Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Faucet and line maintenance schedule  (Read 9023 times)

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
Faucet and line maintenance schedule
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
What do you guys do to maintain your draft systems?  BLC after every keg?  How often do you take apart and clean the faucets?  I've had my kegerator for 4 or 5 months now and am wondering how best to take care of it.

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
Re: Faucet and line maintenance schedule
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:56 pm »
I clean mine every couple kegs or once a month. I take the faucet apart every time I clean lines. It is quick and easy to do.
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:03:57 am »
I clean the lines every couple of three months or so. I only take the taps apart every 6 months or so.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:31 am »
My draft tower has 6 Ventmatics. I take the faucets apart . . let's see . . once every . . . . well . . once. That was after being in service for two years. I found them clean as a pin and did it primarily to check the seals. I do flush the lines/ faucets after every two kegs with a hot solution of Oxi-Clean and let it stand in the lines for about 15 minutes. I follow that with a hot flush of water. then a flush of BLC, let stand for 10 minutes, then a thorough cold flush of water. Whole process takes about 30 minutes.(for all 6) I use a 3 gallon cornie for my solutions and water and a small pancake air compressor I picked up from Harbor Freight for $38.00 with braided gas line hose, a quick connect on one end, and a ball lock "Gas In" connector on the other to push it.

Works for me!  8)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:09:47 am by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 09:59:25 am »
I use hot BLC, rinse, and then StarSan with a 3 gallon corny and CO2. Do you find the BLC removes stuff after the OxiClean?
Brew on

Offline dennis5280

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:05:15 am »
I use hot BLC, rinse, and then StarSan

+1 every 2 or 3 kegs or couple of months. With Ventmatics I've only taken apart once to clean and that was after I took a few months off of brewing.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:28:26 pm »
I use hot BLC, rinse, and then StarSan with a 3 gallon corny and CO2. Do you find the BLC removes stuff after the OxiClean?

Not really . . I just want to make sure to get all the detergent out of the system . . perhaps over kill, but I'm known to do that on occasion!  ;D
Just brew it...

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:24:16 pm »
I run hot water and PBW through the lines after every keg.  About twice a year I'll give the lines and faucets a hot water and BLC cleaning.  I sanitize lines with Idaphor solution after rinsing.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:02 pm »
I run Iodophor through the lines and faucets after each keg but have yet to take apart the faucets (forward seal perlicks). I haven't run into any problems yet (but I've only had my kegerator up and running for about a year).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »
I flush mine with a water-alcohol solution usually in the 3.5% - 7% range pretty much on a daily basis.

Other than that I break them down for a good scrubbing when I detect funkiness. About every 6 months or so.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:35:22 pm »
I flush mine with a water-alcohol solution usually in the 3.5% - 7% range pretty much on a daily basis.

:D
Just brew it...

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:08:51 pm »
I clean the lines every couple of three months or so. I only take the taps apart every 6 months or so.
I do about the same. I've replaced the lines once so far in the ~3.5 years I've been kegging.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:21:54 pm »
Man, you guys make me feel like a clean freak.  I break down faucets and connects, plus flush lines with sanitizer after every keg.

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 02:54:37 pm »
Every time I change a keg, I clean the line and the faucet.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »
Man, you guys make me feel like a clean freak.  I break down faucets and connects, plus flush lines with sanitizer after every keg.

virtually everything I do is a 10gals, so I clean after every other keg.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281