Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Solid Gold  (Read 3303 times)

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Solid Gold
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
So I had this tasty brew at Founders the other day called Solid Gold.
Rather my WIFE had a pint of it and I just tasted it because there was no way I was going to drink that when they had their Harvest Ale on tap - wet hopped goodness! Drank what I could and let somebody else drive home.

Anyway, I want to brew something like it but didn't get a chance to chat with any knowledgeable folks at Founders at the time because the place was bombed with people.

So far here's my ideas.

• OG in the low to mid 50's
  • Pale malt 2 row or Pils base
  • A small amount of Munich like maybe 5% or possibly Vienna
  • IBU around 25 maybe 30 using noble hops or perhaps Willamette or NB or Mt Hood
  • Neutral ale yeast or lager?
  • Water......was thinking of blending my super hard tap with Distilled 1 to 4 ratio respectively
  • Mash around 148 to 150 or so

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on a good Gold recipe? What is "Gold" anyway, like a Dortmunder maybe with Ale yeast or a Blonde Ale typically? There is no BJCP description I can find.

TIA!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Solid Gold
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »
nothing on their website about the solid gold. but a quick google turns up rateing of Founders Solid Gold extra pale ale. so 2 row base maybe nothing else. maybe a dash of munich or vienna. neutral yeast. at least that's how I would approach it having never tasted the beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:11 am »
didn't get a chance to chat with any knowledgeable folks at Founders at the time because the place was bombed with people.

Unless you go mid week, mid-day, it's gotten pretty ridiculous trying to find a seat. I get in there on the regular, if I get a chance I'll pick a brain or 2 for you.

Did you try the oatmeal stout on nitro?
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
didn't get a chance to chat with any knowledgeable folks at Founders at the time because the place was bombed with people.

Unless you go mid week, mid-day, it's gotten pretty ridiculous trying to find a seat. I get in there on the regular, if I get a chance I'll pick a brain or 2 for you.

Did you try the oatmeal stout on nitro?

That would be so cool....I would really appreciate it if you have a chance and remember to ask.
Thank You.

I did not try the Oatmeal stout on nitro, but my father in law had two pints of it and LOVED IT.
He asked about the foam and said it reminded him of Guiness in the can. I did some explaining.
We discussed the merits of beer gas. In particular less bloating feeling and less burps plus great mouth-feel.
I have been debating getting the right regulator, tank, and a special faucet for my kegerator for some time now because I really like it and it's great for other styles besides stout. Boddingtons comes to mind.

I'd like to clone that Gold eventually but I have a Bopils fermenting right now and as soon as the fermentation chamber is free, I'm brewing up another IPA charged with my homegrown Cascade and Centennial blend. My current keg is getting light and will cough any day now.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:57 am »
My first pint every time I go to the tap room is a nitro stout, then I dive into something new or hoppy. I've never had the solid gold, but  I have seen reference of it as an english pale ale, however.

Next time you get to GR, try Perrin Brewing Co over in Comstock. Very impressive so far. They snagged Nate Walser, who was one of the original brewers at Founders and was behind a lot of their beers. He's doing good things at Perrin. They are close to having the bottling and canning lines going, so it's taproom only at the moment, but well worth the trip. The Kona Brown is the best coffee beer I've had to date. IPA's are all excellent. Great RIS. And you can usually find a seat!
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa