Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FWH question  (Read 13131 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
FWH question
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:28 am »
Just exactly what does First Wort Hopping do? Does it add a tad bit of hop flavor to the beer?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: FWH question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:44:14 am »
What is claimed is that it adds some flavour and a softer bitterness, although with a higher IBU in comparison with a 60 minute addition.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
Can also help with boilovers.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:47 am »
What is claimed is that it adds some flavour and a softer bitterness, although with a higher IBU in comparison with a 60 minute addition.

What he said. Some references say that you can estimate FWH by assuming its a 60 min addition plus a 20 min addition in one dose.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:51:42 am »
I tried it for the first time last month and brewed a very nice pale ale with all cascades. I'll definitely do more of it in the future. Like Mort said, it softens the bittering effect.

Bruce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:48 am »

What he said. Some references say that you can estimate FWH by assuming its a 60 min addition plus a 20 min addition in one dose.

Agreed - to a point. IME FWH utilize small amounts of hops more efficiently because you can extract 15 min addition-type flavor from a bittering hop. But you cant just move all your flavoring additions to FWH.

I use FWH mostly to reduce total hop mass in the kettle without sacrificing bitterness or flavor. I've changed my IPA recipes, taking a portion of my higher alpha hops from the 15-20 min addition and adding to FWH, normally in place of the 60 min addition. I'll use a small amount of super high alpha hops at 60 min if I can't get the desired IBU with 1/2-1/3 of the flavoring hops as FWH.

Do a side-by-side with a Pale/IPA. You can never have enough of it around the house anyway.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:00 am »

I count is as a 20 min,. addition because that what it seems like to me in terms of flavor and bittering.  Although it actually measures as more IBU when the beer is analyzed, it tastes like less.  Since we generally taste our beer rather than measure it, that works for me.  I did an experiment with FWH and the results are here starting on pg. 29...

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:36:31 am »
I am going to do the recipe of the week this Sunday. The Brown Eye Women. I think I will do the FWH thing. After reading Denny's research on it I don't see where it will change the recipe much if any. But it will avoid the boil over thing and possibly give me a bit of flavor from the hops.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:24 am »
But it will avoid the boil over thing

I haven't found that to be the case.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:55 am »
But it will avoid the boil over thing

I haven't found that to be the case.

yeah - on my keg kettle system, it actually makes things a bit more tentative, since I usually am filled darn close to the brim with wort - a layer of hops on top usually puts it almost over the edge.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »
When you do this do you leave the hops in for 60 min.? Or take them out when you reach a boil?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »
When you do this do you leave the hops in for 60 min.? Or take them out when you reach a boil?

they stay in the whole time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »
I count is as a 20 min,. addition because that what it seems like to me in terms of flavor and bittering.

Bear with me as I can be a bit dense, but are you saying that if you want to FWH a recipe that has only a 60-min addition, you can take the total IBUs and break them into a 60 minute charge and a 20 minute charge that ends up with the same IBUs?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:30 pm »
I count is as a 20 min,. addition because that what it seems like to me in terms of flavor and bittering.

Bear with me as I can be a bit dense, but are you saying that if you want to FWH a recipe that has only a 60-min addition, you can take the total IBUs and break them into a 60 minute charge and a 20 minute charge that ends up with the same IBUs?

i dont think so.  when you design a recipe using FWH you estimate the ibu from that addition as though it were a 20 minute addition
Don AHA member

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »
Beersmith has a FWH option when you are filling in your hop additions. I assume the math I need is all figured into that.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS