Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water to Grain Ratio  (Read 11088 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Water to Grain Ratio
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:45 am »
I'm going back to a ratio closer to 1:1.  I know with a higher water to grain ratio you get higher efficiency but I like my beer a littl maltier and more mouthfeel.  Any thoughts on it?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Water to Grain Ratio
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:22:38 am »
I'm going back to a ratio closer to 1:1.  I know with a higher water to grain ratio you get higher efficiency but I like my beer a littl maltier and more mouthfeel.  Any thoughts on it?

Why do you think that will make your beers maltier and give them more mouthfeel?  I certainly haven't found that to be the case.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:35 am »
All I can say is that I like the lower mash ratio in "most" beers except IPA's.  From batches made in the past, to me it seems a higher ratio is more grainy or harsh while a lower ratio seems to have a more mellow finish.  I'll definitely know after lowering it for the next few batches, and I'll do a few of the same recipes at a higher ratio just to prove it for myself. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:38:10 am »
All I can say is that I like the lower mash ratio in "most" beers except IPA's.  From batches made in the past, to me it seems a higher ratio is more grainy or harsh while a lower ratio seems to have a more mellow finish.  I'll definitely know after lowering it for the next few batches, and I'll do a few of the same recipes at a higher ratio just to prove it for myself. 

Well, testing for yourself is the only way to know.  Make 2 identical batches, changing only the ratio.  I gotta tell you, though, I haven't noticed that kind of effect in my beers.  I'm really digging the thinner ratio.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:41:47 am »
Do you use the same water?

Maybe there are more salts in the mash at the higher ratio affecting your pH more.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:59 am »
Do you use the same water?

Maybe there are more salts in the mash at the higher ratio affecting your pH more.

If you mean Dean and me, no we don't.  And I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around why pH would make a difference in mouthfeel.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
If you mean Dean and me, no we don't.
Sorry.  I meant does Dean use the same water for the low ratio vs high ratio mashes?

And I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around why pH would make a difference in mouthfeel.
I guess I was referring to the grainy/harsh comment.  Maybe I'm way off there too.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:13:33 am »
I've played around with different ratios and I can't say I've noticed a difference in mouthfeel or flavor either.  I went from a 5 gallon cooler to a ten gallon cooler, which gave me the opportunity to use a higher water/grist ratio and the only thing I've noticed is that I don't need to sparge more than once after the additional run off.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:17:16 am »
pH of the mash could affect the tannin extraction which would lend a "dry" mouthfeel.
The water ratio may affect his mash pH. Dean do you check your mash pH?
Brew on

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:49 am »
...  My back is really appreciating the thinner ratio.

FTFY :D
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:46:17 am »
I've played around with different ratios and I can't say I've noticed a difference in mouthfeel or flavor either.  I went from a 5 gallon cooler to a ten gallon cooler, which gave me the opportunity to use a higher water/grist ratio and the only thing I've noticed is that I don't need to sparge more than once after the additional run off.

agreed - I sort of let the ratio 'find itself" so that I get equal runoffs from the first run and sparge.  as long as it is within 1.25 qt/lb and 2.0 I don't worry about it.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

agreed - I sort of let the ratio 'find itself" so that I get equal runoffs from the first run and sparge.  as long as it is within 1.25 qt/lb and 2.0 I don't worry about it.

+1

...equal amounts for first runnings and sparge is my target.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:55:05 am »

+1

...equal amounts for first runnings and sparge is my target.

+ me too!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »
This last batch I had a ratio of 1.25:1 and maybe its just the yeast or maybe the fact that I finally have a handle on the pH... but it sure smells heavenly!  I was mashing at 1.5:1 and its only since I mashed that high that I started not getting the flavors I had in past batches, including those I brewed while I lived in Ohio.  Who knows... maybe its all in my head but I'm not done messing with my recipes and procedures yet.   ;D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:14:16 am »
Interesting observation.

Mash thickness does affect pH. The more residual alkalinity you have the more pronounced the effect will be. While thicker mashes tend to give lower mash pH they also leave more water for sparging which means the pH can rise more during sparging.

What would be necessary to pin this down is a side-by-side or even back-to-back experiment where you take a number of pH numbers and also determine the ferment ability of the wort. But if 1:1 mashes work for you better than 1.5:1 or 2:1  you may as well just stick with it. There is no dogma with respect to the mash thickness that you should use.

Kai