Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: types of hops?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
types of hops?
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »
i went on vacation recently to wisconsin where we bought a variety pack of new glarus beers. Their pale ale really spoke to me, "moon man" http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beer/moon-man
i really liked the hop character it had towards the end of the palate and wanted to know if anyone knew what hops they used and which ones were most dominant. I am planning my next brew to be a pale ale, and i thought i might give these hops a shot if anyone knows what they are. Thanks in advance!
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Re: types of hops?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:16 pm »
last time i wanted to know what hops a beer used i emailed the brewer from a link on their website and he got back to me within a few hours. give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 05:54:07 am »
I like Moon Man. Some information is on this thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/new-glarus-moon-man-clone-help-193381/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:13 am »
I would give that recipe on the posted link a shot and simply bitter it with something clean like Magnum or Galena and shoot for 35 to 45 IBU or whatever BU/GU ratio you prefer in your pale ales. Unless you happen to have a feel for the IBU after tasting it anyway. You would have to take a WAG based on your perception of actual bitterness and that might be tricky because of the rather heavy load of dry hopping in that posted recipe.

FYI I brewed a rather large APA sort of like that recently using different hops ( Citra, Columbus, and Centennial ) and let the dry hop sit for 2 weeks. This was not a good idea and left harsh, astringent flavors in the finish. Three days should be adequate so make sure you follow that recommendation. I was out of town on vacation and couldn't rack it.

Looks like a tasty recipe to me.