Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Golden Strong  (Read 13130 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Belgian Golden Strong
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »
What is your favorite yeast for a Belgian Golden Strong Ale and why?

Thanks for your replies.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Belgian Golden Strong
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
WY1388.  Duvel yeast.  For me it pretty much defines the style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Belgian Golden Strong
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »
I've used WLP570. However, it's not just the yeast that will get you there. Ingredients, mash temp, fermentation temp and how you condition the beer has great effect. It's very easy to end up with something more like a full-bodied Tripel than a Golden Strong.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:41 pm »
You can't go wrong with WY1388 or WLP570 (also Duvel). A recent golden strong my brother made turned out quite well with 570, it had a nice fruitiness it that definitely is reminiscent of Duvel. I bottled a golden strong last Tuesday that I fermented with WLP545, which is reportedly from Huyghe (Delirium Tremens, etc.). I haven't tried the final bottled conditioned product, and there seems to be a lot fruit in the aroma (bananas maybe) and some spiciness, which is the yeast character was I shooting for. As for a favorite? I think may stick with WLP545 because I like the ester profile and it seems to ferment well. After two and a half weeks my beer went from 1.085 to 1.008 and finished with (a very smooth) 10.3% ABV.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »
I haven't used WLP545, but White Labs claims it's from the the Ardennes region, which is not where Huyghe is.

I did culture from a bottle of DT once and the result was great.  Of course, when you step up from bottle dregs, YMMV.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59:05 pm »
I haven't used WLP545, but White Labs claims it's from the the Ardennes region, which is not where Huyghe is.

I did culture from a bottle of DT once and the result was great.  Of course, when you step up from bottle dregs, YMMV.

I was looking at the yeast strain guide on Mr Malty ( http://www.mrmalty.com/white-labs.php ) and didn't see WLP545 so I sent an email to Kristen England asking, and the reponse I got was Huyghe. I checked the map and I see what you mean, I'm not sure what to think now.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »
I really like the 1388, works really well for me. But I just brewed a 1 bbl batch using 3522 Ardennes yeast, which I believe is A'chouffe yeast. Curious to see how this one works.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »
What temperature do y'all ferment it at?
Brew on

narvin

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:57 pm »

I was looking at the yeast strain guide on Mr Malty ( http://www.mrmalty.com/white-labs.php ) and didn't see WLP545 so I sent an email to Kristen England asking, and the reponse I got was Huyghe. I checked the map and I see what you mean, I'm not sure what to think now.

Yeah, I don't know... White Labs already has strains sourced from most of the breweries in that region. Could be Caracole... BLAM says they have two different house strains, and given the White Labs description, the stronger one used for Nostradamus is a possibility.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
 :o

I start it around 62-63 and leave it there for a couple weeks.  Then I let it go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:16:21 pm »
:o

I start it around 62-63 and leave it there for a couple weeks.  Then I let it go.
I start mine at 68, let it set for 2-3 days, then raise up 1* a day until it hits 75, and let it ferment out, usually 10-14 days. Once done, I'll chill 10* a day until it hits 34, and let it stay there for a week or so, whenever I feel like bottling.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:17 pm »
WY PC Canadian/Belgian strain. It's restrained with gentle apricot and lemon character. Very very nice yeast for a light colored belgian.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 09:17:23 pm »
WY PC Canadian/Belgian strain. It's restrained with gentle apricot and lemon character. Very very nice yeast for a light colored belgian.

This sounds interesting!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:31:45 am »

Yeah, I don't know... White Labs already has strains sourced from most of the breweries in that region. Could be Caracole... BLAM says they have two different house strains, and given the White Labs description, the stronger one used for Nostradamus is a possibility.

I forgot to mention earlier that the Huyghe identification came with a disclaimer, which was basically that is was more of a best/educated guess rather than a positive ID. I opened a bottle of my beer last night and there is a promininent  banana-like fruitiness to the aroma. It's been a while since I've had a bottle of Delirium, or Caracole, so I can't quite recall their yeast characters very well.

That does sound really good.

As for temp, I started around 68*, though the first night it crept up to 73* while I slept before I got the temp down again the next morning. After that it was a fairly constant 68*.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:24 am »
I'd let it rip once it starts on the downslope of fermentation.

According to BLAM Duvel "ripens" in the bottle at warm temps for about six weeks IIRC.