Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NZ hop varieties?  (Read 12335 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: NZ hop varieties?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 12:41:51 pm »
How much was the Nelson?  I was in Northern Brewer in Minnesota last week because hops are a lot cheaper in the US so I was stocking up and I wanted to get some NS but they were $5.50 per ounce compared to $2.50 or less for others.  I skipped them.

Austin Homebrew Supply has Nelson for $1.99/oz (plus flat-rate shipping).

So, I went a little crazy. I picked up the following, and what I'm thinking of making with them:

Motueka - blonde or pale lager?
Pacific Jade - APA?
Rakau - dry-hopped wheat (maybe rye)
Green Bullet - bittering?
Super Alpha - bittering?

And I picked up some more Nelson Sauvin so I can rebrew the Nelson Brut I made last year.

Any suggestions?

I'm really enjoying Motueka right now. I was using Amarillo/Columbus/Ultra as my house combo for my hoppy beers, but I'll be using Motueka in place of Ultra from here on in. It's got a real nice lime zest/lemongrass herbal-citrus thing going on that I'm loving. I think it will be great in a blond, pale lager or a saison.

As far as Rakau goes, I'm still making up my opinion on it. I had a bit of palate fatigue when I tasted it the other night, but it didn't really strike me as anything special. Still, I think you're making the right call with the wheat/rye idea. The cinnamon note I got plus the sweet fruit would probably accentuate a Hopfenweiss-style beer pretty well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »
I'm really enjoying Motueka right now. I was using Amarillo/Columbus/Ultra as my house combo for my hoppy beers, but I'll be using Motueka in place of Ultra from here on in. It's got a real nice lime zest/lemongrass herbal-citrus thing going on that I'm loving. I think it will be great in a blond, pale lager or a saison.

As far as Rakau goes, I'm still making up my opinion on it. I had a bit of palate fatigue when I tasted it the other night, but it didn't really strike me as anything special. Still, I think you're making the right call with the wheat/rye idea. The cinnamon note I got plus the sweet fruit would probably accentuate a Hopfenweiss-style beer pretty well.

Have you ever used Crystal? It sounds a lot like Motueka. Noble with a citrus kick, only with more of an orange marmalade citrus-type character. I got a pound last year and I've worked my way through most of it. I got a pound of Vanguard too, but it's much more restrained and with a typical "noble" profile.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:22 am »
Have you ever used Crystal? It sounds a lot like Motueka. Noble with a citrus kick, only with more of an orange marmalade citrus-type character. I got a pound last year and I've worked my way through most of it. I got a pound of Vanguard too, but it's much more restrained and with a typical "noble" profile.

I haven't tried Crystal yet, but I'll have to add it to my list of hops to try when this year's crop is ready. I really like the complexity that comes from combining noble-type hops with "C"-type hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:01 am »
I haven't tried Crystal yet, but I'll have to add it to my list of hops to try when this year's crop is ready. I really like the complexity that comes from combining noble-type hops with "C"-type hops.

Crystal was one of Hal Aunold's USDA breeding program hops. Crystal, Mt. Hood, Ultra, and Liberty were all Hallertau M.f. hybrids. They did Santiam (Tettnanger / Hallertau hybrid) and Sterling (Saaz) too. BTW I just learned that hops called "US Tettnanger" are actually Fuggles.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:38 pm »
So, I went a little crazy. I picked up the following, and what I'm thinking of making with them:

Motueka - blonde or pale lager?
Pacific Jade - APA?
Rakau - dry-hopped wheat (maybe rye)
Green Bullet - bittering?
Super Alpha - bittering?

And I picked up some more Nelson Sauvin so I can rebrew the Nelson Brut I made last year.

Any suggestions?

I was actually just thinking that Rakau might be nice in a pale lager. It has a rough quality to it that fades over a couple of months to give a nice fruity aroma. I do not the ability to lager, so I was thinking of doing a faux lager this winter with it.

Pacific Jade would make a great APA. I think it blends well with Crystal and Columbus. It also makes a really good rye and amber. I was thinking of making a saison with it soon.
Kyle M.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
NZ hop varieties?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
Here's a good guide from hop union

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/zythos.pdf

I personally don't care for Nelson sauvin, I feel like they impart a weird vinous, tart, almost astringent character.  My buddy did a saison with them exclusively and I thought he had a process flaw.  Bought a sixer of anchor humming, and found out that my buddys process was just fine.  I do like Galaxy quite a bit though.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »
I personally don't care for Nelson sauvin, I feel like they impart a weird vinous, tart, almost astringent character. 

No, that's why they're great. I never got the vinous thing from those hops until I picked up a bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc, and it's really striking how similar they are.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
I had bought a lb of Pacific Jade from NB, and it was very peppery, almost jalapeno like...
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
I personally don't care for Nelson sauvin, I feel like they impart a weird vinous, tart, almost astringent character. 

No, that's why they're great. I never got the vinous thing from those hops until I picked up a bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc, and it's really striking how similar they are.

Yeah, it could be one of those things that its just offensive to my palette personally, because everyone else who had a Humming ale liked it a lot @ my house.  Blech though for now.  I like Sauvignon blanc too. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 03:23:30 am »
Just picked up 4 ounches of 2012 Galaxy and 6 ounces of 2011 Nelson from Nikobrew.  I've never used the Galaxy before but I made a really nice late hopped pale ale with NS last year that was a big hit at a club meeting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:29:53 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:53 am »
Just picked up 4 ounches of 2012 Galaxy and 6 ounces of 2011 Nelson from Nikobrew.  I've never used the Galaxy before but I made a really nice late hopped pale ale with NS last year that was a big hit at a club meeting.

Love Galaxy, almost 2 lbs. in the freezer still... 8) Makes a great single hopped IPA IMO.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:43 am »
Here's a good guide from hop union

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/zythos.pdf

I personally don't care for Nelson sauvin, I feel like they impart a weird vinous, tart, almost astringent character.  My buddy did a saison with them exclusively and I thought he had a process flaw.  Bought a sixer of anchor humming, and found out that my buddys process was just fine.  I do like Galaxy quite a bit though.

I had trouble drinking Alpine Nelson due to the cheap white wine taste. One of my brewing buddies loved it. It is a love it or hate it hop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
I had trouble drinking Alpine Nelson due to the cheap white wine taste. One of my brewing buddies loved it. It is a love it or hate it hop.

Anyone not satisfied with their Nelson is welcome to send them to me. I will properly dispose of them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:41 pm »

Anyone not satisfied with their Nelson is welcome to send them to me. I will properly dispose of them.
I have never bought any, after the first exposure to Alpine Nelson. That was enough for me. Sorry.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22:36 am »
Finally got around to brewing with the Motueka. I did a pale lager, 30% rice, 70% bo-pils. I only did late additions, for about 15 IBU. I think I did a -15min and a flameout addition. 2oz in the kettle, and then 4oz dry-hop for 2 days. It's carbing up right now, so I'll report back in a few days when it's ready. The sample I took at bottling was pretty good, so I have high hopes for this one.