Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What the scheiße do gas stoves need 15A for?!  (Read 10799 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
What the scheiße do gas stoves need 15A for?!
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »
http://www.lg.com/us/ranges-ovens/lg-LDG3017ST-gas-range

Infra red burner system okay, so electric stuff in there.

http://www.lg.com/us/ranges-ovens/lg-LDG3016ST-gas-range/technical-specifications

No such thing, all gas, and it's still 13.75 amps and 1.3kW?  WHAT?

Some of these are 5 amps.

FIVE.  AMPS.

What the living hell do you need to draw five AMPS of current for?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What the scheiße do gas stoves need 15A for?!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »
That must be one hell of a fan for the convection oven...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:15:02 pm »
That must be one hell of a fan for the convection oven...

You know, it's funny, I asked the LG technician (online chat) what I need 13.75A for, he said "Well it does have a convection fan that runs..."

I think after I put the tile floor in I'm going to buy one of these.  I'll have to look at making that last few inches wood grounding for the anti-tip bracket in the oven area.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:33:52 am »
I would assume you need at least 10A (short durations) for the electronic starter element in the oven.  Also keep in mind that 15A is a pretty baseline circuit in most areas.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:33 am »
The clock. ;)

I would assume you need at least 10A (short durations) for the electronic starter element in the oven.  Also keep in mind that 15A is a pretty baseline circuit in most areas.

Paul

I think this is also a prime factor.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »
Thanks Euge!

I needed that chuckle.   ;D

Paul

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:50:44 am »
Code usually requires a separate circuit for each appliance.  15A is the minimum residential.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:52 am »
Heh I just can't find actual power consumption or explanations.  10 amps to spark gas?  That's arc weld territory.  A piezo should be able to ignite NG and LP, a 10 amp spark is huge.

13.75A consumption for very short durations isn't a problem.  I just don't want a huge freaking electric bill for something that's supposed to burn gas.  And yeah, it needs its own 15 amp circuit for it plus the fume hood, not a 20A or 30A with the dishwasher; but the dishwasher and refrigerator are, to code, allowed on the same circuit--the kitchen must have its own general circuit, but also must have a separate circuit for the stove, and both circuits must be 100% GFCI.  /not an electrician

If it's just for spark, this won't eat much energy.

I'm being told to just drill into the tile floor because "put a piece of wood for the last 4 inches will make the floor weak behind the oven."  Also, alternately, just to not use the anti-tip bracket because "the oven isn't going to tip over."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:16:35 am »
I installed an oven when doing general construction and installed the plate as well. It was a real PITA but since it was a rental property I figured my boss needed the extra protection. Remember thinking what kind of moron manages to tip their stove over, but since working in the medical field I know. Children have no self governance or foresight and the climbing little monsters routinely tip televisions over on top of themselves not to mention dressers and bookshelves and the like.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:03:40 pm »
Children have no self governance or foresight and the climbing little monsters routinely tip televisions over on top of themselves not to mention dressers and bookshelves and the like.

Climbing?

On top a stove?

Why in the hell would you stand on top of an area that, at a moment's notice, can emit FIRE?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »
Children have no self governance or foresight and the climbing little monsters routinely tip televisions over on top of themselves not to mention dressers and bookshelves and the like.

Climbing?

On top a stove?

Why in the hell would you stand on top of an area that, at a moment's notice, can emit FIRE?

No forethought, lack of knowledge, poor impulse control. These are some of the defining chracteristics of young children.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »
"Safety" features aren't intended for reasonable adults. As a society, we've decided it's better to slightly inconvenience the able-witted to protect the lives of children, the mentally-handicapped, the stupid, and stupid mentally-handicapped children.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »
The dumber you are, the easier it is for a crooked lawyer to ride your stupidity all the way to the bank...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »
Motor start up, appliance amps are usually given at max at start up not the actual running. Makes alot of sense if you actually think about why they recommend 15 amps the max ever used not continual usage. Use you intelligence.

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:22:33 am »
Gas stoves (i.e. the burners on top) generally use sparkers to light.  The oven uses a contained heating element that get hot enough to ignite the fuel.  The gas isn't released until the element is well into the "red hot" zone.  The appliance doesn't continuously (or ever hopefully) draw 10A but the older the elelment, the more current it takes to get hot.  Worst case it can be quite a draw. 

As for why you would worry about tipping over a stove?  Have you or buddies ever gotten blasted and did something stupid?  Most of us have and we learned from our mistakes.  Those who didn't learn, may they rest in peace.  An entire industry exists to protect us from ourselves.  Remember "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."  You can't trust others to think like you do.  It's better to be safe than story.

Paul