that I am going to tap in a few weeks. A Czech Dark Lager (saflager 34/70), a Landbier (wlp 833), and a Baltic Porter. I got a little antsy and started drinking the Baltic, which has been hitting the spot this spring. Samples from the others have been very tasty.
Kyle M.