Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 9830 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: I'm back
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
Welcome back to the forum. Returns may be a trend.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:09 am »
Good to see ya back, Ryan!

I admire you guys for losing weight.  That's my goal now.  I lost about 35 lb. a few years ago, then gained it all back and more.  I'm on the "don't be such a pig" diet now and aiming for at least 5 days a week on the treadmill.  I'm shooting for a loss of at least 50 lb. You guys are an inspiration to me and proof that it can be done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:32 am »
Hey Ryan....I was wondering what happened to you.  Glad to see that you made it back to the obsession...errr hobby. Looking good man! :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:19 am »
Great to see you back on the forums Ryan!  Welcome back to the obsession.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »
I've actually decided to make brewing a hobby again. Got rid of all my ten gallon stuff and a bunch of kegs. Lifting/Bodybuilding is my obsession now. Most of my friends think that you can't do both. They're wrong.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:50 pm »
Coming from a guy who has been lifting weights somewhat religiously since I was 18 (and younger if you count school athletics), I can tell you it can be done. But it is difficult to stay lean and drink regularly. The only success I ever had was when I abstained from drinking for the entire week-days and then drank moderately (usually) on the weekends. The type of beer we like is so full of calories that two beers a night even pushes close to or over 500 calories. Have a few more on the weekend and you are up over a thousand. The entire week can climb over 5000 calories for the entire week in carbs, which is not a recipe for maintaining a low body fat count. And it gets worse the older you get.

Don't want to be a downer but just thought I'd share my experience. And when I did have a six pack back in my twenties I didn't ever even give it a thought. Was just the way my body was. There is no way I could work hard enough (or cut my beer drinking back enough) to ever have a sixer again. But that's just me - good on you Ryan. Very impressive.

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »
Coming from a guy who has been lifting weights somewhat religiously since I was 18 (and younger if you count school athletics), I can tell you it can be done. But it is difficult to stay lean and drink regularly. The only success I ever had was when I abstained from drinking for the entire week-days and then drank moderately (usually) on the weekends. The type of beer we like is so full of calories that two beers a night even pushes close to or over 500 calories. Have a few more on the weekend and you are up over a thousand. The entire week can climb over 5000 calories for the entire week in carbs, which is not a recipe for maintaining a low body fat count. And it gets worse the older you get.

Don't want to be a downer but just thought I'd share my experience. And when I did have a six pack back in my twenties I didn't ever even give it a thought. Was just the way my body was. There is no way I could work hard enough (or cut my beer drinking back enough) to ever have a sixer again. But that's just me - good on you Ryan. Very impressive.

That is all very true. Fortunately, I'm a giant. I lose weight on 3400 cals a day. LOL.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 02:24:36 am »
Hey Ryan;  welcome back!  You know what I have if you want some. ;)

I will say tho, that first pic is a little creepy.  Headless married dude.

Cheers to the brewing session. 
Hope you did not use US-05, I hear that crap throws a lot of strawberry.  :o

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 05:48:44 pm »
Hey Ryan;  welcome back!  You know what I have if you want some. ;)

I assume you mean CTZ. Mine just won't grow, man. Sterling is going crazy though!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 10:24:42 pm »
I'm so happy you are back my dear friend. I'm sorry about the divorce. I hope you get plenty of time with the girls. I hope you are happy with your life, I know pumping iron helps with the hurt and can drive you. Give me a PM so I can give you a copy of your IPA recipe that is the bomb!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:16 am »
I'm sorry about the divorce.

There's a Louis CK joke about how someone said that him, and he said, "Let me explain something to you; divorce is always good news. I know that sounds weird, but it’s true. No good marriage has ever ended in divorce. It’s really that simple, that’s never happened."
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 06:51:07 am »
1 pound is ~ 3500 calories, not 2000. For a 'reasonable' weight loss regime you should expect ~4-5 pounds per month loss.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
1 pound is ~ 3500 calories, not 2000. For a 'reasonable' weight loss regime you should expect ~4-5 pounds per month loss.

Yep. For most people, losing more than a pound a week is a bad idea. Goodbye, sweet muscle.....

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 11:00:47 am »
1 pound is ~ 3500 calories, not 2000.

Hmmmm.  Would that be one pound of bacon or one pound of tuna steak?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 08:15:06 pm »
New homebrew store doesn't carry white labs. :( Brewing an Anchor Porter clone without Cali V. They have a ton of Denny's yeast though! Was very happy to see that. :) It'll do just fine.