Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 226065 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Ethnic and Regional Cooking
« Reply #1050 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:41 am »
Schwenkbraten mit blaukraut und Kartoffelbrei

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:39:12 am by redbeerman »
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1051 on: November 19, 2012, 10:47:42 am »
Prepared 9lbs of sauerkraut yesterday.

I use an old ceramic crock. I sliced the cabbage as thin as I could get it, and layered the cabbage in a crock, applying Sea salt and tamping the cabbage with a wooden block as I added each layer. Then placed the crock, covered with a plate and a 10lb weight, in an old fermenter and sealed the bucket leaving the airlock hole just covered with a beer coaster. It will take at least a few weeks but I think it's perfect in six weeks.

Just in time for New Years!
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:06 am »
Schwenkbraten mit blaukraut und Kartoffelbrei

Looks delicious!  :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

I use an old ceramic crock. I sliced the cabbage as thin as I could get it, and layered the cabbage in a crock, applying Sea salt and tamping the cabbage with a wooden block as I added each layer. Then placed the crock, covered with a plate and a 10lb weight, in an old fermenter and sealed the bucket leaving the airlock hole just covered with a beer coaster. It will take at least a few weeks but I think it's perfect in six weeks.

Save some for me!

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2012, 11:32:01 am »

Have you made it before? I plan on making some but maybe one head of cabbage to see how it turns out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1055 on: December 02, 2012, 10:58:52 am »
We have had a six gallon fermentation bucket packed with kraut since october. It is coming along nicely.

Dont just get any cabbage, make sure it is large solid and sound late season cabbage. Late season has lots of natural sugars that make for a good fermentation.

We tried another method that people have told us where you just put it in a jar put the lid on and let it sit. Some even add water. I thought it was crazy because with the lid not much o2 will get in there and I thought maybe the jar could explode but it is working well.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Ethnic and Regional Cooking
« Reply #1056 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »

Have you made it before? I plan on making some but maybe one head of cabbage to see how it turns out.
I make it every year around October/November so that it's ready by the New Year. It's easy and fun to do. So many dishes can be prepared with this old world food. Try it!
Ron Price

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #1057 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:47 am »
A good thread should not die!

I was out mowing the grass about a week ago and disturbed a turtle crawling around the garden fence. I normally just rehome the bigger turtles that i find or my son catches on his rod and reel to the bayou by my office... but this one was not as lucky.

Stewed turtle with onions, garlic, and potatoes with a side of small brussel sprouts - all from the garden. Dessert was fresh picked wild blackberries with sweet bread and good ole vanilla Blue Bell ice cream.

All washed down with a homebrewed porter.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:41:12 am by andrew »
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #1058 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37:43 pm »

I make it every year around October/November so that it's ready by the New Year. It's easy and fun to do. So many dishes can be prepared with this old world food. Try it!
Ron, I woulda teased in a little caraway seed...just me...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1059 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:51 am »
I like caraway in mine too. It's called "Bavarian-style" down here.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #1060 on: May 08, 2013, 11:18:07 am »
We have a brand Kuners here, that is where I first tried ^^^^ Bavarian style and won't look back!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1061 on: May 08, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »
We have a brand Kuners here, that is where I first tried ^^^^ Bavarian style and won't look back!

Onion, brown sugar and caraway seed is how I make it.  Sometimes I put a little beer in it too (a German style, course).

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1062 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »
Hey guys. Nice lookin kraut.

Slovakians put caraway in everything. When people try to put stuff in my kraut now I slap their hand and firmly say "NO!" Like in Conquest of the Planet of The Apes.

What else has been gone on around here? 

Ron did you ever finish the brutus or is it still a work in progress  :P

Where is the weaze, he still brewing?

I may brew a batch this weekend. Wait, no I am working Saturday, looks like I will just get a case of SNPA and suck it down before I get there.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1063 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Hey guys. Nice lookin kraut.

Slovakians put caraway in everything. When people try to put stuff in my kraut now I slap their hand and firmly say "NO!" Like in Conquest of the Planet of The Apes.

What else has been gone on around here? 

Ron did you ever finish the brutus or is it still a work in progress  :P

Where is the weaze, he still brewing?

I may brew a batch this weekend. Wait, no I am working Saturday, looks like I will just get a case of SNPA and suck it down before I get there.
What have you been up to cap?  Weaze is MIA, Ron finished the brutus as far as I know.

When was the last time you brewed?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1064 on: May 16, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »
We miss your insightful input cap!