Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Went to Canada on vacation  (Read 4712 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Went to Canada on vacation
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:07:50 pm »
So, can you bring home brew into Canada?  What about shipping some up there to share with others while up there?  It was a long week without my beer - I brought a case of Warsteiner to have some beer thre.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Went to Canada on vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »
I really don't know. I do know I can bring a case into the US so I'm guessing you can bring 24 bottles across this way too. But, I do have to put in a plug for our local beer too.  Where are you going (or where did you go)?  There are some amazing breweries in Canada that you should try when you're here.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:29:58 am »
I had some Molson and Kokonee while there.  I was at a resort on Eagle Lake near Dryden.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:46:47 am »
We;re going toSt John New Brunswick in about 2 weeks.  We got a B & B a block from a brewpub and hopefully the beer is good.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
Dryden is definitely not the place I'd suggest for a beer trip - you must have been fishing (there is a post your fish pictures topic on here... :) )
Molson and Kokanee are basically the BMC of Canadian beer.  Light lager styles (even the ones that are ales are almost indistinguishable from lagers  - Export vs Canadian for example).  But, you won't find much else in that area if you want craft beer.  When I've taken customers fishing up north, I've always had to special order what beer I wanted to take.

St. Johns is a long way from me so I have no real comment but I'm betting you will find some decent beer out East.  One word of caution - Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is very popular in the East.  It is NOT an IPA in the sense that you will be expecting an IPA.  Think of a slightly hoppier Budweiser at best.  Just don't want you to get fooled.  Not sure where you're staying but this place probably has the best choice of anything I've seen (I haven't been to St Johns in a long time though).

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/drinks

Enjoy.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:25 am »
It was a fishing trip.  We stopped overnight in Duluth and visited Fitgers, which had some decent brews.  I am asking about homebrew because in talking with the fishing guide, I realized that a sizer of homebrew would be a nice addition to his tip for the week, as well as a nice way to relax in the evening.  I agree that Molson Canadian and Kokonee were Canadian BMC equivalents, but when the only other choice is actual BMC, you make do with it...cheers!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:54 pm »
You can bring in duty-free up to 8.5 liters of beer or ale, which is basically a case of 12oz bottles.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.pdf

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »
I brought a case of Warsteiner, but my question is whether it could have been a case of homebrew instead!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can bring 24 into the country.  Don't think it matters if its home brew or commercial beer.
I do know that the last time I drove to Chicago, I brought 24 across into the US.  I was very upfront at the border and told them what I had, what it was, how many etc and they had no issues.  Usually what we can bring into the US, you can bring into Canada.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 07:00:56 am »
Dryden is definitely not the place I'd suggest for a beer trip - you must have been fishing (there is a post your fish pictures topic on here... :) )
Molson and Kokanee are basically the BMC of Canadian beer.  Light lager styles (even the ones that are ales are almost indistinguishable from lagers  - Export vs Canadian for example).  But, you won't find much else in that area if you want craft beer.  When I've taken customers fishing up north, I've always had to special order what beer I wanted to take.

St. Johns is a long way from me so I have no real comment but I'm betting you will find some decent beer out East.  One word of caution - Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is very popular in the East.  It is NOT an IPA in the sense that you will be expecting an IPA.  Think of a slightly hoppier Budweiser at best.  Just don't want you to get fooled.  Not sure where you're staying but this place probably has the best choice of anything I've seen (I haven't been to St Johns in a long time though).

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/drinks

Enjoy.
Thanks for the heads-up.  The AleHouse is a definite destination now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico