Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody ever heard of Summit Kegerators?  (Read 6266 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Anybody ever heard of Summit Kegerators?
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »
Well? Have ya?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Anybody ever heard of Summit Kegerators?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »
Glad we got that out of the way.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
Are they any good? Would one be worth $200 more than a magic chef? Is the beverage factory a repudable dealer?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »
Are they any good? Would one be worth $200 more than a magic chef? Is the beverage factory a repudable dealer?

Yes, the Beverage Factory is a reputable dealer.  I have had several transactions with them and they have always been good.

Yes, though I don't own one, I have heard they are OK.  I don't think they are metric, so that is good.  You will still want an external temperature controller.   

FWIW, I also installed a tower blower so that the beer in the lines in the tower don't warm up as much resulting in a 1st glass of foam.  I also got a cheap fishing temperature gauge, the sensor from it is sitting in a beer can filled with distilled water inside the kegerator.  The reason for that is liquid temperature is what you are concerned with, not air temperature.  But the most important item is the temp. controller.

If you think you'll want a double faucet in the future then the Magic Chef becomes more attractive because you'll replace the whole tower so the metric part doesn't matter then.

In your shopping also look for a Danby.  They are probably the most common kegerator out there.  They have the same issues with needing an external controller though.  And they are more difficult to install the controller... but they can be had for less than the Summit.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/fulllsizekegerator/danby_Danbyblack-1.shtml

This one comes with an electronic digital controller. And for $10 more I can get a duo faucet tower.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/fulllsizekegerator/danby_Danbyblack-1.shtml

This one comes with an electronic digital controller. And for $10 more I can get a duo faucet tower.
It's a bit more than $10 - the single comes with a D-coupler or ball locks already, the duo does not. 
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 05:26:16 pm »
I just need the single anyway. I cant find any reviews on this item. Would you say Danby is a good brand? I dont mind spending money but I hate spending it and being disappointed with what I bought.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 05:28:55 pm »
No. Nearest costco is 70 miles from here.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
I just need the single anyway. I cant find any reviews on this item. Would you say Danby is a good brand? I dont mind spending money but I hate spending it and being disappointed with what I bought.

Well I have a Danby and a Vissani.  The Danby is the better of the two.  That seems like a pretty decent price, and a lot of people have used them for years.  I like mine and would probably purchase another if this one gave up the ghost.

The temperature controller mentioned is the stock one  and is not good.  But you may have a different opinion.  Regardless of which one you go with, I do recommend using it for a bit without modification - you may get lucky and it will work fine for you.  Just be forewarned that with all these entry-level kegerators, most people get a Johnson or an ETC, or one of the really cheap ones on ebay - they are still way better than the internal one is.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »
I decided rather than buying an entry level unit I would buy this one:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/beer/sbc500bv.shtml
Hopefully it has an adequate temperature controller.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:54:56 am »
I decided rather than buying an entry level unit I would buy this one:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/beer/sbc500bv.shtml
Hopefully it has an adequate temperature controller.
Very nice - let us know how you like it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:18:45 am »
Mennards here in town had the Magic Chef I was looking at online on display. I gave the faucet a pull and it felt like if I wasn't careful I would break it, or the tower would come off. It just had a real cheap toy like feel to it. I would have been really upset if I spent $500 and that is what showed up.

I will let you know what I think of the Summit in a few weeks. Now I need to figure out how to clean my keg and replace the O rings in it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:53 am »
I will let you know what I think of the Summit in a few weeks. Now I need to figure out how to clean my keg and replace the O rings in it.
That is much easier than choosing a kegerator! :)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!