Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA time  (Read 7041 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: IPA time
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »
You would want to keep any sugar additions below 10% of the fermentables. I don't if others would recommend this but it seemed to work well for me.

That sounds about right to me. I'd say the 5-10% range is the right ballpark for a beer like this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will be piecing together the recipe based on everyone's feedback and suggestions.

Thanks again.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline nephils

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

Two quick questions.

Sugar (table sugar) sub.  If I am using 8 lbs of dry extract...how much should I sub with sugar?

In regards to first wort hopping with extract.  Would I just steep the hops while I steep the crystal?  Or do I hop it until roughly 160 degrees? All I know about first wort hopping is done with all grain.  Sorry for the noob question. 

hmmmm...never used gypsum.  I will be using regular old tap water (it is actually really good based on the report), so I will do some research on gypsum and figure out how to utilize it in this recipe.

Thanks.

I just went through the same process as you...I read your other thread about your first batch and I had a similar experience with my first batch.  I also moved on to my next batch and it is based on the Pliny the Elder (IIPA) Extract recipe.  I ended up going with all light DME (9.5lbs) and 6oz of Crystal 40L as the steeping grain.  I put all of the Crystal in the muslin bag along with 2oz of Cascade pellets and steeped at ~160-168F for about 30 min.  Then once I got the wort up to boil I added 2oz of Magnum. 

I have very little experience and was unsure about this too so I asked the owners of my local homebrew supply and they suggested adding the mash hops to the steeping grain bag...even if they are pellets.  I'm currently on my last dry hop addition and will be bottling on Monday...but all I can say it tastes amazing so far!  Look forward to hearing how yours comes out!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »
There is a difference between FWH and Mash hopping. First wort hopping is when you add hops to the first runnings, and let them sit in there through the whole boil.

Mash hopping is where you add the hops to the mash, and they don't go into the boil. AFAIK, no one thinks mash hopping is good for anything better than wasting hops.

If I were to do FWH with an extract batch, I would add the hops to the wort after you pull the steeping grains. If you are adding the steeping water to a larger volume (full boil or so), wait until the whole boil volume gets up to 165-170 or so and then add hops.