Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)  (Read 25376 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: "Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 09:09:11 am »
The beers of yours I've tried have been uniformly excellent.  Even if they weren't I'd be more inclined to say it isn't to my taste rather than try to tell you how to do it.
That's what you always say about my beers!

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
I've been keeping my eyes on this post for a few days, and it is definitely interesting to see the responses. To me, this whole idea can (should?) be broken down into two different kinds of criticisms, style and off-flavors. One of my favorite beer styles Strong Scotch ale, I just love 'em. I've had a lot of Scotch ales where I can definitely smell and taste peat-smoked malt, and I don't like it. Peat in Scotch whisky? Awesome, Laphroaig is outstanding, but I think peat smoke muddies the intense malt sweetness that I love so much in Scotch ale. Would I ever go up to a commercial brewer and say, "You know, you shouldn't add peated malt to your scotch ale"? Absolutely not, because I know my tastes don't suit everyone. On the other hand, if I could taste rubbing alcohol in a Scotch ale, that's a different question and maybe something needs to be said. But I still don't know if I would say anything because the pros who brewed probably have more experience tasting beer than I do, so maybe they already know something went wrong with their fermentation.

Under the right circumstances, "that guy" could be helpful in recognizing fatal flaws in beer that may have gone unnoticed, but "that guy" could also become a nuisance by describing "flaws" in a beer that simply reflect personal tastes. Stone's Arrogant Bastard proudly states "You will not like this beer", and I'm sure a lot of people don't, but the recipe isn't going to change.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
"Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 09:53:47 am »
Two words for ya major:

Tim Tebow   8)

Now that is always a fun topic to disagree about. :P

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 09:56:59 am »
Football is right around the corner.  Cardinals and Saints play on August 5th.  Almost time to start another football thread.  :)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:50 am »
Under the right circumstances, "that guy" could be helpful in recognizing fatal flaws in beer that may have gone unnoticed, but "that guy" could also become a nuisance by describing "flaws" in a beer that simply reflect personal tastes. Stone's Arrogant Bastard proudly states "You will not like this beer", and I'm sure a lot of people don't, but the recipe isn't going to change.

In order for "that guy" to be helpful, he'd have to actually taste the beer...which he didn't.  Given that, any comments he made had nothing to back them up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »
i didn't catch anywhere where "that guy" critiqued the brewing, the quality, the flavor etc.  merely a statistic associated with the brew. or even less the style. 

one doesn't need to be a professional painter to know that the white you were expecting isn't the red that came in the can. 

not everything sn brews is worth drinking

1) a 1.083 IIPA is out of style guidelines??? It's hard for me to express his attitude over the internet, I recon. Condescension is rarely a heralded trate.

2) And did you read my description of the brew? It fits perfectly within the style!

3) And your point is? Just because you don't find a particular beer to be "worth drinking" doesn't mean the brewery doesn't have a good monetary reason for making that beer. It's not always all about what the beer snobs like to see in bottles, it's about what sells as often as not. Maybe you don't really get the full grasp of why Sierra Nevada sells the beers they do. Maybe your favorite IPA recipe would cause them to lose money.

i agree with all this.  my point is that it just because he is not a pro doesn't mean he can't make valid observations.  in this case maybe not so valid.  i do agree that it is all in the way he may have presented this hence i would refer to "that guy" in this instance as a douche.  however if he had said, wow, nice take on your IIPA, but i wasn't expecting it to be x, y, or z in nature.  would it then have opened up a good conversation.   I guess overall i agree with you, but my thought is that it seems like we are out of bounds criticizing pros.  though i know this is not in your case because i have heard you time and again defend commercial beers Budweiser and (i think you have also defended) corona.  and i agree with you there.  i think this is the case mostly of how things are communicated.
Don AHA member

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »
Amen Major. I had a guy ask to come over and see my Brutus system, ask questions and such as he was looking to build his own.  He tasted a couple of my beers and here are some of his comments to a tee...Ill never forget because I spent the evening thinking...wow I never met a homebrewer like that before. What a pompous ass.

"Clean IPA very good, but I do this in mine and its better for it"
"Youre better than 99% of the brewers I know"...me:"oh thanks man" him: "Im the 1% better though"
"Ive been brewing for 7 years I know all there is to know about brewing, hes adjusting his water for this reason, but I know all there is to know about water and I dont do it for a reason."
to his gf: "THis is the second best pumpkin beer we've had huh sweety?"....his gf turns her head and takes another sip of mine and says "yeh"

Lol comical. Funny thing was, hes over in MY HOUSE asking me questions about MY SYSTEM, making these comments. Then when he left he said, maybe we can do a collaborative batch or something. Never understood people like this, if you know all there is know, then where is the fun in doing it. Get over yourself.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »
Amen Major. I had a guy ask to come over and see my Brutus system, ask questions and such as he was looking to build his own.  He tasted a couple of my beers and here are some of his comments to a tee...Ill never forget because I spent the evening thinking...wow I never met a homebrewer like that before. What a pompous ass.

"Youre better than 99% of the brewers I know"...me:"oh thanks man" him: "Im the 1% better though"
"Ive been brewing for 7 years I know all there is to know about brewing, hes adjusting his water for this reason, but I know all there is to know about water and I dont do it for a reason."
to his gf: "THis is the second best pumpkin beer we've had huh sweety?"....his gf turns her head and takes another sip of mine and says "yeh"

Lol comical. Funny thing was, hes over in MY HOUSE asking me questions about MY SYSTEM, making these comments. Then when he left he said, maybe we can do a collaborative batch or something. Never understood people like this, if you know all there is know, then where is the fun in doing it. Get over yourself.

There is at least one guy like that in every area. We had one that I can see in my mind saying the same things.

At one point you could have said "Yeah, homebrewing is 99% asshole free".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
Its the brewery's job to put their best foot forward. If they think I could be of help, they'll ask my opinion. Otherwise, I'll keep buying the beer if I like it, and vice versa if I don't.

I'm sure "that guy" is the same guy that tells you why his political opinions are superior to yours.

We call "that guy" a "douchebag" 'round these parts.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »

There is at least one guy like that in every area. We had one that I can see in my mind saying the same things.

At one point you could have said "Yeah, homebrewing is 99% asshole free".

HAH! Wish I would've thought of it at the time.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:44 pm »
This

If you are happy with yourself and satisfied that you are living by your own values, who gives a s*** how others judge you (or your work)?

And especially THIS:
That guy is out there and he's everywhere.  I just ignore him and don't worry about what he has to say.

Why get worked up over it?

"Probrewers"
(insert eyeroll)

;) Don't worry about that guy man. 
Have some confidence in your product and gimme a chuckle. 8)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:36 am »
I guess the only thing more annoying than over-critical homebrewers is all the Dr. Phils in the room (insert eyeroll).  ;)

I'm not wringing my hands about this nor have I lost any sleep or have any issues with my self worth. I have confidence in the beer and have had my share of criticism, some fair, some not. I don't think you guys who are on the Dr. Phil trip realize how many people I have interacted with over the two years I have been doing this. I sell beer all over the state of alabama and have met hudereds of people. I have just noticed that sometimes homebrewers can tend to be overly critical about other people's beer: both homebrewed and commercial.

I got way more worked up about Nateo's comments and his seeming implication that some guy who hadn't even tried the beer could be offering some hidden gem of wisdom that I had failed to grasp more than I did over anything else. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:50:47 am by majorvices »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03:10 am »
I have just noticed that sometimes homebrewers can tend to be overly critical about other people's beer: both homebrewed and commercial.

This is why i don't let other brewers drink my beer ;D (I am critical enough of the stuff i brew)
Don AHA member

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:58 am »

Wow...Just, wow.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"Homebrewers" (insert eyeroll)
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:43 pm »
Yeah, even if he was kidding that is total douche material. In the graphic design business we have a lot of people like that. They won't pay you a legitimate compliment no matter what. They never become art directors, because they are so blinded by their ego that they can't see talent.