Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mosaic Hops?  (Read 16033 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Mosaic Hops?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 08:15:52 am »
Based on this, last night I brewed a 2.5-gallon 15-minute all-Mosaic APA (3 lbs DME, 8 oz 60L, Safale 05, with kettle hop additions of 1/1/.5 oz at 15/5/0). When people talk about fruit fragrance in hops I usually have no idea what they are talking about. With this hop, perhaps it was the power of suggestion but I definitely picked up blueberry in the hydrometer. If the hydrometer sample is any indication, this is going to be seriously tasty.

I haven't brewed an extract batch in a while, and I have to say it was nice to start a brew while I was preparing dinner and have it in the fermenter by the time I was filling the dishwasher! Plus I tried a hop I was curious about rather than hewing with ingredients I know I like.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Mosaic Hops?
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:51 am »
Based on this, last night I brewed a 2.5-gallon 15-minute all-Mosaic APA (3 lbs DME, 8 oz 60L, Safale 05, with kettle hop additions of 1/1/.5 oz at 15/5/0). When people talk about fruit fragrance in hops I usually have no idea what they are talking about. With this hop, perhaps it was the power of suggestion but I definitely picked up blueberry in the hydrometer. If the hydrometer sample is any indication, this is going to be seriously tasty.

I haven't brewed an extract batch in a while, and I have to say it was nice to start a brew while I was preparing dinner and have it in the fermenter by the time I was filling the dishwasher! Plus I tried a hop I was curious about rather than hewing with ingredients I know I like.

I feel the same way about it. If someone had not said it has some blueberry in the taste and smell, then I am not sure I would have interpreted it that way. But now, when I taste the couple of brews I have made with it, I definitely can taste some blueberry.

Also, always nice the crank out an extract batch. Just feels good to complete something so quickly.
Kyle M.