Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An Interesting Article in Today's Seattle Times  (Read 10539 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:21:02 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: An Interesting Article in Today's Seattle Times
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »
You gotta love the last lines, quoting the enforcement officer, Dixon...

"There's a lot of romance surrounding the operation of a still," Dixon, the enforcement officer, acknowledged. Folklore, too.

"It's just kind of a cool thing," he said. "I don't know how else to put it."

He hastened to add, however, that it is still a crime.

The time is coming, though it'll likely be slow in coming, when we'll be able to home distill just as we home brew beer... or wine... or mead.

The time may even come when the AHA takes on a role in making that possible (at least I hope so and think that would be appropriate.... do you?).
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:49:06 pm »

The time may even come when the AHA takes on a role in making that possible (at least I hope so and think that would be appropriate.... do you?).

I do.  But the AHA doesn't.  They're afraid of being painted with the "moonshiners" brush.  I think they feel that it will diminish their credibility in defending homebrewing, which is legal on a federal level.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
An Interesting Article in Today's Seattle Times
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »
I can't speak for the AHA, but my feeling is that it's a separate issue.  I don't have any problem with legalizing distilling at home, but I also don't feel it should be part of the AHA agenda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:17:28 pm »
Seems like a natural extension of the organization's objectives to me.  The only big bright line I see is the federal legality and that's the one the AHA doesn't want to cross in their lobbying efforts.  Our hobby is making booze.  Why is distilling that booze verboten? 

but I also don't feel it should be part of the AHA agenda.

I wonder how many of the AHA members agree with this.  It would be interesting to include the question on one of the survey's the AHA does.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:22:26 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
Maybe the AHA should have a separate division, called the ADA? (American Distillers Association) A separate entity, with the same support and resources the AHA has.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »
Bill Owens beat them to it:
American Distilling Institute

You'll note a LOT of the same players there as in brewing.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:53 pm »
Bill Owens beat them to it:
American Distilling Institute

You'll note a LOT of the same players there as in brewing.

Thank you very much sir. Found a very interesting page there.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
Yes, it is einen verbotener gegenstand here.  But, rest assured, there are plenty of people and places to discuss it out there.  The BA and AHA choose not to participate in the discussion.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:20 am »
I can't speak for the AHA, but my feeling is that it's a separate issue.  I don't have any problem with legalizing distilling at home, but I also don't feel it should be part of the AHA agenda.

I understand that is the current AHA/BA thinking, but as a member speaking to a Governing Committee member, Denny; I'd ask you (and the others on the Committee) to rethink that stance. There is a fundamental similarity between beer/wine/mead and distilled spirits. There is a large and growing number of BA professionals who are expanding into distillation. It's a natural step - professionally or for home use.  Being able to distill the beer I brew or the mead I make is not a huge stretch, as long as it's for home use, not for sale.

As a member, I would like to see the AHA support this as well. Just my thoughts, but I suspect they're shared by many members. If we keep the topic open to discussion (not just here on the forum, but in general), I suspect that over time it will become a majority opinion.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:53:59 am »
I don't think distilling should fall within the purview of the AHA. I think there is a lot more general acceptance of beer and wine consumption than spirits, and I don't see the value in fighting the neo-prohibitionists on this topic. I think it would only take one kid with a poorly designed still blowing himself up for the AHA to lose a lot of credibility.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:20 am »
i don't think it needs to be part of the AHA mission.  The AHA supports a legal hobby.  There is nothing stopping our members from forming a new organization to pursue legalizing home distilling.  I would wager many   are members of other organizations that support hobbies.  I don't see our resources used for this any more than I would expect a model railroad, gardening, cross-stitching, motorcycle, fishing, organization to be involved.
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:48:13 am »
I always thought the AHA should do more to promote cross-stitching...

I don't see it as an AHA issue either.  But, I did a search and as far as I can tell (and this is by no means perfect), no one up here in Canada has ever been prosecuted for making spirits at home.  Selling, yes but never for making for personal use even though it's technically illegal.  Has me thinking...

Offline gogreen437

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:43:40 am »
Seems like a natural extension of the organization's objectives to me.  The only big bright line I see is the federal legality and that's the one the AHA doesn't want to cross in their lobbying efforts.  Our hobby is making booze.  Why is distilling that booze verboten? 

You could argue the similarities, but it seems just as logical (if not more so) that an organization named the American Homebrewers Association would largely concern themselves with brewing.  It is easy for me to say this because I have no interest in distilling, but choosing not to dilute the mission makes sense to me. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:15:24 am »
I would love to try my hand at distilling if it could be done safely and legally, and I can definitely see the synergy between homebrewing and home-distilling, but I don't think the AHA should dilute its focus by taking on distilling. We don't cover winemaking, so why would we cover distilling? If there was an overarching organization representing vintners, brewers and distillers together, that would be different.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer