Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg poppets  (Read 6928 times)

Offline tom2001d

• 1st Kit
Keg poppets
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:40:54 pm »
I bought a corney keg from my local brew shop and was told to remove the poppets to clean them. I had a heck of a time getting them out and bent one of them slightly. Now when I take the gas line off of the keg it takes a second for the poppet to seal itself. My questions are who removes the poppets to clean them and what is the best say to get them out?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Keg poppets
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:31 pm »
I remove them but it's easy on my kegs, they just pop right out when I pull the...stem? connector? my vocabularly engine has just stalled out... post! yeah that's it post!

THere are a couple different styles of poppit/post configurations though so my experience is probably not applicable to your situation
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »
I do and I use a small screwdriver ( from a PC tool kit ) to help move the "feet" but not too hard.  Sometimes they just need a little nudge. 

I only take them out when I do a full cleaning and gasket replace...maybe once or twice a year.  Otherwise I just run cleaner through them with my keg washer.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:54:04 pm »
I do and I use a small screwdriver ( from a PC tool kit ) to help move the "feet" but not too hard.  Sometimes they just need a little nudge. 

I only take them out when I do a full cleaning and gasket replace...maybe once or twice a year.  Otherwise I just run cleaner through them with my keg washer.

This ^^^^^^^^
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »
Most of mine come right out when you pull the post.  Some require a little persuasion, which can be just rapping the post down onto a counter top.

If you ever have to replace poppets, you should check out universal poppets.

Last time I got my tanks refilled the guy at the shop was singing the praises of the universal poppet.  They distribute their own soda mix, and he said that the universal poppets have eliminated lots of maintenance with their kegs.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »
Mine almost always just fall right out with a couple of gentle taps.  I do have one frankenkeg though that I've tried multiple types of poppets in with no success.  I've been thinking of trying the universal poppets in it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tom2001d

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:08:05 am »
Thanks for your replies. I am going to replace the poppet I bent with the universal poppet.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »
I have about 3 of the universals in use, and one in reserve, just in case.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:33 am »
I try and take them out each time as well. Even when running cleaner and sanitizer through them under pressure then taking them out I've found residuals in them.

Some of the ones that are really tight just need the feet squeezed together a bit to come out more easily. Most if not all sit on top of the dip tubes when snug, so no reason they need to be jammed up into the post itself.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:46 am »
I've yet to take the liquid poppet out since I run BLC through, but I'm pretty new at this.  I tried once, but it was pretty difficult since I didn't have the right tools for the job, so I gave up.  You shouldn't need to take the gas side out, should you?
Trey W.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
I've yet to take the liquid poppet out since I run BLC through, but I'm pretty new at this.  I tried once, but it was pretty difficult since I didn't have the right tools for the job, so I gave up.  You shouldn't need to take the gas side out, should you?

things can get kinda gross in there, even the gas side. I run PBW through it each time I clean the keg but every few times I take everything apart, run a dip tube brush through the tubes, soak everything in PBW and make sure the gunk is gone. I also like to do this with the cobra/picnic taps every once in a while.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:34:00 am »
When I do a breakdown of the kegs, the posts and poppets get boiled to kill any nasties. The dip tube get the brush treatment.

Just as an aside, I cleaned up 3 kegs that I got recently from the LHBS, which had a lot of kegs come in. One had a hard to identify blue liquid, one had a red liquid that smelled like red pop, and the third a yellow fluid that smelled like old Mountain Dew - and not in a good way. These kegs all got broken down, cleaned, posts boiled, and the o-rings replaced.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »
My issue is getting the lids to seal properly.  I even have the extra thick o-rings from William's brewing as well.  Argh!
Oh, I guess I do have "IN" side sealing issues too.  If the disconnect isn't on there right, I can hear a hiss.  I want to get some brand new kegs.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »
Brand new kegs are pricey!

If you don't already do this, I've found that an initial 30 lbs of pressure will usually seat the lids just fine.  If you're carbing at serving temp you can back the pressure down after you seat the lids.

I have a few posts that don't like to re-seat when I take the gas off, even with new poppets.  These are candidates for the universal poppet next time I get around to it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »
Brand new kegs are pricey!

If you don't already do this, I've found that an initial 30 lbs of pressure will usually seat the lids just fine.  If you're carbing at serving temp you can back the pressure down after you seat the lids.

I have a few posts that don't like to re-seat when I take the gas off, even with new poppets.  These are candidates for the universal poppet next time I get around to it.
Yeah they are expensive, but they're brand new and never been used and will last forever.  I do seal the keg with 30 PSI every time though. 
Jesse