Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: current probleim  (Read 2244 times)

Offline bugbeer

• 1st Kit
current probleim
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »
im currently making a brew that requires alot of grain, thr problem is while steeping the grain has absorbed a bumch of water. Should i add more water or is there an easier way to recover the water from the grain bag

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: current probleim
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »
im currently making a brew that requires alot of grain, thr problem is while steeping the grain has absorbed a bumch of water. Should i add more water or is there an easier way to recover the water from the grain bag

Adding more water is fine - you can usually figure each pound of grain will absorb slighly over one-tenth of a gallon of water.  You don't want to squeeze the grain bag as there's a concern that you could force unwanted thingies (ie. tannins) out of the grain and into your brew.
Joe

Offline bugbeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 06:44:17 pm »
thanks for the info we are still new to brewing and freak out over certain things

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
Make sure you rinse with plenty of warm water (<160) water over your grain bag. I found that when I was using grains in a bag a larger bag for plenty of room for the grain to get wet and a large colander for rinsing worked best.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties