Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jumping back into the game  (Read 11532 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Jumping back into the game
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
So I haven't brewed since last thanks giving and it was the second allgrain that turned out for me and the other ones were failures.

So I want repeatability(if that's a word) so I bought a march pump and a blichmann boilermaker with false bottom. I think my plan so far is to direct fire the boilermaker as the mash tun bc I have been using a extreme cooler and missing my temps. I also want to make a stand one level.

So my question is does anyone have guidance for me on my endeavor? I am not a very imaginative person so it's hard to picture a finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: Jumping back into the game
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:46:26 pm »
Honestly, I would focus more on technique than equipment.  You haven't brewed for almost a year, you need to brew a lot more, no matter your equipment.  Technique can only be honed by repetition.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:57 am »
Honestly, I would focus more on technique than equipment.  You haven't brewed for almost a year, you need to brew a lot more, no matter your equipment.  Technique can only be honed by repetition.

^^ This. I use an Extreme and nail my temps every time.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:36:43 am »
I totally agree! Your beer did not turn out because of process, not equipment. Spending a lot of money on equipment will not improve your beer if your brewing procedures are not good.

Remember, a lot of people make some amazing beer with BIAB, almost no equipment involved:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:46:28 am »
You have to use the best procedures on the equipment you have.

A guy in the club won a gold at the NHC on a very basic stove top set up. He consistantly makes great beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:24 am »
The failures weren't the point they were failures bc of things after the brew day. Like a fridge going out, using bad yeast, carboy braking. I normally hit my mark for gravity and such. I only missed once bc I forget to refresh a recipe in the program and it through off my water calcs. I got the boiler maker for ease of cleaning and the pump so I do to lift things constantly.

I was more wondering about how should I arrange everything and such.

Offline Al

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:05 pm »
The failures weren't the point they were failures bc of things after the brew day. Like a fridge going out, using bad yeast, carboy braking. I normally hit my mark for gravity and such. I only missed once bc I forget to refresh a recipe in the program and it through off my water calcs. I got the boiler maker for ease of cleaning and the pump so I do to lift things constantly.

I was more wondering about how should I arrange everything and such.

You could probably Google "one tier" systems, or "two tier" systems and come up with some good links.

Then once you get a system for you gear, concentrate on the same type of sanitation every time you brew. Try and use the same water. Keep good notes on everything until you know you are repeating it every brew. Still keep notes. Pay attention to fermentation environment and try and repeat it every brew (per style).

I use a set of saw horses and gravity for now. A pump is coming soon, but it all works as is. Just get into a routine, I guess would help. I try and do things in the same sequence each time.
Don't panic, it's organic!

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »
Would you think that a bayou classic sp10 be too much for a mash tun burner bc it does put out about 185,000 btu?

Would I be alright using silicon tubing(high heat tolerance) for the piping or should I hard pipe from and to the pump?

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:54:53 pm »
Oh and I know that's the max output but even on low is it too high?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:39:49 am »
Oh and I know that's the max output but even on low is it too high?

High heat tolerant food grade silicon tubing is fine. In fact several people I know use this with quick connects and it makes ofr easy cleaning and maintenance.

Any sort of propane burner will be fine for MLT and kettle although try to find one that operates quietly and efficiently.

But again to reiterate, making good beer is about using best practice, not best equipment. It is true that having a proper set up makes for an easier more efficient brew session so that does help but if your practices and processes are not good, neither will the beer turn out well.

If you listed specific reasons or issues you have been having with your beer we can certainly assist you in determining where improvements can be made:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
So I was looking at sources on the net and I came across a post that said a bayou classic sq14 would be good for a burner for a direct fire mash tun. Any thoughts? It says it has 55,000 btu output. I also found one at menards that is 45,000 btu but it's a brand I have never heard of.

Where can you buy bayou classic. I dont really don't want to buy off of amazon again

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:34 pm »
Most sporting goods stores will carry them: like Academy and Cabelas.

I would order a Blichmann burner so you will have a nice system all tied together with your Blichmann mashtun.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 08:14:14 am »
I have a Bayou Classic that I bought off of Amazon and love it.  Turned my neighbor on to it and he loves it too.  Best price and fast delivery.  Not sure of your hesitation to use Amazon, but I've never had a problem.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
What I recommend is getting a burner with as much surface area( or close too) as the pot you're using as the MT. I would then recommend drilling out the orifice with a 5/32 bit and using a Low Pressure regulator on the propane tank to convert the burner down to put out about 45,000 BTU if the burner is HP. THis gives a nice gentle flame that covers the entire bottom of the pot for consistent heating. You will want a constant re-circulation back to the top of the tun. A piece of silicon tubing connected to a ball valve on top works great, just layed on top of the mash bed.

Also make sure you put a ball valve on the out side of your pump and turn the pump head to be vertical not horizontal, with the outflow UP and the inflow down. I also recommend silicon tubing that you can see through(not the manilla cream stuff) that way you can tell where your clog is if you have one. Also make sure you start re-circing water through everything before dumping your grain in. This gets everything going easily and prevents clogging.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »