Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 9784 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Smokers
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:11:06 am »
I'm probably late to the party with this - but check out this thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
Gonna build one - cheap,  easy, 16 hour unattended burns. Scouring craigslist for a weber kettle now...(need the lid),
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:13:00 am by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:09 pm »
I don't have the patience to wallow through that thread.

Are there any pics?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »
Pics it is...

There's bling-y modified ones too throughout the thread.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:46:29 pm by beerocd »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »
Wow! Thanks.

That's a lot of smokin going on!

I'll hit that thread again.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »
Oh yeah. Man those are awesome. I was at a party in Texas once and that is how the caterer BBQ'd.

There were all of these hooks in there and and they hanged the meat. Then hot coals with wet wood on top. Very strong smoke flavor though.

Im more of a cold wisps of smoke kind a guy. The smoking I have done recently was done in a cardboard box over a hot plate and pie tin of wood. Works great for ribs, then finish on the grill. Or just cold smoke some fish. 
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
What really has me interested in this is a guy on there is throwing a 20lb shank in there overnight, and swears it tastes just like whole hog spit roasted. The fat vaporizes on the coals below and seasons the meat some more. And two round grates to hold the meat seems to be the more popular method vs hanging it. They have been adapted by some for cold smoke too. Those guys with bbq are just as nuts as us with beer; Valves, stainless, fans, wheels, carts, exhaust stacks etc.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »
I'm a cold smoke and hot smoke sort of cook now.  Love them both!  Cap and others convinced me over to the cold side.

Cold smoking and grilling ribs, however, is just short of heresy (heresy would be boiling them first).

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:35 pm »
What?!

You've never rolled up a rack of ribs, popped them in the pressure-cooker for 5 minutes then threw them on the grill?

BTW works great.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »
What do you guys think of this. Im building a giant smoker grill. It is for the building where my shop is. Its gonna go in an open courtyard of the commercial complex.

I am going to make it out of found objects. In the court yard just laying there is an old 250 gallon oil tank and a 54 Chevy four door. I want to make it out of the Chevy, making the grill under the hood and the smoking chamber in the passenger compartment but I dont think I can get the owner of the car to go along. He claims he is going to fix it up.

So, no doubt it will be the oil tank. I am thinking that I can cut it open and build a fire in it for a few days to burn it to bare metal, removing all of the paint and residual oil. Thats my question, will I be able to remove the toxicity by burning? The tank seems pretty new and the word is that it was only used to store a water soluble machine oil used on horse hair packaging machines. (The very machines that pack horse hair that will be used to make the brushes for "curling" that weird Olimpic game.) Still dont want to take any chances.

Anybody ever convert a used oil tank?

The paln is to make the oil tank on legs for a grill/smoking chamber and use a small air compressor tank as the off set fire box.
In fact the air compressor tank would be attached via a 5" schedule 40 pipe.  The pipe would go up and down and up again to create some surface area for heat diffusion. 

It will be on its own concrete slab and will have a roof of corrugated galvanized steel.

So far have all the stuff but the concrete, all found objects.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:51:41 pm »
Sounds like alot of work but you asked for it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4669396_diesel-fuel-oil-storage-tank.html
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:42:23 pm »
Thats interesting, dont think Ill have to go that far. It is already filled with water and Im just going to cut it up with the torch.

I didnt get much in a search yet except for the forum that beerocd posted above and this discussion. http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/lofiversion/index.php/t5691.html.

Im thinking a huge fire will get rid of everything.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »
There are plenty of food grade barrels around, at least I gather...I don't know.  Whatever you do, get that fire very hot, if you do decide to use the oil drum.  I can't vouch for its safety but I can't declare it unsafe either!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »
I've been looking for stainless steel drums on Craig's list and haven't found anything. New they're like $150?

Anyway I was at Lowes and Home Depot looking at the inexpensive Brinkman smokers and wasn't very happy with what I saw.

So I bought a 31 gallon galvanized can with a tight-fitting lid, a grate and some machine screws. Haven't put anything together yet because I have some concerns. For example, how big to drill the air inlet holes and how much charcoal to use so I don't have to lift anything out till it's done. Maybe My money back and a Weber Smoky Mountain would be better. Just balking at the $300.

Another concern/desire is I want to load it up and walk away for at least three hours. My current fabbed up smoker can have some wild swings and I have to tend to it frequently.  :P

This formed the basis for my current smoker. Riveted flashing to help seal up the bottom and surgical towels to seal the lid. Tonight I redid the gaps with foil snakes and it's pretty tight now. Hmmm we'll see...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »
I wouldn't use galvanized steel for grilling...the coating will generate toxic fumes when heated.

Check out the MSDS!

http://www.atlassupplycorp.com/Content/Links/msds/galvanized.pdf
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:49:18 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 09:58:13 pm »
Thats my question, will I be able to remove the toxicity by burning? The tank seems pretty new and the word is that it was only used to store a water soluble machine oil used on horse hair packaging machines. (
Anybody ever convert a used oil tank?
The paln is to make the oil tank on legs for a grill/smoking chamber and use a small air compressor tank as the off set fire box.
In fact the air compressor tank would be attached via a 5" schedule 40 pipe.  The pipe would go up and down and up again to create some surface area for heat diffusion. 

I know you don't like computers but - a simple 10 dollar fan could probably replace your compressor. Yeah, you probably want to get all Rube Goldberg and 5H!T, but just sayin.....
And well, water soluble - power wash it, then burn the snot out of it, get a spray bottle of oil and spray the whole thing while it's hot and you're good to go. Lotta guys don't even paint theirs, just keep it coated with oil. black is black.