Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What was your last change in your procedure that you feel was beneficial?  (Read 20799 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
It's not a major change, but the last thing I've done is only using distilled water for my sanitizer.  I know this is not a big thing, but I was wondering what the last thing big/small, that you guys did that you feel helped your brewing. 

Sound off!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Hmm, good question.  My actual brewing system has remained pretty static for awhile now.  I guess the last thing I did to upgrade was to add a couple of stirplates to my arsenal.

I think the next thing I'm going to work on is getting a pump to help me move the wort around and to whirlpool when chilling.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
i recently purchased an aeration stone/wand and I saw a def improvement in fermentation speed
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I've started using my swamp cooler even when ambient temps are in an OK range. I find that this helps keep the initial spike in temp under control as fermentation takes off.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
i got a chest freezer and tcd. loving the results. for my recent birthday i picked up a grain mill and o2 wand but haven't had time to use either yet. hoping next monday! and i just read about starsan and distilled water here today so i'm totally doing a small batch tomorrow when i brew. excited to hear this helps it stay good longer!

cheers.

ryan
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Refractometer; makes it much faster to take readings during the brew session.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Learning about water/mash chemistry and applying what I learned to my process.  Now I always hit my desired mash pH and my water flavor profiles really help my beers shine.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Bought a mix-stir.  Sure beats a whisk for aerating!

Ha!  No pun...... ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:58:05 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Making starters. I am impressed with how quickly I get activity in the carboy... Usually less than 1 hour.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Adding a water filter to my brew stand.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Learning more about water chemistry, for me, was also a big step. 
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
I have to say though that the most recent upgrade that has had the biggest effect on my brewing is converting my chest freezer in to a lager fermentation vessel.  I can now ferment 4 lagers at a time which is awesome.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
My last change in procedure was to eliminate two pumps from my regular brewing activities. I got rid of a sub-pump used to recirc ice-water through my IC in the warm-weather months and the march pump for general recirculation and transfer of wort.

Now I just use frozen 20oz PET (soda) bottles to chill the wort down to ale or lager temps. Have found it to be more effective and just as fast if not quicker in cooling the wort down to desired pitching temps!

Through these changes I have accomplished savings in time and effort and have removed the need to make ice, and use a cooler/bucket, two pumps and corresponding hose. I no longer have to move, hook-up or clean these particular pieces of equipment. Also there has been a reduction in mess and spilled wort or water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
My last change in procedure was to eliminate two pumps from my regular brewing activities. I got rid of a sub-pump used to recirc ice-water through my IC in the warm-weather months and the march pump for general recirculation and transfer of wort.

Now I just use frozen 20oz PET (soda) bottles to chill the wort down to ale or lager temps. Have found it to be more effective and just as fast if not quicker in cooling the wort down to desired pitching temps!

Through these changes I have accomplished savings in time and effort and have removed the need to make ice, and use a cooler/bucket, two pumps and corresponding hose. I no longer have to move, hook-up or clean these particular pieces of equipment. Also there has been a reduction in mess and spilled wort or water.

Euge, that is a great idea.  How many bottles does it typically take?  I assume just a good spray of StarSan?

I was about to buy a pump to make a recirculating ice bath.  Just saved me $100 and a lot of time......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Big change - chest freezer/controller for fermenting.
little change - quit trying to emulate water profiles, took a minimalist approach to water treatment.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.