Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unlabelled Kegs  (Read 8072 times)

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
Unlabelled Kegs
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:21 am »
Are a pain.  I need to get the darn brewer to be more organized.  I have 4 kegs sitting here full of beer that isn't labelled.  So, here I am tasting them and wondering what style it fits.  Geez what a mess...

Maybe its a good thing, I can call it what it tastes like and not worry about what it was meant to be.  Oh well, just a rant for today.  I know that one is a solera sour that was aged, and its pretty good.  One I am pretty sure is my Swiller Lite, as it has very little body, fizzy and yellow.

The other two are red.  I make lots of variations of red beers, so thats an issue.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Unlabelled Kegs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:05:53 pm »
Just rename them.  How'bout, "Hazy Recollection Red" and "What's This Red?" ?

None of friends care how they are made so I change names all the time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:27 pm »
I just peel off the masking tape I use to label my carboys and stick it on the keg.

Style, date brewed, OG, date kegged, FG.  All the info you care to know but nobody else cares about.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »
Wow! i guess I don't brew enough. I also only own 3 kegs but I don't think I have ever marked a carboy or keg. hmm... wonder if I am doing it wrong?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:36 pm »
I can call it what it tastes like and not worry about what it was meant to be. 

I do that^^^ even when I know what it is.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »
I just peel off the masking tape I use to label my carboys and stick it on the keg.

Style, date brewed, OG, date kegged, FG.  All the info you care to know but nobody else cares about.
I do the same, or make new keg tags with the same info.

But yeah, unless you plan to enter it in a competition call it whatever you want.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

I do the same, except I use small (3 by 5 inch) hanging tags. I slip them into the carboy harness, then tie them to the keg handle. I add %ABV so I can update my "now serving" menu w/o having to go back to Beersmith.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:48:07 am »
I'm with Mort.  I'm afraid I don't mark anything but starters (and I started doing that after making 3 starters once and forgetting which was which).  For some reason, I know exactly what is fermenting downstairs and I know what's in the cooler and storage.  But, like everyone else has said, it doesn't really matter unless you want to enter a competition. 

Mix all your unknown kegs together and I bet you'll have the best beer ever since you won't be able to repeat it!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:11 am »
Wow! i guess I don't brew enough. I also only own 3 kegs but I don't think I have ever marked a carboy or keg. hmm... wonder if I am doing it wrong?

I've got four carboys fermenting right now (of course, I had a three month hiatus so I need to catch up).  Two are a split batch with different yeast, so the labels are important for that.

I add %ABV so I can update my "now serving" menu w/o having to go back to Beersmith.

I typically add ABV as well.  Especially important at parties, where I've found that the 10% tripels get drained while the wits and ambers barely get touched.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:35 am »
I have a box of 500 of these: http://www.staples.com/Avery-Marking-Tags-Retail-Tags/product_SS951324

Hang them around the neck of the starter jug, move to the fermenter and put them on the keg lid bracket and write all you want.  They go on easy and are easy to remove.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Unlabelled Kegs
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:40:42 am »
I use soap crayons, the kind made for kids to use in the bathtub.  They write on metal, glass, and plastic.  They wipe off easily with a wet washcloth.  The only disadvantage is they may wipe off *too* easily when condensation or spills happen.  I use them to label kegs, starter jugs, and bottles.

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
same here,
but I keep telling myself, "I can remember this." unfortunately, I am not able to remember often enough. I have started with the painters blue masking tape. it goes on easy and comes off - so far.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
I use white electrical tape.  Easy to write on, easy to read.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »
I use white electrical tape.  Easy to write on, easy to read.

but don't you get shocked all the time?  ::)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »
I use a Sharpie on the side of the keg. It won't come off with condensation, and you can clean it off with isopropyl alcohol.
Mark Gres