Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NZ hop varieties?  (Read 12332 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
NZ hop varieties?
« on: September 16, 2012, 06:29:48 am »
Nelson Sauvin is the only NZ hop I've used, but I loved it. Are there other NZ hops I should try? I've been reading the descriptions of the varieties, but they're all kinda vague, so I'm looking for some first-hand experience.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: NZ hop varieties?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:12:45 am »
I have some single-hopped Pale Ales bottle conditioning right now that include Nelson, Rakau and Motueka. They're carbing up now, so I'll post my tasting notes in another week or two.

Here are my notes I took on the aroma of the hops themselves:

Rakau (11.4% - from Rebel): grassy, tropical fruit, spice

Motueka (7.2% -from Rebel): herbal/citrus (noble-like with a citrus kick)

Nelson Sauvin (12.1% - from AHS): American/West Coast hop aroma; fruit/citrus with a distinct "white wine" note

I really liked the Motueka, and had a note that I wanted to brew a Pils with it. The descriptors I read said it has a lime or lemon-lime aroma, but I couldn't get that just off the hops - it was just a nondescript "citrus" to me. Maybe more of that character will show up in the finished beer.

I remember being a bit disappointed in the Rakau. I think I was expecting a bombastic Citra/Galaxy aroma when I cracked into the package, but the hops themselves weren't as aromatic as I hoped. I'll reserve judgement until I taste the final product though.

The NZ hop I want to try the most is Riwaka, but I haven't seen it available this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:34:55 am »
I've never used Citra or Galaxy before either. A few years ago I was really into hoppy beers, but I've been doing "continental" styles almost exclusively for the last couple years. I guess I got bored with the "typical" PNW hops, like the Cs, Simcoe, et al.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:38:59 am »
Of the ones I've tried, I think Motueka holds the most promise in continental styles. I'm just not sure how the herbal/spicy vs citrus balance comes out in the finished beer. The Pils I was planning with it will probably be more of an APA/Pils hybrid - Pils malt with a touch of Munich and either fermented with 2112/2124 or Chico in the low 60's.

There are a few NZ hops that look promising for noble-style hops, but I still have a lot of US hybrids that I haven't gotten to yet. I'll probably stick to the fruity stuff unless I see a great sale on something like Pacifica or Southern Cross.
Eric B.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:49:23 am »
Sorry, I left that thought unfinished (busy at work today). I got kinda bored of hop-forward beers, but the Nelson got me interested in making those kinds of beers again. I've been making hop-forward beers again with the Nelson (like APAs and IPAs), so I'm looking for hops with the most "punch" of fruity flavors/aromas, like the Nelson.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »
I made a single hop pale ale with Rakau. I agree with erockrph's assessment of "grassy, tropical fruit, spice". It took me a while to like it. There was a rough quality to it that I didn't quite like, but after a couple of months I started to really enjoy it. There was a stone fruit quality to it that was enjoyable to me.

I also used .25 oz of Rakau in a 3 gallon batch of Patersbier, along with Saaz at the 10 minute mark that was absolutely delicious right away.
Kyle M.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:40:34 pm »
Riwaka is great but will probably not be available in the US again, acreage is limited and the NZ brewers use it.  Yields aren't great, so they're not likely to plant more.

Try Pacific Gem if you can get your hands on some.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:06:59 am »
I just can't get over that "Savory" character that Nelson puts off... I can't put my finger on it, and I don't want to just call it "catty". It's just odd. Same thing I don't care for in some S. Blanc, esp. NZ varieties.

I really like Galaxy. Flat12 Bierworks (a brewery here in Indianapolis) does a single-hop Galaxy pale year-round, and its one of their most popular brews (they call it "Walkabout").
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:55 pm »
I forgot to mention that I really like Pacific Jade as well. It has an herbal, fresh fruit, peppery quality that blends really well with Crystal hops. I made a really good rye ale, and amber ale with the two.
Kyle M.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »
Does anyone have a source they'd recommend for getting these kinds of hops? I've been googling a bit and I've seen a pretty wide range of prices.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:56:33 pm »
In my recent experience, it seems like Rebel Brewer has the best selection of NZ hops right now. But availability is rather limited for many of them, so you're lucky to even find some of these anywhere. I got my Galaxy from Yakima Valley, Motueka and Rakau at Rebel, and Nelson at Austin Homebrew Supply.
Eric B.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »
I make an IPA with:
1 oz Southern Cross to bitter at 60
1/2 oz each of Pacific Gem and Pacific Jade at 10
1/2 oz each of Pacific Gem, P. Jade, Galaxy and Matouka at 5
1/2 oz each of Galaxy and Matouka at 0
I've also dry hopped this with an oz of Galaxy but it depends on inventory and if I remember.
I also use 90% Munich in this to give it a lot of malt to balance the hops.

Very upfront tropical hop flavours.  I really like it but there may not be any need for 4 flavouring hops.  Still, it's a total of 5 oz hops which isn't out of line with lots of US IPA recipes I see.
I also have done a blend of Galaxy and Palisade that is quite good but I really like passion fruity/tropical flavours over the grapefruity hops.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »
Does anyone have a source they'd recommend for getting these kinds of hops? I've been googling a bit and I've seen a pretty wide range of prices.

I buy mine from Northern Brewer and farmhouse brewing supply. I like to buy two 4 oz bags from farmhouse, and test them out. That also gives me really cheap shipping.
Kyle M.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »
So, I went a little crazy. I picked up the following, and what I'm thinking of making with them:

Motueka - blonde or pale lager?
Pacific Jade - APA?
Rakau - dry-hopped wheat (maybe rye)
Green Bullet - bittering?
Super Alpha - bittering?

And I picked up some more Nelson Sauvin so I can rebrew the Nelson Brut I made last year.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:19:57 pm by nateo »

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »
How much was the Nelson?  I was in Northern Brewer in Minnesota last week because hops are a lot cheaper in the US so I was stocking up and I wanted to get some NS but they were $5.50 per ounce compared to $2.50 or less for others.  I skipped them.