Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much lactic acid?  (Read 9532 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Too much lactic acid?
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »
Getting ready to brew a German pils.  Looks like as part of my water adjustment I need to add 2.6 ml of lactic acid to the mash and 1.3 ml. to the sparge.  Doesn't seem excessive to me, but I wanted to get opinions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Too much lactic acid?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »
Getting ready to brew a German pils.  Looks like as part of my water adjustment I need to add 2.6 ml of lactic acid to the mash and 1.3 ml. to the sparge.  Doesn't seem excessive to me, but I wanted to get opinions.
Do you check your mash pH?  I would add conservatively and check it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
If that's what Bru'n water tells you to do, it's probably correct. Double-check for operator error on the spreadsheet, but it's always within +/-0.1 pH when I check with my meter.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

musseldoc

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »
The volumes sound reasonable, but it ultimately depends on the acid concentration and buffering capacity of your mash. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »
Do you check your mash pH?  I would add conservatively and check it.

I usually just add what Bru'nwater tells me and check it afterward.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »
If that's what Bru'n water tells you to do, it's probably correct. Double-check for operator error on the spreadsheet, but it's always within +/-0.1 pH when I check with my meter.

Yeah, that's what it says.  I'm not as concerned about the pH as the taste threshold.  Is that enough to taste in a 5.5 gal. batch if that's what I need to hit my pH? 

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »
This is for 5 gallons, right?  That sounds close to the rate that I use in the mash, and I have relatively low bicarbonates in my water (around 60ppm).  What is your water like?  I use half of what you plan to in the sparge water to adjust it to pH 5.5... If you need that much acid to bring your sparge water down to the correct pH,  you may be able to use more in the mash.

The other alternative is to reduce the pH more in the kettle.  Although it doesn't sound Reinheitsgebot-kosher to do that, Kao has talked about it and actually mentioned that a higher mash pH can favor the enzymes that make a more attenuative wort.  If you aim for 5.4 or 5.5 in the mash you should be fine, but you can reduce it to 5.2 with acid (or perhaps, a decoction) after that. 

At any rate, I think you current additions should be fine.  Definitely try to measure the pH if you can.  It's not necessary to do every time, but I find it very useful to calibrated against the spreadsheet estimates.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »

Yeah, that's what it says.  I'm not as concerned about the pH as the taste threshold.  Is that enough to taste in a 5.5 gal. batch if that's what I need to hit my pH?

No, you won't taste sourness from that amount of Lactic acid.  If anything, it adds to the "german flavor".

Anywhere from 2 to 3% acid malt is common in German light lagers.  If you download Kai's water calculator spreadsheet, there is an option to enter either ml of lactic acid or % grist as acid malt.  I'm pretty sure what you're using is within this range.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:47:31 pm by narvin »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Too much lactic acid?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »

No, you won't taste sourness from that amount of Lactic acid.  If anything, it adds to the "german flavor".

Anywhere from 2 to 3% acid malt is common in German light lagers.  If you download Kai's water calculator spreadsheet, there is an option to enter either ml of lactic acid or % grist as acid malt.  I'm pretty sure what you're using is within this range.

I thought that the actual addition of any type of acid to a German lager was against the reinheitsghebot? I thought that is why they used acid malt???

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »

+1
If you add 2% acid malt to the grist, you'll probably find you don't need much else. You may not remember it, but you really liked my Pils last year and that's what I did. It went 1st in category at both Sasquatch and HOV. Our water is probably pretty close.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »
Acid malt is just pils malt that's been sprayed with lactic acid. Adding liquid lactic acid will do the same thing.

narvin

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

I thought that the actual addition of any type of acid to a German lager was against the reinheitsghebot? I thought that is why they used acid malt???

Do pragmatist beatniks follow the R-hgbot?  Other than the hocus pocus, lactic acid should be the same.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
Do pragmatist beatniks follow the R-hgbot?

That's just for Bavarians. North Germans play loose and fast with the rules.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Too much lactic acid?
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »

Do pragmatist beatniks follow the R-hgbot?  Other than the hocus pocus, lactic acid should be the same.

I don't know, the more I get into this the more I believe in hocus pocus. ;)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:37 pm »

Ouch...so much for a kinder gentler 2013. Too bad it's not a leap year.;) There' d be an extra day to give Denny crap!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"