Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buffalo Wild Wings and home brew  (Read 17229 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Buffalo Wild Wings and home brew
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »
Was that Zack Galifinakis?

Oh, and when it comes to inane commercials...

http://youtu.be/aGAOGkdsYBk
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:10 am »
I think it's funny enough.  Why would I be offended?  It's good to laugh at yourself.

Not that I'm going there, I don't even know where the nearest one is.  I went about 15 years ago in Indiana, I thought the wings were fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:45 am »
I think it's funny enough.  Why would I be offended?  It's good to laugh at yourself.

Not that I'm going there, I don't even know where the nearest one is.  I went about 15 years ago in Indiana, I thought the wings were fine.
Pa used to say,"It's good to be able to laugh at yourself because if you can't, somebody else certainly will." ;D
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 06:55:29 am »
i'm not sure what they figure they gain by beating up on homebrewers.
Yeah, but The Brewing Network consistently insults homebrewers and talks about how terrible homebrew is, and homebrewers seem to eat that up.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:44:36 am »
Yeah, but The Brewing Network consistently insults homebrewers and talks about how terrible homebrew is, and homebrewers seem to eat that up.

????

That hasn't been my experience with the Brewing Network.

Other than the AHA, I don't think anyone has done more to advance homebrewing that the Brewing Network.  Are they a little childish and immature at times? Yes.  But, with the help of AHA members; Jamil, Mike McDole, John Palmer, and Nathan Smith they have provide countless numbers of homebrewers with valuable tips to improve homebrewing and the homebrewing community.  I generally tune out all of the stupid jokes and childish antics and listen for the technical info.  My homebrewing has vastly improved since joining the AHA AND listening to the BN.

Edit:  Plus they have provided homebrewers who otherwise wouldn't have a meeting place or a club due to their location a place to meet and discuss homebrewing topics.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:02:02 am by hoser »

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:08:33 am »

do they?  i'm not a listener.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41:57 am »

????

That hasn't been my experience with the Brewing Network.

Other than the AHA, I don't think anyone has done more to advance homebrewing that the Brewing Network. ...
I didn't mean to question the quality of the information, just that the Sunday show now consistently has comments like "Of course it sucks, it's homebrew," or something similar, usually from JP. I think it has been mentioned in one way or another just about every week, lately.  I suppose it's a joke, but it seems kind of similar to the BWW thing. 

You might just not be noticing it, if you are tuning out the banter.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:01:52 pm by malzig »

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:26 am »
JP is kind of an entity unto his own.  I definitely tune out most of his idiotic comments.  That being said, I haven't listened lately.  I usually download shows I am interested in listening to on my commute, so I am a little behind on a lot of the recent episodes.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
The only Brewing Network shows I can handle are the ones where they have really good guests who do all the talking. I don't really want to listen to an hour of dick jokes to get maybe a few good tips on brewing.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 02:11:52 pm »
JP also posted a tweet about this.
"love it when tubby know-it-alls (aka homebrewers) get riled up when people make fun of their hobby". How's it feel to be a "tubby know-it-all?
He goes on to say most of our beers DO Taste like we put brats in so we shouldn't get offended.
I didn't mind the commercial but this ass' comments are annoying and since he's on the show, he represents the BN. I used to think they were funny but I've had enough of the racist jokes and making fun of any country that isn't the US.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:05:33 pm by gmac »

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:33 am »
It's great to have the AHA--which as a nonprofit organization presents a mature face to homebrewing. I do occasionally listen to BN podcasts. Last week I timed one podcast: 9 minutes of immature patter, followed by 3 minutes of commercials, and only then did the podcast get into the topic.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:29 am »
JP also posted a tweet about this.
"love it when tubby know-it-alls (aka homebrewers) get riled up when people make fun of their hobby". How's it feel to be a "tubby know-it-all?

My favorite thing about JP is he says crap like that, then he acts shocked when everyone doesn't love him when he wins Club of the Year. Either he's really that dumb, or he just likes stirring the pot.

FWIW I am a know-it-all, I'm a bit tubby (thanks to all the beer), and I did get a bit riled, but I think the classy thing to do would be to not call attention to it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:41:28 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »
Pretty funny commercial, but what's truly hilarious is the nutritional content of a 12 piece order of "traditional" BWW wings:

Calories: 1,340
Fat: 110 grams (44 grams of which is saturated fat)
Cholesterol: 310 miligrams
Sodium: 2,860 miligrams

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 06:12:10 am »
That's why wings taste so good :)

And this may not even inlude the bleu cheese.

Kai
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:55:20 am by Kaiser »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:11 am »
Pretty funny commercial, but what's truly hilarious is the nutritional content of a 12 piece order of "traditional" BWW wings:

Calories: 1,340
Fat: 110 grams (44 grams of which is saturated fat)
Cholesterol: 310 miligrams
Sodium: 2,860 miligrams

Jesus dude...I used to put this garbage in my stomach regularly.  I still get the craving for wings once in a while and everyone once in a while I appease those cravings.  But nearly every single time I do, I always feel sh*tty afterwards.
Jesse