Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hatch chiles  (Read 12718 times)

Offline rblack90

• Cellarman
Re: hatch chiles
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:42 pm »
I made some roasted hatch chile salsa on Sunday,
Split into two 32 ounce containers.
I then put 7 ground ghost peppers into one
and 14 into the other.
What can I say I'm a pepper head!!!!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 02:13:51 am »
I'm always so jealous of your grocery options!  My pepper selection usually runs from Green Bell to the very exotic Red Bell.  Sometimes there's Scotch Bonnets (haberneros?) and jalapeno's that's it.  In my Mexican cookbook string Nateo mentions a bunch of chile's and I had to smile cause I've never heard of any of them.

Enjoy your chile's Tom and please have a Fin du Monde with them in honour of your under-privledged neighbours to the North.
Sorry man :)

My wife found some hatch chiles at a different store, already roasted and cooled, so got some and a whole chicken, spatchcocked it, peeled and chopped some chiles then mixed it with minced garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil, then rubbed the chicken with it.  We grilled that for dinner, served with a side of chiles (and some boiled new potatoes and a nice salad - awesome.

I'm rethinking the 25 lb box I was going to get - that's a LOT of chiles.  We'll see.  I think raw for the ABTs though.  The heat on the ones she found today were perfect for eating as is, a bit of burn but nothing to make you sweat.  The ABTs should be mild enough for most of the people, not like the ones I made with jalepnos last year.

We'll make some salsa with the rest of what she got today I think.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:53 am »
Mmmmmm.......A B T 'S

Tom,
What are you putting in yours?  I do onion/chive cream cheese, pulled pork, wrapped in bacon, sprinkle my rib rub, smoke for 2 hrs.  Just did 100 for the Savannah Brewers League golf outing.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »
Got a pig roast to go to tomorrow so I'm taking ABT's (which I've never heard of before this thread).  Got 35 jalapeno's and also a bunch of small, jalapeno shaped sweet peppers (red/orange) for those who don't like the heat. 
The thought of "little smokies" in them sounds absolutely disgusting.  I'm gonna put shrimp in 1/2 and pineapple chunks in the other 1/2 (at least of the hot ones).  Haven't seen anything using pineapple but I think the sweetness will help cut the heat.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »
Got a pig roast to go to tomorrow so I'm taking ABT's (which I've never heard of before this thread).  Got 35 jalapeno's and also a bunch of small, jalapeno shaped sweet peppers (red/orange) for those who don't like the heat. 
The thought of "little smokies" in them sounds absolutely disgusting.  I'm gonna put shrimp in 1/2 and pineapple chunks in the other 1/2 (at least of the hot ones).  Haven't seen anything using pineapple but I think the sweetness will help cut the heat.

Just be careful of the shrimp over cooking, otherwise that sounds awesome!  I've never made these w/ meat and I'm w/ you, the little smokies just don't sound very good, but I guess you never know until you've tried em'.  I've always mixed my cream cheese w/ some caramelized purple onions, lime juice and cilantro and skipped adding additional meat in them, but have tossed around the idea of putting some andouille or Portuguese sausage in them (take the casings off and shape the meat inside the peppers).  Just got a bushel of hatch and Anaheims, so I just may try adding some meat to my ABTs.  Looking forward to how your shrimp ones turn out. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline jeff67

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:58 am »
Go ahead and get the 25 pound box have them roasted and then clean (remove the skin and seeds) and freeze them in quart bags.  They will last until the next chile season.  A green chile cheeseburger is the best and you cant beat green chile stew in the winter.  (better than chicken soup for a cold).

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 01:32:43 am »
I know they keep well, but freezer space is limited.  Between the lbs of hops and the 50 lb box of salmon I'll be getting to smoke, I'm not sure where I'll keep them.  But maybe.

For my ABT's I usually cheat and put some smoked cheddar on the inside.  I sometimes do small bits of hotdog and i've used lil smokies, but usually it is just cheese.

BTW, I made a batch of chile verde and served it to the neighbors tonight.  You know it was awesome :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 07:51:53 am »
I broke down and bought a pound- roasted them and into the freezer. Ended up with 9 chiles so that's 9 batches of green chile shrimp & grits I will be able to make.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:12 am »
I broke down and bought a pound- roasted them and into the freezer. Ended up with 9 chiles so that's 9 batches of green chile shrimp & grits I will be able to make.

Ohhh, I've love shrimp & grits and usually do them in the traditional cajun/ southern gulf coast way, but I've yet to use roasted green chili sauce, definitely gonna have to try that!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
When I make my Oktoberfest brats I keep some of the sausage to fill jalapenos, it's a very tasty treat.  I wrap them in bacon and put them on the smoker at 300 for about an hour
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 11:38:23 am »

Ohhh, I've love shrimp & grits and usually do them in the traditional cajun/ southern gulf coast way, but I've yet to use roasted green chili sauce, definitely gonna have to try that!

Corky was the one who turned me on to using them in shrimp and grits. Just use roasted green chiles instead of or in addition to bell-pepper. Nice heat.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:14 pm »

Corky was the one who turned me on to using them in shrimp and grits. Just use roasted green chiles instead of or in addition to bell-pepper. Nice heat.
Euge can you post the recipe?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 09:00:33 am »

Euge can you post the recipe?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10931.0 Shrimp and grits is pretty flexible so it can be varied and tailored per anyone's tastes.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
I need to clean at least one of my freezers out.  The farm we buy from outside of Artesia NM has an excellent crop of Barkers and Sandias this year.  We're almost out of last year's batch so it's time for a couple of bushels.
Last night we had green chile bacon cheeseburgers, the real "Cheeseburger in Paradise" with a few fresh Hatch chiles.  Every store has their chile roasters going outside, the smell of roasting chiles is all over town right now and it's wonderful.  When the chile roasters fire up, the long hot summer is over.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico