Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest schnitzel - response and thanks!  (Read 11557 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Oktoberfest schnitzel - response and thanks!
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:38:53 am »
Since some of my forum friends may not be checking the other site any longer, I am posting a response to my old thread here:

well, little foggy this morning, and just finished cleaning up the mess (did as much as we could last night, but we couldn't make it through)

was a big hit - the only thing I royally screwed up was the spaetzle - I made the dough too firm I guess and it wouldn't press through anything - colander, large holed cheese grater, slotted spoon, so I just chopped it a little and tore chunks, but it wasn't right. next time I might just buy the dry kind...

the pork schnitzel was fantastic - my butcher actually flattened them for me, so I didn't get to try the celery seeds, but that was okay.

I made the jaeger mushroom sauce, but I think my proportion of sour cream was too high and it became more of a white mushroom sauce - still damned tasty, but not brown as I expected.

the BEST part, by far, was the pretzels for appetizer - good call woody - I actually used Matt's recipe (pawtucket patriot) and it was delectable. They could have been a little fluffier and I wonder if I should have egg washed them before salting and putting in the oven, but otherwise fantastic - i think the lack of fluffiness was not kneading enough nor giving enough rise time (50 min) - we kinda ran out of time :oops: and had to forge ahead.

On the beer front, what was funniest to me, was that despite some killer maerzen, dunkel and pilsner on tap, all the guys kept asking for the IPA :shock: - I tried reminding them that we were eating german food, but they wanted hops...

Thanks for all your help, fellas and if you have any advice on the mistakes I made, don't hesitate to post!

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline woody

• Cellarman
Re: Oktoberfest schnitzel - response and thanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:08:12 pm »
i hope you're happy, you mentioned pretzels and I ended up missing half the Pats game making them   ;)

I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »
Hey blatz, dont sweat the spatzle. And dont go buy the dry kind. Its not the same. Next time just add a little more milk to make the batter more like thin pancake or crepe batter.

Two cups flour, two eggs, two table spoons of melted butter or gee. Milk as needed till you reach the desired consistency. Mix with a whisk if you have one to get all of the lumps out.  A fork works fine too just tkaes a little longer.

Also you dont have to put the celery seed on hen you smack them. You can sprinkle it on after. I just like doing it before because it drives some of them down andlooks like they are actually in the meat when you eat them.

You can use caraway seeds too . Thats what a lot of Czechoslovakians use on their cutlets.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how it went. Sounds awesome. Next year I want an invite! I'll even make the schnitize and the Jager gravy.  ;)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how it went. Sounds awesome. Next year I want an invite! I'll even make the schnitize and the Jager gravy.  ;)

definitely! - bring a keg of Dark Moon and you can stay as long as you like, or at least until the beer runs dry  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:48:20 am »
I just tapped my Ofest yesterday. I love this time of year. Glad to hear your party was a hit.
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »

You can use caraway seeds too . Thats what a lot of Czechoslovakians use on their cutlets.

Hey capozzoli I do not recall caraway seeds in there.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:21:52 am »
Hey you're not alone, I overdid the sour cream in my jaegerschnitzel sauce as well.  Not only that but I was a bit too liberal with the bit of red wine I added, and it ended up looking purple, and tasting somewhat strange.  Next time I think I will start off with more of a gravy base...sautee the mushrooms in butter, then start whisking in flour, then adding stock, and continuing until I've got a mushroom gravy, then mildly flavor it with the other things (sour cream, wine, and of course loads of pepper).

Home fries with onions in bacon grease, though, that's heart-stoppingly good eating!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:44:45 am »

Hey capozzoli I do not recall caraway seeds in there.

May just be my mother in law. She puts caraway seeds in everything. She never heard of putting celery seeds on cutlets but told me she uses a light sprinkle of caraway seeds. Told me that is what they do there. Im sure it could be worng cause she is a lunatic.

Works great though, adds a nice flavor to your cutlets. 

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:11 am »

May just be my mother in law. She puts caraway seeds in everything. She never heard of putting celery seeds on cutlets but told me she uses a light sprinkle of caraway seeds. Told me that is what they do there. Im sure it could be worng cause she is a lunatic.

Works great though, adds a nice flavor to your cutlets. 
I knew you had first handed info :D

Keep on cooking!!!
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 01:28:04 pm »
Hey you're not alone, I overdid the sour cream in my jaegerschnitzel sauce as well.  Not only that but I was a bit too liberal with the bit of red wine I added, and it ended up looking purple, and tasting somewhat strange.  Next time I think I will start off with more of a gravy base...sautee the mushrooms in butter, then start whisking in flour, then adding stock, and continuing until I've got a mushroom gravy, then mildly flavor it with the other things (sour cream, wine, and of course loads of pepper).

Home fries with onions in bacon grease, though, that's heart-stoppingly good eating!

For my tastes simpler is better. I might would use white wine but not read wine. But for me it is just Mushrooms, Chicken Broth, Sour Creme and salt and pepper and corn starch or flour to thicken.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 03:08:55 pm »
Yes, I could see that.  I tried the wine because the local German restaurant mentions their "jaeger" sauce as a burgundy mushroom sauce, but I think they may have a very light touch with the wein, and less sour cream than I used, for sure.

Will be trying again shortly!  (got to practice for a late-toberfest party)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:25:34 am »
I'm going to make jagerschnitzel for dinner tonight - you guys made me hungry. 8)

Offline dwarven_stout

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:32:51 am »
Now I'm hungry for German food as well. Coincidentally, I've got kasseler and homemade sauerkraut in the fridge...

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:26:16 pm »
This thread needs some pictures.

Here an image after I pounded my meat. I sprinkled them with salt, pepper, celery seeds, caraway and marjoram.

Fresh bread crumbs from stale homemade bread. The only way to go.

Sauerkraut is from a can though. Still good.

Ill be packing up the crock with some Kapusta this week to get it ready for Xmas. We are doing the traditional Slovakian feast this year.  

I decided to cook after all Bluesman, I just cant seem to stay out of the kitchen for long. ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:28:20 pm by capozzoli »