Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy Magazine?  (Read 34180 times)

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
Re: Zymurgy Magazine?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:32 pm »
I didn't receive mine so I e-mailed them yesterday and their mailing out another copy.
I also did not receive my copy of BYO and that was supposedly mailed out in early February.
With two magazines missing I'm wondering if someone in the post office is learning how to brew on my dime.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »
I didn't receive mine so I e-mailed them yesterday and their mailing out another copy.
I also did not receive my copy of BYO and that was supposedly mailed out in early February.
With two magazines missing I'm wondering if someone in the post office is learning how to brew on my dime.

Whatever helps grow the membership base  :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »
That's funny but my wife thinks I sacrifice enough for the cause already  ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:40 pm »
Got it yesterday!
Ron Price

Offline mthogan1997

• Cellarman
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
I haven't gotten the last 2 issues of zymurgy - really glad I renewed my membership last June for 3 years :'(.

I've emailed everyone and their brother on the contact page and have gotten a grand total of 0 responses. I do get BYO, so at least a little beer reading is coming my way.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
Leaving the whole question of Copyright and Intellectual Property out of the conversation, there are some features that would be nice to have in a digital version of the magazine. 

The first one that comes to mind is "Import this recipe into BeerSmith" or whichever brewing software packages AHA chooses to support.  It might just drive a compatible file format standard between packages.

A second is Online discussion about a particular article, preferably with the author/s involved, directly linked to the story.

Automatic links to corrections if they're necessary.

I'm sure there are many, many others.

My $.02 worth.  Love the magazine, where ever I get to read it.   ;)
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline stevej

• 1st Kit
    • State of Franklin Homebrewers
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
I'm just going to toss out some thoughts on this.

Having the entire collection of Zymurgy available electronically would be fantastic! It would all be searchable, indexable, and could all be crossreferenced. Want a list of all the articles on Belgian Beer? Just a simple search would do that. How about wanting a list of everything on water chemistry? I wouldn't want to read a fixed index of everything to go thru and pick out articles on water, but a simple search would do that, too. Keep it all online in a members-only area, but also give the option of receiving a printed copy.

The benefit of the online area would be access to issues from past years when you were not a member, which would be offset by the lower cost of not printing and mailing a hardcopy to them. You could even separate them into years, and only give access to members who were members during that year. More setup, more maintenance, but once access for a year is set up it doesn't change. Maybe even sell access to years to folks who weren't members during that year. There's a possibility for more revenue generation.

But I am not a member of the AHA just to get a magazine, or to get discounts on NHComp entries, or discounts on NHConf registration, or pub discounts, or to receive techtalk, or any of the other tangible benefits.

I am a  member of the AHA because they are the prime advocate for the hobby that I love and an organization that I believe in. It isn't what I personally gain from membership ... it is that the organization exists to look out for my right to brew my own beer. That in itself is enough reason to be a member. But I know that most people need some tangible benefit in order to belong to an organization. They don't exist to make money for any individual or corporation ... they exist to ensure the survival of the hobby. And it takes money to do that.

Steve Jones
State of Franklin Homebrewers
Johnson City, TN

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2010, 08:00:53 pm »
+100 to Steve's post.  There are quite a few good ideas in there.  Maybe just have all of the articles online in html format instead of emailing out PDF copies.  Sure you could still copy and paste a particular article and send to a friend but it wouldn't be the same as having a pdf of the whole magazine to just forward along.  The idea of maybe a one time fee to access all of the articles from the beginning of the publication is also a great idea, both from a revenue generation and member benefit perspective.

Definitely still some challenges and costs to implementing but more good ideas.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:56 am »
A second is Online discussion about a particular article, preferably with the author/s involved, directly linked to the story.

Something like this is already in the pipeline.  We will open a "Members Only" section of the website for AHA members, and it will feature an "Ask the Experts" forum.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:21 pm »
-- double post --
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:25:15 pm by Kaiser »

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
Something like this is already in the pipeline.  We will open a "Members Only" section of the website for AHA members, and it will feature an "Ask the Experts" forum.

Oh Great. I thought that I would be safe from questions when writing for a print magazine ;D

But in all seriousness. This is a good idea. In the past I just opened a thread on any of the forums if I feel I wanted to discuss an article further.

Kai
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:23:17 pm by Kaiser »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:07 pm »

Something like this is already in the pipeline.  We will open a "Members Only" section of the website for AHA members, and it will feature an "Ask the Experts" forum.

Any more details?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 02:59:19 pm »
Any more details?

Not really at this point.  We're working on the technical issues involved and looking at ideas that might get things underway ASAP.  As soo as there's a plan, we'll let everybody know!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 02:48:53 pm »
Oh Where Oh Where could my Zymurgy Be?  Oh Where Oh where can it be?

Still haven't received it...emailed them today though. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline caphector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 01:16:35 pm »
I'd like to throw my two cents in.

Firstly, while a paper magazine is great and fun to read, when I'm searching for info I like being able to do a text search. Someone mentioned Cook's Illustrated earlier; I buy and read the magazine intermittently, but their site is the first place I go when searching for cooking info. Why? Because they have loads of info online, both full articles and recipes. I like having their entire archives at my fingertips, being able to read stuff from long before I'd been aware of the magazine.

I've been considering joining AHA (pretty much sold at this point), but if there was a historical archive of Zymurgy available (Complete would be awesome, partial a tad less so) the I'd've been sold.

I also want to say that I'd still want a paper copy; I'd just want the PDF or online version for easy searching.