Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finding a city  (Read 17468 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Finding a city
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
heh.

Climate change effects as criteria for relocation.
Interesting.

I thought Colorado immune, foolishly,
but this morning started contemplating the avalanche
as a climate change driven killer.

Yep, wildfire and drought right in there as well.

Stick to the east slope.
Caint get any capers over here.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:56 am »
Reviving the thread... For you Coloradans, how necessary is it to go to Denver, from Ft Collins? How worried are you about climate change affecting the area? Wildfires, drought, etc? Being 8 hours from Yellowstone sounds pretty awesome, but of course the Yellowstone Caldera can be cause for concern (?)

I think you would be better served to be more concerned about the end of the Mayan calendar.

If Yellowstone blows, living in Paris won't be safe.  IMHO, if Yellowstone blows, being as close as possible to Yellowstone is probably the best scenario.

Reading wikipedia has made me feel better about that whole thing - the 'real' threat is more in "Hydrothermal explosion hazards" which sound like they would be destructive, but localized (right?).
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2012, 03:18:56 am »
heh.

Interesting.

Stick to the east slope.

Even when we were originally looking into moving inside France, or to the German border, I was trying to find climate change graps/maps to see where would be the 'least affected.' Europe seems to be somewhat 'safer' but only because it's smaller, from what I've read. What's interesting is to see the climate models scientists have put out for Pangea. Because it was one big mass, the center had horrible horrible weather, apparently.
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:58 am »
Since the western slope of CO relies almost entirely on mountain snow melt for its water supply, I think it's wise to take climate change into consideration. I loved living there, but I don't think I could move back, in part because of climate change and wildfires. Also, I think coming from a major European city to CO could be a bit tough. You're sort of on an isolated island. The wilderness is fantastic, but you're gonna have to fly for any decent city experience (sorry Denver, you don't count).

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2012, 08:09:50 am »
Since the western slope of CO relies almost entirely on mountain snow melt for its water supply, I think it's wise to take climate change into consideration. I loved living there, but I don't think I could move back, in part because of climate change and wildfires. Also, I think coming from a major European city to CO could be a bit tough. You're sort of on an isolated island. The wilderness is fantastic, but you're gonna have to fly for any decent city experience (sorry Denver, you don't count).

Sure, but I HATE HATE HATE Paris. That should help a little with the transition perhaps...
----

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2012, 09:17:11 am »
I think you need to take road trip around CO, and visit with the AHA guys who live in each of those places. It's hard to get a feel for a place if you don't have a good tour guide. Who knows, maybe you'd LOVE Grand Junction. Glenwood Springs has gotten pretty hip lately, too.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2012, 09:23:27 am »
heh.

Interesting.

Stick to the east slope.

Even when we were originally looking into moving inside France, or to the German border, I was trying to find climate change graps/maps to see where would be the 'least affected.' Europe seems to be somewhat 'safer' but only because it's smaller, from what I've read. What's interesting is to see the climate models scientists have put out for Pangea. Because it was one big mass, the center had horrible horrible weather, apparently.

Tolkien's maps of the Middle Earth are more accurate than the fantasy maps that you are looking at.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:12 am »
With any luck, you'll die in a car accident or from heart disease before global warming or Yosemite does you in.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:38 am »
I think you need to take road trip around CO, and visit with the AHA guys who live in each of those places. It's hard to get a feel for a place if you don't have a good tour guide. Who knows, maybe you'd LOVE Grand Junction. Glenwood Springs has gotten pretty hip lately, too.

That's a pretty great idea. When we get closer to taking a vacation I'll post a note. Thanks!
----