Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for a Good Online Supply Store  (Read 8251 times)

Offline fat bob

• 1st Kit
Looking for a Good Online Supply Store
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:30 pm »
Greetings fellow brewers! As you can see this is my first post, and if this is the wrong area please let me know and I will move it. I am writing for help in finding a good online store for brewing supplies. Between work and family life getting to the closest brew mart can be challenging. I have searched on the web and prices and shipping seem to vary quite a bit. Anyone with recommendations on a good online store? Thank you in advance for your time!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Looking for a Good Online Supply Store
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »
+1 on midwest

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
My favorite online retailers is MoreBeer. Free shipping with any purchase over 59 bucks!!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »
Where do you live?  It makes a difference when you are ordering yeast in the summer!

I like Midwest as well until Keystone updated their website.  Being in the Philly area, a difference in 3 days shipping is huge.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
For me you can't beat Norther Brewer, their site is great, easy to navigate, shipping is reasonable.  I've used Rebel Brewer in the past too. 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline fat bob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »
I live in southern california about an hour or so away from San Diego. I hadn't even thought about yeast in the summer with the shipping! Good thought! Thank you to all for the suggestions I just got back home and will be looking at them in a few minutes!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:36 pm »
Greetings fellow brewers! As you can see this is my first post, and if this is the wrong area please let me know and I will move it. I am writing for help in finding a good online store for brewing supplies. Between work and family life getting to the closest brew mart can be challenging. I have searched on the web and prices and shipping seem to vary quite a bit. Anyone with recommendations on a good online store? Thank you in advance for your time!

I usually price out what I'm looking for at Northern Brewer, Midwest, and MoreBeer to see what gets me what I want for the best total price.

Although, we've recently had a homebrew shop move into town and so far, it's been excellent.  Good product, good prices, and good attitude - done much less online shopping since.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:46 pm »
Northern Brewer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:53:12 pm »
I use Austin Homebrew Supply the most often. They seem to have the right balance of selection, pricing and flat rate shipping for me. I use Northern Brewer the second most often - they probably have the best selection of the online retailers, but they don't have flat rate shipping any more so YMMV on cost. I have dealt with customer service from both of them, and I have been very happy with my experiences.

I've also used Midwest, Rebel Brewer, and Farmhouse Brewing Supply and have had good results from all of them. If you're a big hophead, then Yakima Valley Hops, Hops Direct, and Freshops are worth looking into for hard to get hop varieties or for bulk orders.

If you're placing a big order, it is worth your while to price out several different retailers for your order. Shipping costs can be significant, so make sure you factor that in.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Looking for a Good Online Supply Store
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:43 am »
It matters where you live, I agree. If you live in the South East I recommend www.rebelbrewer.com - that said, I've been very happy with Northern Brewer and More Beer is great when they actually have the item you want IN STOCK (and good luck with that!).

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:55 am »
I am partial to http://midwestsupplies.com

+1 Midwest supplies, they are the biggest one that ships APO if there is something I need.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
My favorite online retailers is MoreBeer. Free shipping with any purchase over 59 bucks!!

I discovered that because of the price differences, midwest is often cheaper than morebeer even with shipping tacked on. It pays to check several places and look at your totals after shipping. I like midwest because they carry some bottle caps that I really like that I have not seen anywhere else. Also midwest is considerably cheaper on sacks of Rahr 2 Row than anybody else I have looked at.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:42 am »
I've had good experiences with brewmasterswarehouse.com

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:53 am »
I agree that your location is super important. Being from California I usual get my stuff within two to three days (from the time they ship it) from just about any shop California I order from. Here are my favorites:

Morebeer- Pros: good selection, good prices, love the $59 free shipping (regular shipping is not too bad either), friendly help. Also, they have a shop in Irvine, don't know how close that is to you, but if you are between LA and SD can't be too far. Cons, they run out stuff sometimes which blows. Also, usually takes them a few days to actually ship, sometimes it's fast but sometimes it can take them up to 5 days. www.morebeer.com

Williams Brewing- Pros: Order placed by 4 pm ship the next day, so I usually can get my stuff within 2 to 3 days of ordering. Nice website, good but not amazing selection. Reasonable shipping rates. Cons: Prices are a little higher, but not crazy. Service is good for shipping etc, brew knowledge is just ok if you need help since they are an internet only based shop. www.williamsbrewing.com

The Beverage People- Pros: Pros: Really great service and family own. Fast, flat rate shipping. Solid inventory. Cons: princes are a little higher but again not crazy, website could be a lot better. thebeveragepeople.com.

I also use Northern Brewer now and then because of there selection, but less so since they stopped flat rate shipping. I have also used Rebel Brewer, Brewers Warehouse, and Midwest Supply. All of which have done a great job. Though I do try to keep it in California if I can.

Good luck!!!