Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone ever purchased a barrel from barrelsonline.com?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline tracebusta

• 1st Kit
Anyone ever purchased a barrel from barrelsonline.com?
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »
I was just curious if anyone has purchased a barrel from http://barrelsonline.com/. If so, what has been your experience like with the barrel? How have your beers turned out? How long have they lasted?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Anyone ever purchased a barrel from barrelsonline.com?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:55:26 pm »
Prices seem good, but I wouldn't want a spigot. Plus, I would want a used spirits barrel before a new barrel.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
I wouldn't mind having some of those if you could naturally carb in them.  I think a 5l would be fun to have at get togethers.
Don AHA member

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:27:26 pm »
I wouldn't mind having some of those if you could naturally carb in them.  I think a 5l would be fun to have at get togethers.

I wonder if you could put a bladder in it of some sort and carb that.  or how about putting a smal 1-2g keg in the barrel and close it back up?

Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »
I bought one 5.28 gallon barrel with brass hops from them.  They did a really nice job burning my logo on the head.  However, the damn thing leaked terrible from the start.  I soaked it in water for days, I soaked it totally submerged in water, I pounded the hops down tighter on the staves.  Still leaked terrible.  They did send me a replacement with steel hops.  This one also leaked terrible from the start.  Now I had two leaky barrels!  Then tried the French method of repeatedly putting boiling water into the keg.  This finally stopped the leaking.  Took me three months working on them to finally make them water tight.  When I look at the staves you can see they do not fit as tight as better made barrels.  After this bad experience I have stayed with used barrels and have had no leakage problems with them.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:34:51 am »
I hear leaking is generally a problem with many of the smaller barrel manufacturers on the retail market.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing