Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tips for a family trip to the Jersey Shore  (Read 6895 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Tips for a family trip to the Jersey Shore
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:57:41 pm »
So, from experience, I know very well that I'm going to a craft beer wasteland:  Ocean City, New Jersey.  I know there aren't any breweries around (1 in Atlantic city, and I've been there once), but are there any good beer/liquor stores that I can find some good east coast beer?  I'm from Colorado, so I'd like to try some sixpoint, Southern Tier, Troegs, etc... Any ideas are welcome,
Dave
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Tips for a family trip to the Jersey Shore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:02:33 pm »
Where are you flying in to, and how much control do you have over getting to OC?  It might be best to stock up on the way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »
Good call.  We're flying into Philadelphia.  However, I will have my almost-2 year-old daughter, so that will determine if we get to stop or not :)
Dave Malone

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »
I actually spent a lot of time in OCNJ when I was in college. I really like the beach and it is definitely family-oriented. In fact the town is "dry". Your last chance is the store before crossing the bridge. But I doubt their selection, and high prices, have changed much since then. I would find a shop in the Philly area.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »
Good call.  We're flying into Philadelphia.  However, I will have my almost-2 year-old daughter, so that will determine if we get to stop or not :)
If I know 2 year olds, you'll be stopping.  Maybe not at a beer store, but stopping nonetheless.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:16 am »
I would wait until you get to NJ to stop (if you get to stop).  In PA, you have buy beer by the case, or pay $$ at a bottle shop.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Tips for a family trip to the Jersey Shore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:01 am »
I'd stop PA and buy a couple cases of Troeggs and then you will be all set for the beach. :) Their Dream Weaver HefeWeizen is extremely delicious as is their Sunshine pils. And, of course, make sure you pick up a case of Troeggenator too.

Then, instead of hading to Jersey, fly south to the Gulf. I grew up going to the beach on the Atlantic, but the Gulf is soooo much nicer. Sugar sands, less crowded, cotton candy sunsets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:43:45 am by majorvices »

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »
I appreciate the recommendations.  I want to try some good east coast beers.  On my list are:  Sixpoint, smuttynose, southhampton, Cigar City, Captain Lawrence and Southern Tier... Am I missing any must have's?
Dave Malone

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:18:24 am »
Like rbclay said, Oc is dry so I would definitely stock up on the way.  I was in OC last year and there was a store outside that had some craft beer but it was overpriced.  I dont remember the selections but it was the closest place to get beer and I was glad that they had something not BMC.  You should be able to find a Joe Canals liquor store on the way. They usually have a decent selection.  Or a Buy-Rite, but I don’t know if they are in Southern New Jersey. I know the Buy-Rites by me have a good selection and will fill up growlers.  If you have a two year old, I'm sure you will be stopping. and if your 2 year old is like mine, he/she will need to use one of the dirtiest bathroom. I would imagine a liqour store one would count.

Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head, not necessarily must have, but some good beer. I'm sure I forgot some and you may have had them already. I dont really know distribution.
Riverhorse
Stoudts
Flying Fish
Ramstein
Boaks
You probably have had.
Troegs
Victory
Weyerbacher

There also have been some newer breweries that have popped up recently, but I haven’t gotten to try them yet so I can't vouch for their beer but who doesn't like brewery tours.
Tuckahoe brewery and Cape May brewery are probably about .5 hour from OC
Mark

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:55 am »
stay away from the "Jersey Shore" type douchbags...

http://beermapping.com/
Phoenix, AZ

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:33 pm »
@Delo- Great post, you were right on with the beers I've had and haven't!
@Ehall- Yeah, I always look there first, and it was pretty bleak... Hence my post :)  There is a Joe Canals fairly close.

My brother-in-law is a homebrewer in the Philadelphia area who is going to load up his trunk, and he asked me what I wanted... Score!  That's why I'm now asking what east coast beers are good...
Dave Malone